By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Move and Kinect are not attracting new (casual?) customers ...

kowenicki said:
benao87 said:
Mr.Metralha said:

We still have to wait for the Holidays and then judge that based on the numbers for kinect and move.

Pretty much this.

@Kowenicki do you have a link to the source of those numbers?

on the nintendo investor relations site. i looked at 6 months ending Sep 2008/Sept 2009 and 9 months ending Dec 2008/ Dec 2009

And the information about Microsoft's Entertainment And Devices Division, because according to the article those 500 are only for kinect, its not clear if that includes all the advertising since they announced project natal. However, that budget is still quite bigger than nintendo's for the last quarter of each year (410ish, taking into account the different currency exchange)

Around the Network

So if only old console owners buys a Kinect why is the $300 bundle sold out everywhere in my city? When Xbox is already in the 3rd place to begin with in Sweden. And its not like every store gets few cameras, my local gamestop sold out over 30 console bundles in one week.

The numbers might be true for Move however, but the actual controllers and camera bundles are really popular according to the same guy at Gamestop.

The 360 SKUs with kinect bundled, both the 4 gig and 250 gig, have been sold out at Amazon for almost a week now and are sold out at Target, Best Buy and Gamestop online as well. They are getting harder and harder to find at brick and mortar stores as well, so it appears that Kinect is selling to a good deal of new 360 owners, not just to us who already owned one.

Without resorting to claims of being "more advanced", in what way has Playstation Move or Kinect demonstrated new game play experiences? How have either platform demonstrated superiority in social gaming which has been the bread and butter of the Wii?

Let's see how Kinect does this week, before making any sweeping statements, about success or failure.  In 10 days, Kinect sold over 1 million UNITS…if you had said, at the beginning of the year that Kinect would do this, and people would have been cackling and smirking at those figures.  I think M$ is going to insure that sufficient units are available for Black Friday sales, and come Monday, we might be looking at 2 million Kinect units sold to consumers…so where exactly is the cutoff to call it a huge success, given that this a 5-year old console, and this is a $149 “accessory”?  We will have to wait and see, but methinks regardless of how well Kinect sells, some will spin It to project an image of failure…so sad.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

Can we wait until AFTER Black Friday to make sweeping generalizations from small poll samples?

So what are the chances that this survey was done before the Kinect media and advertising got started.  Most people had no idea what Kinect was just a month ago.  Then Kinect started showing up in Oprah, Ellen, Today Show, Jummy Fallon, etc. etc. etc.  Follow that up by advertising and reviews my non gaming media.  The real survey will take place the next 5-7 weeks.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:

So what are the chances that this survey was done before the Kinect media and advertising got started.  Most people had no idea what Kinect was just a month ago.  Then Kinect started showing up in Oprah, Ellen, Today Show, Jummy Fallon, etc. etc. etc.  Follow that up by advertising and reviews my non gaming media.  The real survey will take place the next 5-7 weeks.

Don't forget the Burger King we give away a kinect every 15 minutes thing.

@happysquirrel  the Kinect and Move being more advanced than Wiimote is not a claim, those are hard facts. why would they not be advanced, their coming years later. The fact that they are more advanced means you can do things with them that you couldnt do on Wii. Eyepet, Tumble, and Beat Skecthers are 3 games that CANNOT be done on Wii. thats just for Move and just of the top of my head. and before we go making claims about the games, lets give MS & Sony a few months to see what they do with their add-ons before we start saying "they have no games"

oniyide said:

@happysquirrel  the Kinect and Move being more advanced than Wiimote is not a claim, those are hard facts. why would they not be advanced, their coming years later. The fact that they are more advanced means you can do things with them that you couldnt do on Wii. Eyepet, Tumble, and Beat Skecthers are 3 games that CANNOT be done on Wii. thats just for Move and just of the top of my head. and before we go making claims about the games, lets give MS & Sony a few months to see what they do with their add-ons before we start saying "they have no games"

I don't think you understand what I am saying ...

A lot of core gamers are heavily interested in the technology so they focus heavily on whether something is more advanced; the typical gamer is heavily interested in results, primarily in a gaming product providing a new experience. Sony and Microsoft could travel 1000 years in the future and build an add-on from future technology, but if it doesn't result in a new gameplay experience the typical gamer won't care.