By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Move and Kinect are not attracting new (casual?) customers ...

libellule said:

- the 500M seem to have been spent exclusively in NA lol

So there're even more $$$ wasted? O_o

Around the Network

We still have to wait for the Holidays and then judge that based on the numbers for kinect and move.

kowenicki said:

The 500m is for the world, for the whole 4th quarter and for the whole of MS gaming division, including games, LIVE, XBOX and XBOX Kinect.

It is the same as the Nintendo budget and probbaly less than Playstation budget.  It really isnt that unusual.

Just thought I'd clear that up for you all.

You seriously think MS is spending 500 million in just this quarter?

kowenicki said:
Jadedx said:
kowenicki said:

The 500m is for the world, for the whole 4th quarter and for the whole of MS gaming division, including games, LIVE, XBOX and XBOX Kinect.

It is the same as the Nintendo budget and probbaly less than Playstation budget.  It really isnt that unusual.

Just thought I'd clear that up for you all.

You seriously think MS is spending 500 million in just this quarter?

Yes.

As is Nintendo... I checked Ninty accounts.. they typically spend $500m every calendar yr 4th quarter Oct/Nov/Dec...

It really isnt that much.

MS is not Nintendo, 360 isnt even sold in the same amount of countries, and the original NYP article which the 500 million rumor came from said its JUST for kinect but it did not say it was just for this holiday season.

As I've said before, Kinect and Move are not going to sell, at least in terms of moving hardware. The reason for it is not prices, but the fact that most of their libraries seem to be filled with "birdmen" games; that is, games that are made under the false assumption that casual gamers/expanded audience are stupid gamers, and thus like dumbed down poor quality games. They are games that simply try to make the wings rather than studying how to fly. This strategy didn't work with third parties on the Wii, and it certainly won't work on a motion sensing add on for the HD consoles.

They look at the cutesy Wii games that sold massive amounts and associate this with watered down, poor quality, etc, so they make games that reflect this style, rather than examining the true essence that made these games so successful.

Around the Network

Then why are their console sales increasing?

RCTjunkie said:

Normal holiday boosts, Black Ops?

Move has already proven back in September that it hasn't had an affect on PS3 sales, except maybe a tiny one in Europe. And I really don't think Kinect is doing as much as people think for the 360. In other words, if Kinect never existed, I still think 360 would be getting similar sales (maybe a bit lower) simply off the strength of Black Ops and the holiday boost.

Mr.Metralha said:

We still have to wait for the Holidays and then judge that based on the numbers for kinect and move.

Pretty much this.

@Kowenicki do you have a link to the source of those numbers?

Metallicube said:
RCTjunkie said:

Normal holiday boosts, Black Ops?

Move has already proven back in September that it hasn't had an affect on PS3 sales, except maybe a tiny one in Europe. And I really don't think Kinect is doing as much as people think for the 360. In other words, if Kinect never existed, I still think 360 would be getting similar sales (maybe a bit lower) simply off the strength of Black Ops and the holiday boost.

The jump from kinect was noticable. I would doubt that xbox would be doing anywhere near this good with out it.

However I did see a sh=t ton of them at wal-mart for black friday.

mai said:
libellule said:

Also, although demand for motion controllers Move and Kinect is high amongst owners of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, the results indicate demand amongst consumers who don’t own the consoles already is “tepid.”

I'd like more details on this. Why word survey results so vague?

Though time will tell us all, if it is "tepid" then sales will fall off the cliff when the holiday season ends and won't reemerge next year.

I think post-holiday sales will be the real story-teller of whether Move and Kinect are the next big thing or just too late for the party.

Wii initially sold to Nintendo-fans (Zelda!) and gamers interested in the motion controls, then spread to casuals after they'd gotten to play it over the holidays.   Wiis remained sold out all year (2007).  So if Move and Kinect are still selling strong post-Christmas it'll bode very well for them.   I expect them to be a one-season wonder though unless we see something truly new and not just a lot of Wii-too games.