By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Returns to CES (After 17th years)

Nintendo Returns to CES (After 17th years)

Business as usual 9 9.18%

3DS extravaganza 68 69.39%

Super Wii incoming, Pachter was right 16 16.33%

Dissapointment 5 5.10%

Total:98

I just thought of something. With Sony taking its PlayStation brand out of gaming and into multi-entertainment devices like the rumoured PSPad or the confirmed PSPhone. Maybe Nintendo is going to announce a new venture with Sharp, maybe a new 3D glasses free TV. Or maybe a Nintendo phone or maybe Nintendo marketing another electronic device.

Now I'm not going to put money or my reputation on Nintendo breaking out of just the gaming buisness. But I will say it is possible. Also Nintendo might be marketing the 3DS as a multi-entertainment device at CES, one for internet browsing , movie watching, listening to MP3's.

Nintendo could do alot at CES, man I'm all tingly thinking about it.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

The fact that anyone would consider a new Nintendo console being announced before the 3DS baffles me.  This is going to be all about the 3DS, and more specifically what it'll be doing in the West.  Nintendo won't be announcing any major, new hardware until the 3DS has established itself - so probably E3 2011.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I think they should be announcing a Wii revision of some sort, but they're not going to do that.

Definetly a 3DS showing, and it makes excellent business sense for the company.

- Mature market means direct targeting of adults who will enjoy the cool gadget aspect.

- Competing with 3D Cameras (if they even show them at CES next year).

- Start the year with a huge marketing bang so, regardless of wut happens over Christmas, the 4th quarter begins with alot of market confidence in the company.

- Announce film/tv studio tieins. Direct competition with Apple and Sony.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

weird post problem

Just saying a phone is a bad idea right now, just look at the low sales of the Windows 7 phones for eg. Nintendo would be naive to think they can jump straight it, and it also distract from the 3DS release.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

3DS roll out, probably with launch details for the west (date, price, games, etc).  With CES being the venue too, I think we'll see more of it's multimedia capabilities talked about than most in the gaming sphere are expecting, and a big emphasis on 3D movies too.

3DS For the win, and who voted for dissapointment?

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Azelover said:

I think they should be announcing a Wii revision of some sort, but they're not going to do that.

No, they certainly should not be doing that. 

megaman79 said:

Definetly a 3DS showing, and it makes excellent business sense for the company.

- Mature market means direct targeting of adults who will enjoy the cool gadget aspect.

- Competing with 3D Cameras (if they even show them at CES next year).

- Start the year with a huge marketing bang so, regardless of wut happens over Christmas, the 4th quarter begins with alot of market confidence in the company.

- Announce film/tv studio tieins. Direct competition with Apple and Sony.

Agree with you big time about the movie studios. I think Nintendo is going to announce a big partnership to deliver content to 3DS at CES.

Joelcool7 said:

I just thought of something. With Sony taking its PlayStation brand out of gaming and into multi-entertainment devices like the rumoured PSPad or the confirmed PSPhone. Maybe Nintendo is going to announce a new venture with Sharp, maybe a new 3D glasses free TV. Or maybe a Nintendo phone or maybe Nintendo marketing another electronic device.

Now I'm not going to put money or my reputation on Nintendo breaking out of just the gaming buisness. But I will say it is possible. Also Nintendo might be marketing the 3DS as a multi-entertainment device at CES, one for internet browsing , movie watching, listening to MP3's.

Nintendo could do alot at CES, man I'm all tingly thinking about it.

I sure as hell hope not.