By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Mafia -Round 23-

Okay I am here...

Why no Longcat? Is Shortcat and Tacgnol okay?

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Vetteman94 said:

This is absolutely incorrect, Scum do not want no day kills,  they want mislynches.  They want as many kills to thin out the numbers of the town as possible.   And randomly voting for someone on the first day is a quick way of helping them with that.  

Not entirely true.

Scum want mislynches, but they also don't want to be associated with a mislynch.

Random voting on the first day doesn't guarantee a lynch without mafia truly helping out, because frankly, anyone that gets lynched due to random voting doesn't deserve to be playing. Bandwagons are needed for that, not random votes.

I dont recall many people being lynched because they were associated with a mislynch.   Its a threat that is constantly thrown out there but never acted upon. 

And you cant always blame the player getting lynched because the town was misinformed or refused to listen to him.  Thats just a cop out to make the players who forced the mislynch to make them feel good about themselves, and it's utter BS.   It some cases yeah, the player should have done more to stop it from happening, but most cases its the other way. 

theprof00 said:

If there are only 4 mafia, we technically have a free lynch available today.

How is that?

This is DogOfWar_3ever: 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Vetteman94 said:
theprof00 said:
If there are only 4 mafia, we technically have a free lynch available today.

How is that?

OK, being serious. 
I presume he's talking about the way the L-numbers work out under the assumption that there will be exactly one nightkill every night.  And it's better for the town to have odd numbers going into the endgame. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Vetteman94 said:

This is absolutely incorrect, Scum do not want no day kills,  they want mislynches.  They want as many kills to thin out the numbers of the town as possible.   And randomly voting for someone on the first day is a quick way of helping them with that.  

Not entirely true.

Scum want mislynches, but they also don't want to be associated with a mislynch.

Random voting on the first day doesn't guarantee a lynch without mafia truly helping out, because frankly, anyone that gets lynched due to random voting doesn't deserve to be playing. Bandwagons are needed for that, not random votes.

I think Mafia are not in favour of day 1 lynches because if they mislynch without any possible evidence they would get a target real fast. So I believe Mafia don't want to randomly vote and let someine die unless they find somekind of mistake in the persons statements. Also it is very important to look at a person voting preferneces. I fsuddently someone who always was for a day 1 lynch does not want to lynch there is something suspicious about him.

Vetteman94 said:
theprof00 said:
Vetteman94 said:

Not entirely true.

I dont recall many people being lynched because they were associated with a mislynch.   Its a threat that is constantly thrown out there but never acted upon. 

And you cant always blame the player getting lynched because the town was misinformed or refused to listen to him.  Thats just a cop out to make the players who forced the mislynch to make them feel good about themselves, and it's utter BS.   It some cases yeah, the player should have done more to stop it from happening, but most cases its the other way. 

I'm not making either of those points.

I'm saying that mislynches don't just happen based on random voting. There needs to be a push. Mafia will seldom push for a (mis)lynch because they don't want to be affiliated with that action. Sure, nobody really gets lynched from reference to a mislynch, but it does provide evidence toward a future lynch. A townie cannot be lynched randomly..it can only come from wagoning. So random votes have no relevance to scumminess. Bandwagoning is a far more accurate tell.

To address your other question:

Say there are 13 townies and 4 mafia.

If we were to mislynch every single day, and follow it with a night kill every day, then in on day 5 we would have to get one mafia lynched to stay in the game. If there were 12 townies, we would need to lynch one mafia by day 4, and if there were 14 townies, we would still need a mafia lynch by day 5.

To show it in a data plot:

12 townies, 4 mafia:  mafia wins by night 4 (from kill)
13 townies, 4 mafia: mafia wins by night 5 (from lynch)
14 townies, 4 mafia: mafia wins by night 5 (from kill)

Conversely, if we don't lynch anyone on first day:

12 townies, 4 mafia: mafia wins by day 5 (from lynch)
13 townies, 4 mafia: mafia wins by night 5 (from kill)
14 townies, 4 mafia: mafia wins by day 6 (from lynch)

So you see, by comparing day 1 lynch, and day 1 no lynch for 13 townies, game ends at the same time irregardless.

Vetteman94 said:
nordlead said:

Anyways, I think wasted first days are very scummy. Scum are the ones that want no day kills and all night kills. Also, (and I'm going off memory so I could be very wrong) prior to my taking a break, day 1 lynches were not harmful to our chances of winning.

I agree I'm not 100% correct, but Scum want the night because they can chat and night kill and all that great stuff while the town sits and waits. Yes, they want mislynches, but would be happy with continued no lynches too.

However, random lynches aren't so random. There are a set of people who know who is working with them and other factors. A "random" day 1 lynch will always be better than a no-lynch day one in my opinion, as we are left with no information day 2 and might as well have started with one less pro-town person if no lynch is performed. While we may be down a townie, it is a risk worth taking as we gain information or even better yet, might just nab a scum.

Also, having read your later reply, while I can I agree that you aren't going to get direct information from a mislynch (unless someone claims cop and then gets it wrong) I have gleaned very useful information from vote histories to the point where I've picked every scum in the game only to get killed off later. I even directly remember having a PM convo with Hatmoza after the fact. Not saying it will happen again, but mislynches can be very bad for scum and scum should be very happy to go into night 1 with a no-lynch as it is one less day worth of information to use against them.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Vote: TruckoSaurus

I'm going to get you this time you Canadian! >:D

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

dsister said:

Vote: TruckoSaurus

I'm going to get you this time you Canadian! >:D

Never! Canadians rule.. want proof?

Who's the sexiest man alive (according to People magazine and me)? Ryan Renolds... a Canadian!

Signature goes here!