By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Tournament III Impressions

Got the game, played a few campaign levels and some bot games to get the hang of it. Haven't tried multiplayer yet, I have played very little UT 2004 on the PC, so everything is pretty much brand new to me. 1st, the game is considerably slower than the PC version, but also the fastest console shooter I've played (I think). I'm playing with a controller and it fits very well. Game looks even better than I expected, definitely one of the best looking console games. Characters, vehicles, guns, levels, projectiles and explosions all look spectacular. Maps have a lot more variety than Gears and are much bigger. Lots of weapons in this game with lots of different uses (you'll be switching alot). Vehicles are extremely different (tried about 5 types): Everything from gigantic robots with lots of power but slow movement to mid sized spider-like machines (think Matrix) that can roll in a ball and run you over to a small stealthy vehicle to a fasr hovercraft with normal weaponry. Once you play a vehicle map you...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

will be amazed at how much stuff is going on, so many different types of units and bullets on screen, it's really something that will impress.

Played 4 types of games: Team Deathmatch, Capture The Flag, Vehicle CTF and another mode that I forgot the name of which involves capturing nodes. Enjoyed them all, if I recall there are 7-8 game types.

Single player campaign is just bot matches with a loose story around, it's pretty much a tutorial that introduces the different game types, it's still fun so I'll probably play through it.

Heard a lot about Epic's bots and yeah they're good, gonna turn the difficulty up on them now that I'm finally getting used to the game.

You create your own character with a fair amount of customization and around 12 different character types, including humans (male and female), Cyborgs and the Krall (Aliens). There's enough character tweaking here that you can bet most players won't look exactly the same.

Game runs so smoothly (smoother than most single player games) that it...

Awesome! This game is on my Christmas list.

Did you pre-order? If not, was it hard to find?

How's multiplayer. Whenever I get Ill pwn you.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

shocks me how many problems exist in other games. Huge levels, massive amounts of detail on everything yet it runs like perfectly, other developers should take lessons from Epic (Bioware, EA...).

There are minor instances of texture pop in, but nowhere near as bad or common as in Mass Effect. Basically for two seconds when a map first loads, you'll see a little of this and then after that zero pop in. It's more noticeable in the character creation screen but even there it's 2 seconds tops when you first choose a character.

Framerate is fixed throughout, and it does look better than Gears and much bigger with lots more effects. Definitely nothing like this game in any other console mp shooter.

I can't say for sure, but it is very likely that this becomes the default multiplayer game for me. A lot better than I expected and I haven't even tried online yet or played more than a few maps and game types. The weapons are crazy, there's even a mini nuke thing...

Will have more impressions as I go.

Woo! I gotta make to get this. I never played UT before and I'm really looking forward to it!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Tried to buy it today >< no go :/ they were completely out :( stupid pre-orders >< I didn't think it would sell out!

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

yea me too.. sold out.. dam.... so campaign is basically bot matches.. is it at least co op??

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Would this game also absolutely suck if it was exactly the same yet a Xbox 360 exclusive?

elaborate eugene

*grabs popcorn*

You know what would seriously suck eugene? If you post agian. ever. I lose more and more respect for you every time you open your biased mouth.