By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Tournament III Impressions

Bot matches actually make it a more likely purchase for me. I love bot matches.

Around the Network

Can't wait to play this game--I've never been a fan of the series, but I played a demo and now this game is looking like it will be in my PS3 collection soon.

One thing, tho: the reason that Gears had small maps was purely logistical. Since it's not a game where you run really fast and jump 10 feet in the air (not that that's a bad game style at all), and the emphasis is more on flanking and taking cover, small maps are required to keep the game flowing. Not that I condone doing this, but if you glitch out of a Gears map, the environments are are actually much bigger.

With that said, I'm not flaming UT in any way, and like I said, I'm definitely getting it.

i preordered mine long tie ago and iv got it today.. loved it !!! the gameplay is awsome , the graphic just amazon!!! this is a must have game for every ps3 owner!!!campaign does has a coop which is a plus!!! unlike cod4 u can add friends and u can follow ur friends to a room or invite them!!!

eventhough i actually need help from somebody who played thsi game!!!
i dont know how to use a headset on it!!! is it free mic or u got to press something to talk?

killzone2 =halo killer!!!!!   

PS3 4 life

games playing

PS3:resident evil /resistance / killzone2/fallout3/uncharted/cod4/MGS4/socom/far cry2/biochock/dead space/street fighter4 

XBOX360:Gears of War/ Bioshock/ Halo3/ gears of war2/left 4 dead/mass effect/fable 2/dead rising

Wii:Zelda TP/ Resident evil 4/ Metriod Prime 3

PSP:Only bought it for God of War and the remote control for my PS3gamertag/PSN=  Dumbkilla

Wii#  0378860588753451

Yeah I got mine yesterday (pre-ordered).

Pretty much agree with ckmlb. It's awesome... I'm very impressed. Like CK, I hadn't spent too much time in the past with other UTs, so I wasn't completely sure I'd like it. But the fast action, tight controls, and frantic gameplay have sold me. The maps are extremely well-designed.

BUT... There is one major gripe!

There is no option for split-screen gameplay on this release whatsoever. Not online or in Campaign. This sucks for me and my roomate cuz we were looking forward to having another great co-op romp ala RFOM, Halo, and Gears.

There is obviously online Multiplayer, along with online co-op. But it does annoy me that two can't play on one machine. Seems an odd thing for Epic to leave out...

Although, Spilt-screen could have been something Epic scraped to make the Dec 11 release.

Captain: It's a PC game. There is no such thing as Split Screen in Unreal Tournament, ever. Console gamers seem to be amazed at games that are multiplayer only, or don't feature split screen, or have huge content downloads later on -- as a long time PC gamer, this is old hat. In the case of your complaint, it's a consequence of frame rate maximization. 

Unless there are significant changes to the PS3 version, I was impressed but not enthralled by UT III. As a long time series veteran, I was... puzzled by the rather odd lack of any serious new content. In fact, practically nothing separates UT III from UT 2k4, and I'm rather surprised Epic put the sequential label on it; I think some of my disappointment from the relative lack of new content came from the fact that the game finally earned the title of "III," which I had assumed would only be applied once Epic had significant new gameplay mechanics to provide. I've tilted heavily towards TF2 thus far, although WoW still dominates way too much of my time anyway so the point is almost moot. 

So for me, the game was quite good, but for newcomers, I expect it is excellent. Not having a good deal of new content isn't a big deal if you're entirely new to the franchise anyway :p

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

if someone is able to get sales numbers to see if the game sell or not ...

Time to Work !

I've got it for the PC, after pre-ordering 3 years ago and the networkings broken for NATing out of the box. yay.

Waiting for a patch, but already bored of it and back to TF2.

please somebody hep me!!!! tell me how to use the headset on the ps3 version? do u have to press something to talk or its free mic?

killzone2 =halo killer!!!!!   

PS3 4 life

games playing

PS3:resident evil /resistance / killzone2/fallout3/uncharted/cod4/MGS4/socom/far cry2/biochock/dead space/street fighter4 

XBOX360:Gears of War/ Bioshock/ Halo3/ gears of war2/left 4 dead/mass effect/fable 2/dead rising

Wii:Zelda TP/ Resident evil 4/ Metriod Prime 3

PSP:Only bought it for God of War and the remote control for my PS3gamertag/PSN=  Dumbkilla

Wii#  0378860588753451

Dunno about the headset. I've been online the last few days and it's very frantic and fun.

I wish there were more ppl playing Warfare or CTF, cause Team Deathmatch is a free-for-all. The game is so fast that TDM on smaller maps is crazy, you won't go 2 seconds without a fight. Warfare and CTF have more cooperation and 'us versus them' type of combat. TDM is just get as many kills as possible. TDM in UTIII is like DM in other games because of the chaotic pace. There are a lot of very different maps in this, some of which will confuse you at first with the weird stuff going on (slow mo swimming through jello?).

The one thing I don't understand is why the rocket launcher has a lock on feature. It comes on after a couple seconds of lock, so it's not a win button, but the weapon is overpowered enough as it is...

One thing I like in UT over other shooters is there's little room for sniping because of the speed. And I have to say I'm a big fan of the shock rifle, bio rifle and flak cannon, really like the uses of

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

these 3 guns.

The weapons of UTIII are very good in my opinion. Lack of a melee button is also welcome cause at this speed that could get very annoying.

I think if there are two online shooters ppl should play they are this and TF2, both very fun for different reasons. COD 4 would come a distant 3rd for me. If there weren't a lot of new games that keep coming out, I'd be playing these 3 online a lot more. Gonna try and get more time with UTIII and TF2 after my trip hopefully.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!