By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What direction should/will the Metroid franchise take?

Mr Khan said:
Khuutra said:

I came in here ready to hash it out with the usual suspects (Mr Kahn, Aiddon, et al), but this

This

This is far beyond what I had been expecting. Samus as a damsel in distress? How do you justify this? Why not just have Samus never come out of the suit?

I'm a usual suspect now? I thought our opinions were mostly in line about what was best for the franchise (or have you changed your mind and become one of those "just give it back to Retro!" people?): keep Sakamoto on a tighter leash or at least get him a writer, keep the general playstyle of Other M (plus or minus a few of the finer points), and move forward from there.

Our disagreement was largely over Samus' portrayal in Other M, the difference being that Other M Samus was (sans the pre-Ridley freeze-up) largely how i pictured Samus to be anyway, so it was far less jarring to be introduced to this character

Mortono's actually hanging out on the Demotruk/Soleron end of the spectrum with his opinion, saying that the character of Samus is getting in the way of Metroid, so just make her into a damsel in distress completely (given that they already did in Other M according to people on that side of the argument), introduce somebody else, and make it about the gameplay again.

I'm not saying we're diametrically opposed

Just acknowledging our disagreements (which exist in a relatively narrow band in the context of this discussion).

Around the Network

I agree with mortono on bringing in another character besides Samus as the lead. The games isn't called Samus but Metroid. As long as Metroids appear anyone could be the main character of the game. I disagree with Samus being a damsel in distress she could show up a mentor kind of like Snake in Metal Gear Solid 2 or Dante in Devil may cry 4.

Either that or a game where she is actually doing her job catching criminals as a bounty hunter instead of picking up some distress call constantly.

They should go back to 2D and making them themselves.

Sequence breaking all day, fall backward at the starting point and end up in the final bosses lair. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

I liked alot of other M, but some parts really bugged me, if there is to be a follow up they should keep the dialogue to a minimum, while its true that up to this point we never heard samus speak or interact with anyone other then a few space marines, I never pictured her the way she is portrayed in other M, I know its up to the creator of the character to give it a personality but it wouldnt hurt ask the fans what they think.

Do unto others as they would do unto you.......only do it first!

Around the Network

Whatever they do just come up with some new enimies and some new Bosses. I'm sick of seeing the same enemies from the first game still here. Isn't the Metroid universe huge and with many differ planets and speices yet all we see are the same enemies all the time. The prime series helped out with this but I'd like even more diversity. In other M I new how to defeat almost every enemy I encountered with no difficulty at all. I'd like this to change. And why is everyone in the galatic ferderation or whatever human?

A direction where Sakamoto is not involved.

Also a direction where the cutscenes aren't laughably bad.

Maybe... one with Retro Studios at the helm.

Maybe... one with Miyamoto supervising.

Oh wait, are you guys sick of Prime or not?

Pixel Art can be fun.

New Metroid Prime but not really prime, change timeline, story, enemies, but still similar to prime in gameplay- I don't want dialogue or human beings, just samus alone in an unexplored planet-, I want advanced AI and more interactive enviroments.

A Samus-free Metroid has it's benefits, but to be honest I'd prefer if they just waited a few years then make a Metroid Prime game or a 2D Metroid game with pointer aiming, which ignores the existence of Other M. Perhaps blatant ret-conning is a bit unfair to those who enjoyed Other M, as much as I'd love to see it happen but it should certainly find a way that Other M has no implications upon the new game.

If Metroid Prime does return they need to think hard about how to do it, don't simply make it even more like a first person shooter, find a way to expand upon what is there without dropping the main Metroid values.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:

A Samus-free Metroid has it's benefits, but to be honest I'd prefer if they just waited a few years then make a Metroid Prime game or a 2D Metroid game with pointer aiming, which ignores the existence of Other M. Perhaps blatant ret-conning is a bit unfair to those who enjoyed Other M, as much as I'd love to see it happen but it should certainly find a way that Other M has no implications upon the new game.

If Metroid Prime does return they need to think hard about how to do it, don't simply make it even more like a first person shooter, find a way to expand upon what is there without dropping the main Metroid values.

Given Other M's positioning, retconning is unnecessary. If they do a sequel to Fusion, well there's that. If they decide to cram more in where Prime nominally was (the gap between Metroid and Return of Samus), there's that. Only if Other M received a direct sequel would they have to deal with it's existence in the timeline at all (much like the controversy of Other M "ignoring" Prime, whereas the existence of Prime was irrelevant to the plot lines following it, relying merely upon the fall of zebes in the original Metroid)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.