By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday SALES!!!

Untamoi said:
Calmador said:

That PS3 bundle is terrible, a game that nobody seems to want, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sales (it sold very low) and a movie.. no comment on movie, could be alright and 10$ woopie.

360 bundle is good.. Halo franchise is huge and much more of a console seller to a new buyer.

You have to read ad more carefully. PS3 bundle doesn't have Prince of Persia game, only the movie. Game is Star Wars Unleashed II. The other PS3 bundle has UC2 and Karate Kid.

Thanks for the correcting me.

All gaming systems, consoles/PC, have thier perks... why fight over preferences? I like Coke and you like Pepsi, that's it, let's not fight over which toy we like best cause that's what they are. Is someone's preference in a toy important or is the relationship between you and your neighbor more important? Answer is obvious, but THE most important thing is your relationship with God almighty. God Bless you in Jesus's name.

I can communicate without talking... I can send a loved one money without actually sending money... and I can commit theft without the product disappearing, the point of theft is the point of theft not one of it's possible symptoms which is the product dissappearing. The thief wants to gain something without paying for it, that's the point of theft, the thief doesn't have to care or anybody else has to care if the product dissappears. The product dissappearing is just a possible symptom of theft. Gifts are sacrfices, in order to give a gift, it has to be a genuine sacrfice/gift, meaning a copy of the game isn't still in your PC. Piracy is theft and/or being a culprit of theft.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Cirio said:

Nice deals on consoles, but nothing interesting with games :( Is that ToysRUs deal only for the games listed or is it for any game?

The bottom of that ad says it includes all consoles, so I take that to mean that multi-platform games are all ok. At least that's what I hope when I go in that night to grab Goldeneye and MoH(ps3).

I meant are there any other games being offered apart from those pictured in the ad? The list is pretty lack-luster looking imo...

Cirio said:
superchunk said:
Cirio said:

Nice deals on consoles, but nothing interesting with games :( Is that ToysRUs deal only for the games listed or is it for any game?

The bottom of that ad says it includes all consoles, so I take that to mean that multi-platform games are all ok. At least that's what I hope when I go in that night to grab Goldeneye and MoH(ps3).

I meant are there any other games being offered apart from those pictured in the ad? The list is pretty lack-luster looking imo...

oh, yeah. I think its only those games pictured.

AnOldLady said:
Vexxmania said:
AnOldLady said:

I did not intend to say that 60Hz TVs are bad. Higher frequency(>=120Hz) means that that there will interpolated frames between true frames. That will enhance your gaming experience as your perception of motion will be smoother. 

120Hz TVs aren't that costly either, and you can get some really good ones. 

120HZ is only good with a none fast paced game, like a racing game for example. For fps games however, most will want to turn this feature off.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27387880

I do agree about the additional lag due to interpolation and yes for FPS games it is recommended to turn it off. However, the additional lag is not that much since newer TVs also have better processors. And as you say, for movies and racing games, 120 Hz is the way to go. 

On a side note, if lag is such an important issue, then why not go for plasmas?  :)

Phorsphor trails, burn in, image retention, power consumption, phorsphor half-life etc etc :)

PS3 Will Be King By 2016.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Vexxmania said:
AnOldLady said:
Vexxmania said:
AnOldLady said:

I did not intend to say that 60Hz TVs are bad. Higher frequency(>=120Hz) means that that there will interpolated frames between true frames. That will enhance your gaming experience as your perception of motion will be smoother. 

120HZ is only good with a none fast paced game, like a racing game for example. For fps games however, most will want to turn this feature off.

I do agree about the additional lag due to interpolation and yes for FPS games it is recommended to turn it off. However, the additional lag is not that much since newer TVs also have better processors. And as you say, for movies and racing games, 120 Hz is the way to go. 

On a side note, if lag is such an important issue, then why not go for plasmas?  :)

Phorsphor trails, burn in, image retention, power consumption, phorsphor half-life etc etc :)

NO! That was two years ago. Current LG and Panasonic plasmas have been tested thoroughly and not only have they resolved burn in, but their picture quality is just incredible. 

Around the Network
AnOldLady said:
Vexxmania said:
AnOldLady said:
Vexxmania said:
AnOldLady said:

NO! That was two years ago. Current LG and Panasonic plasmas have been tested thoroughly and not only have they resolved burn in, but their picture quality is just incredible. 

Guess you're not aware of the problems the Panasonic VT25 has, but here's what one consumer had to say at AVforums:

"Yes I am from the USA. I am experiencing "very bad ghosting" and Im hoping this gets fixed with a firmware. My VT25 (VT20 @ AVforums) even ghosts on really slow pans, pans that "should not have blur or ghosting" as the director intentionally did a slow pan for this reason ( I mean Directors dont hire cinotographers for no reason, they are experts at 24fps panning to prevent these sort of things) (And as I am seeing this ghosting in every movie, its just not a coinidence.

I am still awaiting Panasonic to give me a decision. I was going to order a 65" 2011 VT35 panasonic plasma next year as well, but now if this isnt fixed/improved with regards to motion, I am not going to be buying another tv from panasonic next year"

And he's just one of many who complained.

Quite a few professional reviewers have stated that, despite being the best plasma LG's ever produced, the LG PK950 still suffers from image retention. Even though it's slight, it's still there and some notice it more than others. Now these are top of the line Plasma TVs and they still have problems. I don't even want to know what problems the mid to low end Plasmas are plagued with. So this coupled with the power consumption and phorsphor half-life issue has less people opting for plasma, myself included :)

2nd quarter of global TV sales:

• LCD TV 41,8 million units / rate 74.4%
  • PLASMA TV 4,5 million units / 8%
  • CRT TV 9,9 million units / rate 17.6%

Vexxmania said:
AnOldLady said:
Vexxmania said:
AnOldLady said:
Vexxmania said:
AnOldLady said:

Guess you're not aware of the problems the Panasonic VT25 has, but here's what one consumer had to say at AVforums:

"Yes I am from the USA. I am experiencing "very bad ghosting" and Im hoping this gets fixed with a firmware. My VT25 (VT20 @ AVforums) even ghosts on really slow pans, pans that "should not have blur or ghosting" as the director intentionally did a slow pan for this reason ( I mean Directors dont hire cinotographers for no reason, they are experts at 24fps panning to prevent these sort of things) (And as I am seeing this ghosting in every movie, its just not a coinidence.

I am still awaiting Panasonic to give me a decision. I was going to order a 65" 2011 VT35 panasonic plasma next year as well, but now if this isnt fixed/improved with regards to motion, I am not going to be buying another tv from panasonic next year"

And he's just one of many who complained.

Quite a few professional reviewers have stated that, despite being the best plasma LG's ever produced, the LG PK950 still suffers from image retention. Even though it's slight, it's still there and some notice it more than others. Now these are top of the line Plasma TVs and they still have problems. I don't even want to know what problems the mid to low end Plasmas are plagued with. So this coupled with the power consumption and phorsphor half-life issue has less people opting for plasma, myself included :)

2nd quarter of global TV sales:

• LCD TV 41,8 million units / rate 74.4%
  • PLASMA TV 4,5 million units / 8%
  • CRT TV 9,9 million units / rate 17.6%

Again, I will take your comments with a pinch of salt:

1. Image retention is not really a big problem since it goes away after a couple of hours. This is one problem that I do acknowledge, but I see this is as a non-issue. 
  2. The sales of TVs do not apply in this discussion since we are considering a tv for gaming. As I have said, LCDs @ 120 or 240 Hz will produce a very good picture. However, as you rightly pointed out, it will introduce lag. It is for this reason that people prefer plasma tvs. Gamers constitute a small of fraction of buyers and so your statistics aren't a true reflection of buyer's choices. 
  3. VT25 hogs a lot of power, but that is not true in case of G25. In fact, not only is it less power hungry, it is also very affordable...once of the best TVs < $1000 imho.
  4. Finally, I am really surprised by this negative review of VT25. I really am, since I can point you to several articles (some from AVS) which shower heaps of praises on Panny plasmas this year (NOT last year's models!!). I am not saying that this story is fake, but I do believe that he got a defective model and should be able to get a replacement. 
BTW, I will be buying a TV this holiday myself and so lemme know of some models (46 inches and <$1200) assuming that I will use it entirely for gaming. 

Updated OP with great Wii deal from Best Buy

Some good deals from Best Buy added

AnOldLady said:

Again, I will take your comments with a pinch of salt:

• Image retention is not really a big problem since it goes away after a couple of hours. This is one problem that I do acknowledge, but I see this is as a non-issue. 
  • The sales of TVs do not apply in this discussion since we are considering a tv for gaming. As I have said, LCDs @ 120 or 240 Hz will produce a very good picture. However, as you rightly pointed out, it will introduce lag. It is for this reason that people prefer plasma tvs. Gamers constitute a small of fraction of buyers and so your statistics aren't a true reflection of buyer's choices. 
  • VT25 hogs a lot of power, but that is not true in case of G25. In fact, not only is it less power hungry, it is also very affordable...once of the best TVs < $1000 imho.
  • Finally, I am really surprised by this negative review of VT25. I really am, since I can point you to several articles (some from AVS) which shower heaps of praises on Panny plasmas this year (NOT last year's models!!). I am not saying that this story is fake, but I do believe that he got a defective model and should be able to get a replacement. 
  • BTW, I will be buying a TV this holiday myself and so lemme know of some models (46 inches and <$1200) assuming that I will use it entirely for gaming. 

You see it as a non-issue eh? Well you know what they say, one man's meat... :)

No, that guy didn't get a defective model, there's an entire thread dedicated to the VT25's problems at AVforums :)

But anywho, to each his own.

Hmm.. that's a hard question to answer. I've been looking for the perfect TV to get all year, but every model I've looked at so far just didn't meet my demands. So I ended up getting a cheap 47LD450 from LG, while waiting to upgrade to the perfection that is the LEX8 due out in april. If possible, I would suggest you wait to see what CES '11 has to offer first before buying one.