By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT5 Trophy List

Jin_Shihouin said:
Alphachris said:

As I said, for me the Platinum is part of the game. And no developer has to put in such insane or time intensive platinum trophies. You can put in some special Bonus cars for the most hardcore fans without being part of the platinum trophy. I am just not willing to put in more than 20-30 hours in a game without a good story/setting. For GT5 I would possibly spend 50 hours, but that is my limit.

I have not that much spare time left since I have graduated from university. Thats why I prefer short but intense games. "Replay value" can soon turn into opportunity costs for me. Instead of playing through a game 3-4 times I could play 2-3 different games and would get more entertainment out of it. I wouldn't just read a book 2-3 times in a row just to get "more entertainment hours per €".

See it from that point of view. The developers give a statement with the Trophy conditions of what they expect from the gamers. If they expect only 1-2 % of the gamers to get that platinum trophy because of trophy difficulty or time requirements, they are going the hardcore way. So they are telling me, that I am not their main target group. Why should I buy it then anyway?

Well, that is just my opinion. But all my friends are thinking very similar, having not that much spare time per day. I really like playing games and I am spending € 600-1200 per year for games across various platforms. But I am certainly not that hardcore to put in that much time into a single game after I have reached the entertainment saturation point. And if the Platinum Trophy lies outside of that point I will not buy it if it is not a real good JRPG, because ultimatively it is just not worth it.

Isn't that an over-interpretation?

Sure, they are part of the game, but why care so much if u can't get the platinum?

U might get a lot of enjoyment out of the 50 hours u play the game without getting the plat.

I play a bunch of games where I don't see the point in getting the plat as it is too much of a hassle and no fun at all. On the other hand there r games I like and it's fun to have an extra challange to keep playing and collecting all.

Why not play the games as u feel like playing them. Why force urself to get the plat.

It's not like GT5 is a must have for me (although it seems to be a brilliant racing game). I am not that big of a racing fan, but I still own GT 1-3. I am somehow indifferent of buying it.  So the Platinum difficulty is just the small step towards non-buying, not the sole reason.

I am playing games for 21 years now (approximately) and somehow I always tried to finish my games (most NES games I owned did not have a clear ending). I often bought the next game only after I have finished my last one. Well, some games do not have a clear ending (like Street Fighter 4 or online competitive modes) but the Platinum trophy got that mark of ending for me. Therefore I find it kind of strange wo sell a game where the Platinum is almost out of reach. I mean, why bothering with integrating something in the game that is not obtainable? That just leaves a bad taste for me. I mean, what does the developer win?

When I got my first trophy It was a real surprise for me. And after almost 2 years I have to admit, that I really like the concept behind trophies. My trophy list is my gaming diary, where I can see, what games I have played over the years. But I find that some games just got it wrong. If you make such time consuming trophies you just lock out people with little time for gaming. And the real question behind that is why do I have to be left out of the Platinum trophy only because I have a 40 hour working week. It is like getting a penalty for having a work and social responsibilities.

If I can spent 10 hours per week into gaming I can play 2 games per month. In that way I can play approx. 15-20 games per year and can retain my gaming diversity. If I put that 10 hours in some games like Street Fighter 4, Resistance 2 or GTA 4, I am busy for half a year and have 3 games instead of 10. I can't see a winner in this. And because of this 3 games I still have a backlog of 10 games. Thats why I do not want such time intense games anymore. I still do make exceptions for RPGs since I really like good stories (and my wife will be sitting beside me watching), but I won't do it anymore for online gaming, beat'em ups or racing games.

The moral behind that story is that I feel it somehow unfair to lock out the "average gamer" who pays the same price who has not that much time for gaming in the benefit of those hardcore fans who are willing to put 100-200 hours in a single game only to be able to brag about being one of the few gamers worldwide who got the Platinum. I mean, GT5 is even a first party game. The first party games that I have played so far were reasonable so far. They even patched Mod Nation Racers because the online trophies were too time consuming. And now they are making such a hardcore Platinum trophy for one of their most important games.... I don't get it. And somehow I do not want to support this attitude.

I am not saying that the Platinum Trophy should be so easy that it is no challenge at all. But the Platinum Trophy should be targeted more at the median gamer and should not lock out 80-90% of the potential buyers.

Around the Network

Given your situation you are probably right in what u say. I can't really disagree.

GT fans seem to be mostly positive about the list, though.

I guess you can't please everybody, but I like that this list gives you the option to get a lot of playtime out of this game. If u want, that is. As Gt5 has has a lot of content it is not so bad.

The GT5 trophy list still looks pretty tame compared to WKC and SO4, though.

(>_<')

Looking forward to: FF Versus XIII / LBP2 / The Last Guardian / Yakuza 4 / ICO Collection