By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Mafia Round 22 Game Thread

SuperAdrianK said:
Hephaestos said:
SuperAdrianK said:

Crap, I was late! Anywho, I would love a democratic system where everyone has a say in a decision other than the one thats follow the one person that has influence over everyone in the game.

So should we first day lynch, I think it brings the true color of people. 

Also, these metatheories are hurting my head.

whut?

Everyone, or almost everyone, has a say to a decision whether to lynch someone or something else I can't think of, as opposed to a system where one person does all the talking and people follow like sheep.

thanks.

I agree it's better to have everyone's input... it also makes the game also more challenging for the mafia as they have to think in a skewed way instead of idling with the bandwagon townies. I say challenging, cause in the few game's I've played, besides nameclaiming, this has been one of the most frequent way to catch a mafia, proof that it's hard.

For townies, well they lose the hunt the idler method... which technically only exists because of part of the town (hence if the town lynches an idling townie, it's his fault).

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

Prof don't start this "multiple levels of play" thing until we're more than NO NIGHTS AT ALL into the game.

Actually, while I'm on this point

I am diametrically opposed to first-day lynches. I do not think we should end the day before we've had plenty of good conversation, but I will throw this out to show my intentions for the first day:

Vote: No Lynch

Hephaestos said:
SuperAdrianK said:
Hephaestos said:
SuperAdrianK said:

Crap, I was late! Anywho, I would love a democratic system where everyone has a say in a decision other than the one thats follow the one person that has influence over everyone in the game.

whut?

Everyone, or almost everyone, has a say to a decision whether to lynch someone or something else I can't think of, as opposed to a system where one person does all the talking and people follow like sheep.

thanks.

I agree it's better to have everyone's input... it also makes the game also more challenging for the mafia as they have to think in a skewed way instead of idling with the bandwagon townies. I say challenging, cause in the few game's I've played, besides nameclaiming, this has been one of the most frequent way to catch a mafia, proof that it's hard.

For townies, well they lose the hunt the idler method... which technically only exists because of part of the town (hence if the town lynches an idling townie, it's his fault).

I remember in a game where they had a list of all the character names, and someone declared to identify all ourselves to those names, I was mafia that time, and I shat bricks. Good thing I never nameclaimed that time, though.

Khuutra said:

Prof don't start this "multiple levels of play" thing until we're more than NO NIGHTS AT ALL into the game.

I am diametrically opposed to first-day lynches. I do not think we should end the day before we've had plenty of good conversation, but I will throw this out to show my intentions for the first day:

I'm not wary of first-day lynches, as a day where we spare a kill is almost like a day wasted. I don't see how, with good observations, a first-day lynch shouldn't be used. But as of now, there isn't much to go on, though I do see some potential. I vote for neither anyone or No Lynch.

Unvote

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
theprof00 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Grrr at the Quick Reply box loading correctly every other time.

So I'll be true to my word and throw this First Day chatting topic: Do you believe that townies should ALWAYS tell the truth? Or do you believe certain circumstances excuse a townie lie?

vote: truckOsaurus

This is a blatant flame starter. Trying to get someone lynched behind some warped idea about rules  and how the game works. 

Lies are not a problem because townies shouldn't trust anyone other than themselves anyway. The real victims of a pro-town lie are the mafia, because mafia will generally take townies at their word depending on how the lie is presented. 

Think about it. If I lie and claim something I'm not, it's misleads the mafia because they have to think about that player. "Are they lying", "Totally bluffing", "Let's avoid that player".

Now, a normal town doesn't have to think about stuff like that because town should never take anything at face value. Well there you have it. Lying is important and has its own purposes and usefulness.

Actually, it was a continuation of a topic started in the sign-up thread.

Though I find your idea of lying being beneficial unnerving. If the mafia takes everything as face value, then why would they want to avoid them and how would it mislead them? Please expand on those.

Also, lying does NOT help the town. Because if a townie gets caught in there lies, it leads to a mislynch, which is always detrimental to the town.

Well, I've never actually lied in a game. But I have been misleading. 

I'm a little surprised you can't see how a lie could affect mafia. Say, a doctor hinting at being a bomb, or hinting at being a vanilla townie, or I could even see how "playing straight" (just straight facts etc) can trick mafia into thinking they are a power role, etc etc. There is a lot more going on than just the words on the page. 

While in the latter example, I could see confusion happening for the doctor, it is also the mafia who is looking for the power roles.

I'm failing to explain it properly.

I just know I'm right, and deception is part of the game. 

Last game cell was supposed to eat the androids. Mafia immediately knew that vette was an android simply by his defense of androids being a pro-town role. Mafia read this stuff very carefully. Had someone else "lied" and "pretended" to be an android, mafia would've wasted their choice on the substitute.

Around the Network
SuperAdrianK said:
Hephaestos said:
SuperAdrianK said:
Hephaestos said:
SuperAdrianK said:

whut?

thanks.

I remember in a game where they had a list of all the character names, and someone declared to identify all ourselves to those names, I was mafia that time, and I shat bricks. Good thing I never nameclaimed that time, though.

I'd subscribe to a mass name-claim if it helps catch the scum.... but that feels like the opposite of the point of Mafia, doesn't it?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

Khuutra said:

"I will lynch anyone who meta-theorizes too much"

"Prof don't start this "multiple levels of play" thing until we're more than NO NIGHTS AT ALL into the game."

"NO LYNCH"

What're you trying to do there khuutie?

theprof00 said:
Khuutra said:

"I will lynch anyone who meta-theorizes too much"

"Prof don't start this "multiple levels of play" thing until we're more than NO NIGHTS AT ALL into the game."

"NO LYNCH"

What're you trying to do there khuutie?

Asking you to not make me try to lynch you, and declaring (through vote) that I would rather not.

I am diametrically opposed to first-day lynches; it would take someone holdin me to my word to make me try for a hanging this early.

Also:

diametrically opposed to being called cootie

dtewi said:
SuperAdrianK said:
Hephaestos said:
SuperAdrianK said:
Hephaestos said:
SuperAdrianK said:

whut?

thanks.

I'd subscribe to a mass name-claim if it helps catch the scum.... but that feels like the opposite of the point of Mafia, doesn't it?

Yeah, but the thing was that the list was right at the op, it sucked major time for us scum.

and yeah, it did destroyed the flow of the game. 

theprof00 said:

Well, I've never actually lied in a game. But I have been misleading. 

I'm a little surprised you can't see how a lie could affect mafia. Say, a doctor hinting at being a bomb, or hinting at being a vanilla townie, or I could even see how "playing straight" (just straight facts etc) can trick mafia into thinking they are a power role, etc etc. There is a lot more going on than just the words on the page. 

While in the latter example, I could see confusion happening for the doctor, it is also the mafia who is looking for the power roles.

I'm failing to explain it properly.

I just know I'm right, and deception is part of the game. 

Last game cell was supposed to eat the androids. Mafia immediately knew that vette was an android simply by his defense of androids being a pro-town role. Mafia read this stuff very carefully. Had someone else "lied" and "pretended" to be an android, mafia would've wasted their choice on the substitute.

That's the problem though: Only in very certain circumstances are pro-town lies acceptable. For example, like you said, the doctor saving their skin. But what about a townie lying about being a power role such as the tracker and getting someone lynched? All that does is lead to a mislynch. Lying is only beneficial when you won't get caught n it and there is no chance someone else might get lynched. Lies catching up to townies is, as I said, cataclysmic and could lead to mislynches.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you