By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Mafia Round 22 Game Thread

Well I'm going to do my homework, but here's some food for thought, are you against or with lynching lurkers?

Around the Network
SuperAdrianK said:

Well I'm going to do my homework, but here's some food for thought, are you against or with lynching lurkers?

lurking is generally a scum tell right? It's not much, but if there's nothing else to go off of then it is probably the best pro-town move. Even if they turn out townie, inactives aren't doing much to help.

theprof00 said:
dtewi said:

Actually, it was a continuation of a topic started in the sign-up thread.

Though I find your idea of lying being beneficial unnerving. If the mafia takes everything as face value, then why would they want to avoid them and how would it mislead them? Please expand on those.

Also, lying does NOT help the town. Because if a townie gets caught in there lies, it leads to a mislynch, which is always detrimental to the town.

Well, I've never actually lied in a game. But I have been misleading.  1

I'm a little surprised you can't see how a lie could affect mafia2. Say, a doctor hinting at being a bomb, or hinting at being a vanilla townie, or I could even see how "playing straight" (just straight facts etc) can trick mafia into thinking they are a power role, etc etc. There is a lot more going on than just the words on the page. 

While in the latter example, I could see confusion happening for the doctor, it is also the mafia who is looking for the power roles.

I'm failing to explain it properly.

I just know I'm right, and deception is part of the game. 

Last game cell was supposed to eat the androids. Mafia immediately knew that vette was an android simply by his defense of androids being a pro-town role. Mafia read this stuff very carefully. Had someone else "lied" and "pretended" to be an android, mafia would've wasted their choice on the substitute. 3

1) That's the understatement of the year. In your first game you were confusing to the point that scum wanted you alive because you provided such good cover for them.

2) Yes a lie can trick the Mafia. Let's say: to kill an unimportant player (if he hinted at being someone important) but it can also trick the doctor in protecting the liar and wasting protection.

3) Or people could have followed Heph's theory and lynched the fake android because they thought he was scum. Net result: one less townie.

Signature goes here!

SuperAdrianK said:

Are you asking everyone this?

What's with the polling going on here?

theprof00 said:
SuperAdrianK said:

Why are you afraid of discussion?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Why have we gone from random voting to random questions?

Linkzmax said:

Why have we gone from random voting to random questions?

Because random stuff is fun!!

-

TruckOSaurus said:

1) That's the understatement of the year. In your first game you were confusing to the point that scum wanted you alive because you provided such good cover for them.

2) Yes a lie can trick the Mafia. Let's say: to kill an unimportant player (if he hinted at being someone important) but it can also trick the doctor in protecting the liar and wasting protection.

3) Or people could have followed Heph's theory and lynched the fake android because they thought he was scum. Net result: one less townie.

1) I have no excuses for THE FIRST GAME I EVER PLAYED. Needless to say, I only mis-lynched one person, and correctly lynched every other time. By the time you recruited me to cult, I flipped a coin to block either you or the other scum, and it ended up on him. I don't see how losing teammates is beneficial to the mafia, I was on every mafia lynch, usually pressing for others to vote. But yes, inexperience did me in in the end because I didn't realize how bussers could manipulate information like that.

2) "Yes a lie can trick the Mafia. Let's say: to kill an unimportant player (if he hinted at being someone important) but it can also trick the doctor in protecting the liar and wasting protection."

Hinting at being important is being "straight". You don't need to claim anything. 

Mafia will usually go after that person, because they usually expect the doctor to protect the person that is overtly hinting. I find that as mafia it's better to target the quiet ones. That's what I mean by "hinting at being important".

Like dtewi you're saying "stupid lies are bad". It's such a blanket superficial argument that it just reeks of scum.

3) Lynching someone for being an android is a very bad reason. Another simplification of a complex situation. You don't include any of the usual diatribe that would be in there. You simply act like the "lie" auto results in lynch.

You are sooo on my list. 

Personally, this looks like an attack

"1) You are beneficial to mafia

2&3) Lies lead to townies dying, and you condone lying"

which is interesting. Especially #1 shows that you have a bit of emotion invested in this, perhaps fear. A normal response should have only been 2 or 3, but the attacking part puts a scummy spin on it.

Still, FoS dtewi for blanket superficiality, and keeping my vote on you. 

TruckOSaurus said:
theprof00 said:
SuperAdrianK said:

Why are you afraid of discussion?

ooooohhhh.

When I read this, I squinted and re-read it a few times while shaking my head.

I'm not sure what you're up to, but it's suspicious. 

I think my question is very warranted. Both your and his questions I would consider lynch-bait.

theprof00 said:
dtewi said:

I don't see a lie, besides the doctor or another power-role saying he's a vanilla townie, that is beneficial to the town.

I'm not going to take up anymore posts explaining why it's more than just that one example. If you want to look at another point of view, there's always mafiawiki.

I don't want other townies discouraged by the number of posts they have to read. That is the real detriment to town.

I have my opinion, you have yours. :P

Prof, I get what you're saying, but I still think that the town should be very wary of lying, as it could lead to mislynches.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you