By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is today perhaps the biggest day ever for videogaming?

Soonerman said:
Jordahn said:
toastboy44562 said:

This is the start of the future I believe. all games eventually will be controlled with your body...kinect is the first step there! today is perhaps the biggest day in the videogame industry ever...go 360!

Absolutely not.  The heart of gaming centers around hardcore gamers.  Kinect does NOTHING to promote hardcore gaming.  In fact, just the opposite.

What people tend to forget is that while it might be true now that hardcore gamers prefer the controller, it is still based on your generation. Your generation is getting old and a new one will take over. If the new one finds motion sensing like Kinect more comfortable than the controller then the gaming will move that way. It doesn't mean that hardcore games will be gone, you just gotta suck it up and admit that the way we play will change eventually and there's nothing you can do about it but enjoy it while it lasts.

Proof here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

It always takes and older generation to die before new radical ideas become the norm, but your post makes it sound like most of the people posting here are 70 and 80 year old gamers who are about to die. Most of us are young adults or teenagers so its not like the young kids playing motion control games will overwhelm us old ass 20 something year olds and alll gaming will involve more motion.

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:

This is the start of the future I believe. all games eventually will be controlled with your body...kinect is the first step there! today is perhaps the biggest day in the videogame industry ever...go 360!

Do things like the Power glove, Sega Activator, and Eyetoy not count?

Soonerman said:
Jordahn said:
toastboy44562 said:

Absolutely not.  The heart of gaming centers around hardcore gamers.  Kinect does NOTHING to promote hardcore gaming.  In fact, just the opposite.

What people tend to forget is that while it might be true now that hardcore gamers prefer the controller, it is still based on your generation. Your generation is getting old and a new one will take over. If the new one finds motion sensing like Kinect more comfortable than the controller then the gaming will move that way. It doesn't mean that hardcore games will be gone, you just gotta suck it up and admit that the way we play will change eventually and there's nothing you can do about it but enjoy it while it lasts.

Proof here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

This video proves that the Wii-mote has a lot in common with this "light gun" in this video.  Wii-mote doesn't have the wires.

Boutros said:

I don't think Nintendo or Sony will follow the movement. And besides, mind control is just around the corner!

I think Nintendo is putting billions into mind control. That little finger thing is step one. Next it'll probably go through the nose into the brain.

Sony on the other hand is probably already cloning Kinect technology for their next PS Eye device.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Boutros said:

I don't think Nintendo or Sony will follow the movement. And besides, mind control is just around the corner!

I think Nintendo is putting billions into mind control.

Sony on the other hand is probably already cloning Kinect technology for their next PS Eye device.

After all the stuff Sony said about buttons, it would be extremely ironic of them to copy Kinect.

Around the Network

As a MS fan, I'm gonna say no.

But its deffinitely going to go down as one of the most memorable things about this generation.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Boutros said:

I think Nintendo is putting billions into mind control. That little finger thing is step one. Next it'll probably go through the nose into the brain.

Someone start a thread about Kinect will be used with a controller so maybe the other way around. PSEye came first then the Move controller afterwards.

If today would be the biggest day in gaming, the future of games would be really really disappointing.

This whole Kinect hype is too much. I simply dont understand whats so special about it. I imagined it  better then it actually is and still thought that wont be enough.

I thought NATAL would be like walking in games and the game char would mimik every of your movements. But Kinect is way more eyetoy like then I expected.

Its still not ready yet maybe in 10 years. Btw whats so special about not using a controller I cant see the advantage in it.

IS it faster ? More precise ? Does it add some value= can you do things in the game you couldnt do without it and are they actually fun ?

At the moment there is nothing in sight which would make me buy Kinect.

I have yet to see one thing with Kinect that I would say is fun or exciting where Kinect is vital for it to work. 

One thing which wasnt done yet could make me wanting Kinect or similar tech. Controlling your TV or other Tech with gestures. Could imagine having a 3D Camera in every room and you could control your whole house with gestures like closing the window shutter turning on the TV changing the channel opening the garage door. Maybe using it to control your PC when using a beamer.

The 500 Million Dollar campaigne will make people buy it but how long acouple of months ? Then the novelty factor has worn off and Software will determin its survival. Why would a casual buy Kinect instead of WII at the moment ?

MS needs software and soon. It has potential but there is no guarantee that Programmers will find good ways to use it in the near future.

Its interesting but its by far not as revolutionary as people think right now.

Its definetly not the biggest day in gaming.

Kinect is being promoted in the wrong area, it will sell bucketloads then fade to nothing just like the wii will and sony's move. Kinect should be promoted in elctronics as a form of house light control or tv, music system. it's just too much for videogaming especially when a:) it doesnt see black people b:) it's massive for a sensor! But hey both these are typical of microsoft enginerring AND testing.

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""