By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

41. Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA)

One of the first RPGs to have a "complex" plot, introduced the ATB system, and unchangeable character classes,  FFIV is one of my most memorable Final Fantasy experiences.   

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Here are the first 10 games on my list so far.

# Title played on

Hexen II  (1997)                                                     

Atmosphere, great graphics, felt evil, nice variety.

PC
49 Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)   

Not as good as the predecessors but it felt very much Star Wars, looked good and had good storytelling.
PC
48 Battlefield 1942 (2002)

This was a revolution to online gaming with it's huge open maps and vehicles even in the air.
PC
47 Arx Fatalis (2002)

A first person combat-oriented action-RPG. The first one that made it feel right for me. An underrated and unknown game sadly.
PC
46 Tomb Raider (1996)

TR was so important to the cinematic action genre. The first one was the best. It felt more sincere than the sequels and looked gorgeous for its time.
PC

Bioshock (2007)

This goes here for its storytelling, art design and atmosphere. The level design and gameplay mechanics are actually quite average.

PC
44 The Sentinel (1986)

Very original and experimental. I guess it's classified as a strategy game, but I don't know anything like it.  Hard to grip at first and it doesn't have much longetivity and variety, else it had got much higher on my list.
Amiga
43 Empire Earth (2001)

It qualified because of its huge ambition to include the whole civilized history of mankind - from stone age to nano age, and they managed to pull it off making it playable online for up to 4vs4 players. It felt kind of sloppy though and fugly.
PC
42 Populous (1989)

Innovative and before its time. The father of all God games and Molyneux' masterpiece.
Amiga
41 Pirates! (1987)

Innovative and before its time. Addictive, felt huge and had a cozy atmosphere.
Amiga

Some awesome games on this list so far. A lot of these were just outside my list (although I'd forgotten about Jedi Outcast!). You've reminded me how great these games are!

Scoobes said:
Slimebeast said:

Here are the first 10 games on my list so far.

# Title played on

Hexen II  (1997)                                                     

Atmosphere, great graphics, felt evil, nice variety.

PC
49 Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)   

Not as good as the predecessors but it felt very much Star Wars, looked good and had good storytelling.
PC
48 Battlefield 1942 (2002)

This was a revolution to online gaming with it's huge open maps and vehicles even in the air.
PC
47 Arx Fatalis (2002)

A first person combat-oriented action-RPG. The first one that made it feel right for me. An underrated and unknown game sadly.
PC
46 Tomb Raider (1996)

TR was so important to the cinematic action genre. The first one was the best. It felt more sincere than the sequels and looked gorgeous for its time.
PC

Bioshock (2007)

This goes here for its storytelling, art design and atmosphere. The level design and gameplay mechanics are actually quite average.

PC
44 The Sentinel (1986)

Very original and experimental. I guess it's classified as a strategy game, but I don't know anything like it.  Hard to grip at first and it doesn't have much longetivity and variety, else it had got much higher on my list.
Amiga
43 Empire Earth (2001)

It qualified because of its huge ambition to include the whole civilized history of mankind - from stone age to nano age, and they managed to pull it off making it playable online for up to 4vs4 players. It felt kind of sloppy though and fugly.
PC
42 Populous (1989)

Innovative and before its time. The father of all God games and Molyneux' masterpiece.
Amiga
41 Pirates! (1987)

Innovative and before its time. Addictive, felt huge and had a cozy atmosphere.
Amiga

Some awesome games on this list so far. A lot of these were just outside my list (although I'd forgotten about Jedi Outcast!). You've reminded me how great these games are!

Cool! I gotta follow your your list to see if it's any similar in taste to mine.  Are you familiar with the Amiga games I put there (although they were on other platforms too)?

Time to start commenting on mine, I guess:

50. Maniac Mansion (NES). This was just one of those quirky games that I can't really put my finger on. The multiple endings, coupled with almost endless things to do meant I kept playing this game... and playing...

49. Robotrek (SNES). An RPG where you... build robots? It seemed intriguing, and the constant desire to level up for more items to make was also fun for me. Now, where was that level 50 book...?

48. Robowarrior (NES). I don't think I'm starting a robot trend here? Again, you controlled a robot, was it trying to get to the surface? It's been a while, mainly because I don't have the time to sit down and finish this game too often. And those idol rooms... argh, I want those rare items...

47. Parasite Eve (PS1). A bit more action-oriented of an RPG, with a system that made you think twice before getting rid of something. Though all those tools meant I beat the game with the... was it the second gun you get in it? I wasn't giving up those pluses! And then we had the Chrsyler building...

46. Shiren the Wanderer (Wii). Occasionally, I like going through a simple rogue dungeon crawler. And of them all, I think Shiren got it best. Of course, I still get surrounded if I'm not careful...

45. Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1). By this point, I've probably run into a good number of games that people have never heard of. This game, one of about 18 trillion things related to the legend, is a surprisingly good SRPG, without the broken elements present in Tactics.

44. Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii). Some call it mediocre, but there were things about it that just played to my liking. Not quite too easy, and there's a nice amount of side stuff to do without making the rest of the game too easy.

43. Persona 2 (PS1). I don't know what it is about the Persona series, but all of its games just eat my brain. And this one was big enough to warrant 2 games! The 2 do come together nicely into an epic game, with plenty of challenge.

42. Tactics Ogre (PS1). Another of the great SRPGs. I... really don't know what to say about it. It's the little extras in the Ogre series that make me love it that much more.

41. Soul Blazer (SNES). Just typing the title again put the music back in my head from this game. Watching the towns (house, etc) grow, with all the hidden items, and you always were left wondering how to get that last enemy generator... which didn't seem to be generating...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Slimebeast said:

Cool! I gotta follow your your list to see if it's any similar in taste to mine.  Are you familiar with the Amiga games I put there (although they were on other platforms too)?

Only Populous I'm afraid. I remember when I was a kid everyone seemed to have an Amiga or NES/Master System and I was the odd one out with an Amstrad CPC. They did share a fair few multiplat games though. I believe Starquake (on my list) was originally an Amiga game although I played the Amstrad version. And I believe there is at least one other upcomming game on my list that was on Amiga as well. 

I think we must have some similarish tastes based on your list so far and your sig ;)

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Fab_GS said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Fab_GS said:

41 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Playstation 2)

tooo early lawlawl!

atleast not as early as your SMB3 lawllawl!

I have an excuse though, I am anti nintendo!

I'm not, but I happened by chance to put SMB3 in the exact same position. Sorry.

CrankyStroming said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Fab_GS said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Fab_GS said:

41 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Playstation 2)

tooo early lawlawl!

atleast not as early as your SMB3 lawllawl!

I have an excuse though, I am anti nintendo!

I'm not, but I happened by chance to put SMB3 in the exact same position. Sorry.

BTW on your Super Mario World position

You say you think its "too big for its own good", why do you say that?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:

BTW on your Super Mario World position

You say you think its "too big for its own good", why do you say that?

I guess when making it for a new console they decided to make the game as big as they possibly could so that it would wow the crowds. But, for me, it just felt like I was waiting too long for the really good levels, a number of which just feel empty.

I will add my games the next weekend, Im not ready yet

#45. (Yes I'm late) Blast Corps (N64): A game about destroying buildings how cool is that? Very cool!  To avoid a nuclear explosion the Blast Corps team is ordered to destroy all buildings in the path of an unstoppable truck loaded with nuclear material. Does it make sense? Hmmm maybe not but who cares you get to destroy buildings!! With a bulldoser, a rocket-lauching bike, a flying robot or the hard to control Backlash you get to satisfy your desire for destruction.

This game is really tons of fun and even though you get through the stages quite quickly the time-trials for gold (and later platium) medals really add some replay value. One last note, Blast Corps features some awesome tracks like this one :

Signature goes here!