By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

8. Super Mario 64

Super Mario 64 was the best 3D platformer of all time, and it held that accolade for over a decade. It's also my second favourite N64 game, making it the only console to hit double figures in this list in terms of representation in the process, which of course, I always knew would be the case, as the N64 is my favourite console.

The game itself brought Mario into the 3D era, and it practically created standards in the 3D platform genre that are still being used today. Instead of linear progression from start to finish, you were suddenly given the opportunity to roam freely, and explore however you wanted to. In the process of completing one world, you could open up multiple others, and it was up to you where you went next.

The biggest compliment that I can give this game is that since its release, many others have tried to better it with more powerful technology to play with, and they've all failed to do so. It was left to Nintendo themselves to succeed in beating their own benchmark...

VGChartz

Around the Network

11. The Legend of Zelda - NES

In a time when most games took place on a single screen, or moved straight from left to right, The Legend of Zelda dropped players into a vast, open world, with only scattered clues on what to do next.

From the brain-twisting dungeons, to the legendary music, to the hundreds of hidden secrets to find, there isn't a single bad thing about this game. It truly is the definition of the word "classic." Just not quite great enough to make the top ten.

Number 11

Final Fantasy XII

I don't want to hear it, not from a single one of you. You want to know what the best Final Fantasy game is? Look no further. This is it right here. I'm going to tell you why.

This game has everything, but the primary and most improtant thing it has is the direction and writing of one Yasumi Matsuno, the final member of my Big Four game writers. In setting FFXII in Ivalice's distant and more magical past, Matsuno set the stage for a tremendous opera full of betrayal, political machinations, and excellent, subtly-written characters with complex motivations, real development, and a sense of consequences to their actions. We got all of that in spades.

No FInal Fantasy world - not a single one - is as massive and fully realized as is the Ivalice of FFXII. It is a world filled with many cultures that interact and clash in unique ways, who hold different histories and different self-evident truths. Ivalice is a world with conflicting histories, where the truth of the past is dependent almost entirely on perspective and belief, where hints at "reality" have to be taken with a grain of salt regardless of who says them, even the gods purported to be the world's engineers. In short, it is a world that operates much as ours does, where victors write the history books on a celestial scale, where sovereignty is often a function of military prowess, and where the idea of the sacred does not transcend cultures. It is a fascinating world to explore, and I spent a very long time filling out the bestiary in order to see as much as I could of a single perspective on how the world was formed.

The plot is standard Matsuno faire, which is to say that it's a continent-spanning political storm of betrayal and war, where the fate of millions often hangs on the whims of families or individuals, on the grudges held over slights that may or may not be imagined. There is a real power lent to the proceedings by the cast of characters and the excellent script, but the plot itself, the events that form the bare skeleton of the story, is far and away the best in this series. It pulls no punches, makes no concessions for the slow or the short-attention-spanned, and spends a long time building its foundations into something that can hold up a palace of narrative.

The characters are on a level with Matsuno's work in the Ogre Battle saga, which is to say that they're better than the characters in every other Final Fantasy. Each of them has a role to fulfill - as the queen, the hero, the rogue, the expatriate, the dreamer, and the ground who reminds the rest of the party what it is they should be fighting for - and each of them fulfills it excellently, with no excess material to get in the way of their actions and their developments. Basch and Ashe alone easily qualify as the best-written Final Fantasy protagonists of all time, and the same nod could be given to Balthier. Each of them has their own motivations, some less immediately apparent than others, and these motivations are held to consistently and believably. The cast of villains is no worse - in fact they may well be better, a triumvirate of disparate intentions that combine to form the greatest adversarial force the series has ever known (yes, even better than Kefka). Every character, every one, comes into the story with something they want, and every single one of them either succeeds or fails in fashions both explosive and hauntingly quiet.

The script is... beyond my capacity for hyperbole. It is excellently written, extremely tight from a narrative perspective, with no wasted words but with a natural rhythm and flow to its language that sets it apart from the clunky, anime-esque scripting of its peers. From the iambic pentameter of the Occuria to the high-born speech of Vayne to the plaintive admonitions of Migelo, each character has their own distinctive voice, their own way of speaking, which makes sense against the background of their culture and their own personal pasts. Character is communicated in grammar, in word choice and in tone, and in many media this is something that is taken for granted but in FFXII it is almost revelatory. There is no single better script in gaming, not in terms of writing or in terms of acting.

Final Fantasy XII's story is one that is about familly, on every level. All of the game's betrayals, vengeances, and desperate last stands against oppressors are tied into the idea of family on different levels, be it one's brother or one's countrymen. There is no evil in this game; there is only a collection of families who see their own needs and act to fulfill them, even at the expense of other families. Thematically it is the tightest game in its series save for Final Fantasy IV, and even that is a point that I would be willing to argue.

The gameplay is down to choice; some people play without Gambtis. Some set them up to chew through a 50-million HP boss in less than an hour. All of these are excellent ways to play. You can do it however you want, and the game will not hold your hand through any of it, which is something I respect even as it blunts the efforts of the impatient.

The game is beautiful, of course, visually and aurally, but does talking about beauty communicate anything of importance? No. Beauty is something that has to be experienced in order to be appreciated, so I urge you to experience it for yourself; experience the beating drums of the battle with an Esper, the shining terror of the Royal Guard of House Solidor descending upon hapless fools, the scale and horror of war as it might be with the aid of magic. Look upon the rise and fall of gods, the death of brotherhood, the pulling down of empires. There is so much to be seen here, and it is so beautiful.

Glad to see some of you guys back and ready to finish this tough list. It's been a lot of fun so far, and with us posting our top tens, it's only going to get better from here!

Speaking of catching up...

10. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

Conker's Bad Fur Day is a story about a squirrel. And a giant poop monster. And a evil demonic hand puppet. And gangster weasels. Yeah, that's reason enough for this game to be in my top ten, but let me elaborate a little more on why I love this game so much. Conker's Bad Fur Day is rude, crude, and oh so funny. Humor is an element I find sorely lacking in today's video game industry, so I love to see comedic elements pop up in games. This game is fully of laugh out loud moments, from the many parodies (Saving Private Ryan and the Matrix are the most notable) to the insane cast of characters (Gregg the Grim Reaper is one fantastic character. And he hates cats.) The gameplay is no slouch either, and what I love about this game is that there's so much to do. Solid platforming, awesome aerial combat (with poop bombs), crazy third person shooting elements, hoverboard racing, raptor riding... it's all there, and everything is so much fun! And the bosses... oh those bosses. Who can forget the Great Mighty Poo? Or the Boiler? Or that creepy Tediz Experiment? Oh man... this game was such a blast... but I'm only just getting started!

The multiplayer in this game provided so many fantastic memories, and is probably one of my most cherished multiplayer games. Raptors vs. Cavemen, Tediz vs. Squirrels, Bank Heist... it's just so much fun. My friend and I would play capture the flag for hours, and of course we'd go for the chainsaw or kitana as the weapon. Seeing your Tediz jump around shouting Japanese is unlike anything else I tell ya. So yeah, Conker's Bad Fur Day starts us out on my top ten games of all time, because it's an incredible single player experience, a priceless multiplayer experience, and an overall amazing game. Rare' best work was also its crudest, rudest, and funniest.

9. Metroid Prime (GCN/Wii)
Metroid Prime was my first ever Metroid game, so it does hold a special place in my heart. But it's not that reason for why this game is number 9 on my all time greatest games list. Metroid Prime was a game that created a whole planet for us to explore. Retro Studios created a living, breathing world full of diverse lands and wildlife. Filled with crumbling ruins and state of the art technology, lava filled caverns and snow-topped peaks. And with me in control of Samus Aran (and looking through her eyes), I got explore this wonderful world around me. To say that this game holds some of the greatest art design I've ever seen in gaming... well with the other fantastic games I've played through the years, that's saying something. I fell in love with Tallon IV and everything about it.

The music is wonderful (Phendrana Drifts... incredible), the action is intense (once you get to Phazon Mines, there's little out there with such wonderful tension and action as that area), and the game is just so uniquely great. Reading logs to understand the story around you is genius, and the way you look through Samus' eyes really makes you feel like you're the one on this adventure. The bosses are terrifying and oh so fun to bring down (Ridley battle... that fight made me a huge fan of the Space Dragon), and Metroid Prime is just as menacing as I thought it would be. Yeah, this game took me on an adventure like none other, and I'm now a lifelong fan of Samus Aran for it.

Around the Network

8. Pokemon Red/Blue & FireRed/LeafGreen (GB/GBA)

If a game could describe my childhood, it would Pokemon Red (brother had the Blue version). Pokemania was in full force, and I actually remember the first time I even heard of these Pocket Monsters. A friend of mine wanted to play "Pokemon", so I went along. He said that I could be Charmeleon, and I could blow fire. Hey, that was pretty cool, and so I wanted to know more about this Pokemon. Fast forward to Christmas time (what a coincidence) and I unwrap my gift to see that Pokemon Red was now part of my collection. After that I eat, breathed, and slept with this game. I went nowhere without it, and was always continuing my adventure to become the greatest Pokemon Master the world had ever seen. I started out with Squirtle, and we went along the world of Kanto, battling trainers and capturing new Pokemon to be part of the team. The world was huge, and the pokemon seemed endless. The Gym Leaders were tough, and Team Rocket was a pain... but that Elite Four was the toughest of them all. And when I finally beat them and got to Gary (come on... we all called him Gary), I took him down and became the new Pokemon Champion.

Fast forward to today and I've beaten this game countless times. I've used the MissingNo. cheat to get countless Rare Candies and TM's, and I've caught them all. It was such a wonderful adventure filled with fantastic memories shared with others. It started PokeMania and I was all to happy to be a part of. The GBA Remake, FireRed and LeafGreen (had to go with FireRed), was a welcomed addition, and I played my heart out once again. At the end of the day, few games hold memories like Pokemon Red does, and for that adventure it showed me all those years ago (and one I'm still continuing, and can't wait to continue with Pokemon Black/White), this game is my eighth favorite game of all time. Gotta catch 'em all.

Khuutra said:

Number 12

Final Fantasy VI

This game was the first Final Fantasy I bought after beating Final Fantasy IV; in fact it may have been the next game I bought altogether. I did some cursory research; I was not sure what to expect out of it, but the size of the cast made me wary. I was sure that most of them wouldn't be properly developed, and that was something I cared about a lot at the time.

Then the game came in the mail, and I played it, and it destroyed all of the assumptions i had made about the genre.

Thirteen characters, ten of whom had literally hours devoted to the character development and the other three of whom (Mog, Umaro, and Gogo) were either funny enough to support themselves or can be forgiven for being easter eggs of a sort. It was unlike anything I had ever seen in a game before, and to this day I still manage to be impressed by how much content they managed to cram into that little cart. Of all the Castlevanias, this one very probably had the best cast.

Castlevanias?

Anyways...

10. Super Mario Bros. - NES

What better way to start off the top 10 than with the very face of video games? Forget what I said about Zelda. This is the definition of "classic." If it wasn't for this game, gaming would drastically different from what it is today, and probably not for the better. No, scratch that. Definitely not for the better. Super Mario Bros. pretty much single-handedly saved the video game industry, and for that, I am endlessly grateful. And so should you be.

10. Portal (PC

)

This may be the game that makes me give computer FPS a chance.  The wonderful physics puzzling of the portal gun progresses nicely, teaching you all of the different things you can do with your "weapon" at a reasonable pace.  GLaDOS is nearly a perfect character (honorable mention to the turrets) with the writing for her character, and the song in the end credits alone is almost worth the price of the game when its discounted (often).  The game didn't overstay its welcome with the part after the test chambers becoming less straightforward but still using what you had learned.  As a result of how good this game is, I can't wait for the sequel which seems to be a more complete game with the addition of new mechanics and will force me to buy a computer for the first time.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think. 

9. Golden Sun (GBA)

This classic RPG with plenty of twists leaves a more memorable experience than most games in its genre.  The story of the elemental stars perched atop the lighthouses gives you a general next destination throughout the game without telling you how you'll get there, and leaving you waiting for the next climatic battle with Saturos and Mendard's group.  The battles would be ordinary but for the djinn you have to find as you roam the world, adding a Pokemon like mechanic, which you select to set to characters, affecting the moves you can use in battle.  Using them instead for summons causes you to give up their other moves for a short time in return for a big attack, a decision which must be balanced throughout the course of the game.  Perhaps the most wonderful part of the game is the ability to use psynergy outside of battle to do everything from solve dungeon puzzles by growing vines, freezing columns of ice, etc. to reading NPC minds.

8. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

Another solid platformer that at first seemed like it would be a mundane sequel to the original due to shared levels.  However, even the retro levels and those from the first Galaxy seemed mostly new with the new objectives placed inside them.  For the first time in a while Yoshi also came back to add his jumping variety to the platforming.  In addition, new powerups, my favorite being Cloud Mario, are superior to the older ones.  The prankster comets are less predictable and the staff ghosts give a fun goal to beat.  The more consistent access to Luigi allows you to use the type of character you feel like on a given day.  Then there are the green starts which improve greatly upon repeating the same levels with Luigi in the first game, though it almost seems like a waste that many people never see them because you need all of the original stars to unlock them.  The increased difficulty in this game and rewards for actually progressing are a fresh of breath air from the direction Nintendo has been taking Mario games.