By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ: We don't need new hardware, Kinect and Move are enough

Motion control add-ons or no, there's really no reason to kick off a new generation unless sales begin to tank.  Maybe Nintendo is considering it, but MS and Sony are doing about as well as they ever have.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
alfredofroylan said:

Not only Microsoft thinks that Kinect'll push the gaming industry for another 5 years. THQ in on the ship too.

"Frankly, the last thing I think the industry needs now is new hardware. You look at the games coming out on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 now and they look stunning," Farrell said. "If we were to have another $1000 box that the hardware guys have to subsidize and that software developers have to spend even more money developing, that model just doesn't work."

"What's the proposition for the person shelling out the $300-$400 for the system and the $60 for a game, what is value proposition for that gamer?"

"And right now, I don't know what that is in the next console cycle."

"Better graphics? They're pretty darn good now. Better sound? No. Gameplay? Probably not. So I think the ways games are evolving now is really a direction we're going. Where it's going to be is in the play experience; richer stories, better characters, production values that are much more like movies."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1130836p1.html

Oh my......

Puked a little in my mouth when I read the bold.

Sony already has said they are in for the long haul, dont expect an new PS4 from them until 2015

they are really backing there console as future proof and they are delievering with HD graphics, 3D the works. 

Super Wii will come out no doubt in 2012 

MS will release there new Blu Ray console OR digital distribution console in 2014 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Ah yes their immense catalog of praised Wii games should really help them make games for Move.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

I couldn't agree more that the HD consoles are exactly where they need to be. I've said repeatedly before, there's really nowhere to go just yet. 3D isn't popular enough and the TVs aren't going to make a splash for a few years yet (at least), Microsoft might be able to finangle a Blu-Ray player into their stuff, or maybe an add-on to the player that they license Blu-Ray from Sony, but, generally? This is pretty much it for a while. They'd be fools to pull another out when both companies are now in the black on their consoles. They're profitable per unit and they shouldn't throw that away. A new unit would sell, true, but they'd be killing their golden goose with even more debt from development.

Sony and Microsoft fans alike can agree, despite all the arguing, that without the other, the current level of stuff we're getting wouldn't exist. It's the 'next gen' competition that brought us to this point and it's a nice, level point to rest at while they churn out more games and peripherals for the consoles of our choice.

Nintendo is on a different playing field right now and they've captured a LOT of casual gamers. More power to them on that. As said, though, they'll join the HD group eventually, they'll get more competitive games as well and then we'll have even more competition.

It's a good time to be a gamer. We could have better stories, more gameplay and, who knows, maybe as costs come down for development as technology improves, we'll get that and we'll have our own little gaming renaissance of kick ass graphics with kick ass gameplay and stories. But, for now? I think we're in a good place.

Around the Network

THQ is obviously ignoring Nintendo. In the end Nintendo needs a new platform within the next few years as demand continues to die down. THQ is talking alot about the costs to manufacturers as well citing that they loose so much money launching a new platform, but Nintendo always turns a profit out of the door so they would really benefit from a new platform.

The next Nintendo console is going to be unvieled next year and released in 2012. I fully believe Nintendo will launch and it will benefit developers and Nintendo themselves. Despite what THQ says a new Nintendo platform at 275$ would re-invigorate the industry.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

It's true.

Nobody knows what the next gen will bring, because better graphics are going to be met with a 'meh'.  The next gen needs to TRULY offer something different.  This gen pushed the uber powerful console model to the limit and introduced a new way to play.  Time for console manufacturers and game developers to take risks and think outside of the box.  Its what makes Kinect so exciting to some and so feared/hated to others.

Personally I want to see the next gen inspired by the 3D push of Sony, the innovative games of Nintendo and the 'they-got-balls' gusto of Kinect.  Holodeck here we come!!!

Joelcool7 said:

THQ is obviously ignoring Nintendo. In the end Nintendo needs a new platform within the next few years as demand continues to die down. THQ is talking alot about the costs to manufacturers as well citing that they loose so much money launching a new platform, but Nintendo always turns a profit out of the door so they would really benefit from a new platform.

The next Nintendo console is going to be unvieled next year and released in 2012. I fully believe Nintendo will launch and it will benefit developers and Nintendo themselves. Despite what THQ says a new Nintendo platform at 275$ would re-invigorate the industry.

I'm seeing all these comments pointing at Nintendo. Are all of you forgetting that Nintendo is still selling quite well at a profit?!? Have you forgotten how many millions of units they sell for each one of their brand games?!?!? If anything, Nintendo is enjoying their pure profits and they will be better ready to launch when the other 2 are willing to with a great hardware and something new and innovative. 

SaviorX said:

They are already aware Nintendo is to launch their next console the earliest.

They are withholding Super Wii support already!

It's THQ, was that ever in doubt?

Additionally, it''s THQ, was it ever important?

Soonerman said:
Joelcool7 said:

I'm seeing all these comments pointing at Nintendo. Are all of you forgetting that Nintendo is still selling quite well at a profit?!? Have you forgotten how many millions of units they sell for each one of their brand games?!?!? If anything, Nintendo is enjoying their pure profits and they will be better ready to launch when the other 2 are willing to with a great hardware and something new and innovative. 

1st party software still performs extremely well on Wii and so does a few select games. But over all the software marketshare Nintendo holds is also shrinking when compared to Microsoft and Sony. It may not be in Nintendo's best interest to launch first but they may have to if they want to maintain a dominant market share.

Especially if Kinect really lifts off and Move drives Sony's share higher. Nintendo might not have a choice in the matter, not to mention if Nintendo's next console is revolutionary enough they could kill Kinect and Move before Sony and Microsoft manage to secure too much more market share.

The only downside to Nintendo moving that much earlier then the competition is that the competition will then copy Nintendo. Something Nintendo always fears so you never know but I don't think the generation can survive another five years. If Kinect is as successful as MS hopes then Sony and Nintendo will both launch their new platforms in 2012 and kill 360 off or at least hurt its figures alot.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer