By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Konami be worried?

@twestern  you beat me to the punch on that, what kind of person would not buy a game they were planning to get just cause it got released to another console???? I thought it was games first, console 2nd brand 3rd

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Ldn.se said:
twesterm said:
Ldn.se said:

Castlevania sales arent impressive. It bombed. I think that Konami should have released this game as timed exclusive to PS3 or X360..... No doubt we would see decent sales of at least one version.

Am now thinking if same thing could happen to Metal Gear Solid: Rising?

How would releasing it on a single platform mean more sales?

Doing that would only mean less overall sales and then bad sales 6-12  months down the line.

Lost Planet/Bioshock sold well on X360 as an exclusive but the PS3 port didnt have good sales. LP2 wasnt exclusive and there you go, bad sales . Darksiders or Dantes Infeno bombed but im pretty sure that as an exclusive these games would have been more successful.

Ugh, fail.  Just plain fail.

Bioshock was a good game, that's why it sold.  When it was released on the 360, it was a year old game.  That is why it didn't sell nearly as well as the 360.  I promise you, if it had released on both consoles at the same time, the PS3 version would have higher numbers and there would have been more sales overall.

Lost Planet 2 had bad sales because it was a bad game, it had nothing to do with it not being exclusive.  Lost Planet only did as well as it did because there wasn't much like it at the time.  If it had released today it would do about as well as Lost Planet 2 probably.

Games sell well based on how they're advertised and how good they are.  Darksiders and Dante's Inferno weren't anything special so they sold about as much as expected (by the way, both sold a million so neither of them bombed).  If either of those were on a single console, they would not have nearly as large as a userbase and would have sold worse.  Both of those were third party so Sony or Microsoft would not have done much to advertise them if anything.

This really isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Im not convinced. Lost Planet 2 and Dantes inferno are fantastic games. I played LP2 for months and still do sometimes. Both were well advertised but none reached 1m on either console. FFXIII is a 3rd party game and look Mircrosoft sponsored advertising so its not like 3rd party games dont get support from M or S if they are willing to do so.

There is nothing to grasp here. I think some posts should end with IMO.

Ldn.se said:
twesterm said:
Ldn.se said:
twesterm said:
Ldn.se said:

Castlevania sales arent impressive. It bombed. I think that Konami should have released this game as timed exclusive to PS3 or X360..... No doubt we would see decent sales of at least one version.

Am now thinking if same thing could happen to Metal Gear Solid: Rising?

How would releasing it on a single platform mean more sales?

Doing that would only mean less overall sales and then bad sales 6-12  months down the line.

Lost Planet/Bioshock sold well on X360 as an exclusive but the PS3 port didnt have good sales. LP2 wasnt exclusive and there you go, bad sales . Darksiders or Dantes Infeno bombed but im pretty sure that as an exclusive these games would have been more successful.

Ugh, fail.  Just plain fail.

Bioshock was a good game, that's why it sold.  When it was released on the 360, it was a year old game.  That is why it didn't sell nearly as well as the 360.  I promise you, if it had released on both consoles at the same time, the PS3 version would have higher numbers and there would have been more sales overall.

Lost Planet 2 had bad sales because it was a bad game, it had nothing to do with it not being exclusive.  Lost Planet only did as well as it did because there wasn't much like it at the time.  If it had released today it would do about as well as Lost Planet 2 probably.

Games sell well based on how they're advertised and how good they are.  Darksiders and Dante's Inferno weren't anything special so they sold about as much as expected (by the way, both sold a million so neither of them bombed).  If either of those were on a single console, they would not have nearly as large as a userbase and would have sold worse.  Both of those were third party so Sony or Microsoft would not have done much to advertise them if anything.

This really isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Im not convinced. Lost Planet 2 and Dantes inferno are fantastic games. I played LP2 for months and still do sometimes. Both were well advertised but none reached 1m on either console. FFXIII is a 3rd party game and look Mircrosoft sponsored advertising so its not like 3rd party games dont get support from M or S if they are willing to do so.

There is nothing to grasp here. I think some posts should end with IMO.

They didn't reach 1 million on either console because the userbase was divided.  If you're saying a game will sell more on a single console than if it were exclusive rather than multiplatform well then no shit Sherlock.  If Dante's had been released on just PS3 then it probably would have sold about a million on the PS3.  With it releasing multiplatform, it instead sells about 700k on the 360 and about 700k on PS3.  I know this is more copies because I know how to do math!