By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Konami be worried?

On the one hand: how awful. I do love the gothic look of the game (the girl who says she wants you to "play" in the trailer is particularly fantastic) and the mechanics from the dmeo are serviceable enough to carry me through some bitching scenery.

On the other hand: I haven't picked this up yet, and I'm hoping it sees a price drop before my birthday.

Around the Network

I can't see Lords of Shadow having legs so the title is probably doomed to not hit 1 mil. MGS Rising is a different story due to its hefty brand name. However, Konami DOES need to step up their game and stop outsourcing everything to Western studios that handle their titles with incredible ham-handedness. Literally the only BIG series they have is MGS. That's not good

jarrod said:
RageBot said:

I think that only one game has sold over a million copies.

Yep.  Only Circle of the Moon on GBA sold over a million afaik.  Of course, if we counted ports and rereleases then CV1 (FDS, MSX, NES, GBA, VC) and SotN (PS1, SS, XBLA, PSN) might've done it also?

Don't forget the PSP version! SotN was a "hidden" game on Dracula X Chronicles. (which itself was a remake ;-p )

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I think it wouldve done a bit better as PS3 exclusive also, wouldve gained greater exposure, but it might do well in the long run, still time, i myself will be picking it up just before christmas.

Aiddon, the other big series they have is Pro Evolution Soccer, which is getting killed every year by Fifa, although it still does well, imo as long as they strengthen that particular line, and maybe develop more sports titles in the same vien they wouldnt be so dependant on MGS as their main IP.

smbu2000 said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

I think that only one game has sold over a million copies.

Yep.  Only Circle of the Moon on GBA sold over a million afaik.  Of course, if we counted ports and rereleases then CV1 (FDS, MSX, NES, GBA, VC) and SotN (PS1, SS, XBLA, PSN) might've done it also?

Don't forget the PSP version! SotN was a "hidden" game on Dracula X Chronicles. (which itself was a remake ;-p )

While true, I don't generally think single disc/cart compilations should be added to game totals.  Especially for "hidden" games... like Metroid in Prime 1, or Panzer 1 in Orta, or all the NES games in Animal Crossing.

Around the Network
Ldn.se said:

Castlevania sales arent impressive. It bombed. I think that Konami should have released this game as timed exclusive to PS3 or X360..... No doubt we would see decent sales of at least one version.

Am now thinking if same thing could happen to Metal Gear Solid: Rising?

How would releasing it on a single platform mean more sales?

Doing that would only mean less overall sales and then bad sales 6-12  months down the line.

jarrod said:
smbu2000 said:

While true, I don't generally think single disc/cart compilations should be added to game totals.  Especially for "hidden" games... like Metroid in Prime 1, or Panzer 1 in Orta, or all the NES games in Animal Crossing.

While I would usually agree with that, it can be the main attraction sometimes. My gf only played Dracula X Chronicles until she unlocked SotN and then she only played SotN after that. She is only into the GBA/DS Castlevania games and not into the older style Castlevania games, which is why she only wanted to play SotN. ;-p

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.

smbu2000 said:
jarrod said:
smbu2000 said:

While I would usually agree with that, it can be the main attraction sometimes. My gf only played Dracula X Chronicles until she unlocked SotN and then she only played SotN after that. She is only into the GBA/DS Castlevania games and not into the older style Castlevania games, which is why she only wanted to play SotN. ;-p

Eh, why would she do that rather spend $6 for SotN on PSN?

I knew people who for Animal Crossing purely for the NES games too, doesn't mean it's sales should go to stuff like Ice Climbers, Excitebike or Super Mario Bros. :P

edit: though speaking of CV Collections, what happened to the rumored Wii/PSP collection that was supposed to accompany Lords of Shadow?  It was said to have CV1-4, Rondo, Bloodlines and SotN all on one disc?

Ahhh I missed VGChartz

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

jarrod said:
smbu2000 said:

Eh, why would she do that rather spend $6 for SotN on PSN?

I knew people who for Animal Crossing purely for the NES games too, doesn't mean it's sales should go to stuff like Ice Climbers, Excitebike or Super Mario Bros. :P

edit: though speaking of CV Collections, what happened to the rumored Wii/PSP collection that was supposed to accompany Lords of Shadow?  It was said to have CV1-4, Rondo, Bloodlines and SotN all on one disc?

Well I had already bought game, so she just borrowed it from me. ;-p I bought it because I like the older style Castlevanias as well and I wanted to play Dracula X Chronicles. Later she did buy it on XBLA though.

I have many copies of SotN. I have it for the US PS1, JP PS1(first print which includes a nice CD soundtrack), JP Sega Saturn version, XBLA, and on the Dracula X Chronicles game.

That would have been nice if that was on the game. Then it would have been a sure buy for me. As it is, I'm still iffy on whether I'm going to get it when it releases in Japan in December.