By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can someone explain to me what nations like France gain from the EU?

Kasz216 said:

Don't underestimate the advantage of having a bunch of poorer europeon "states" to have full control over because they need the money... making sure they buy German and French products, and that their building efforts are done by german and French companies, with loans made from german and french banks.... etc.

They can use those countries kinda like China uses some of it's areas.

Build it up economically, but make sure that the benefits of the economic growth mostly benefit Western Europeon states.

it's not that easy: it's also a benefit for companies that can outsource production in poorer countries (eastern europe) where workforece costs less...so while the income of big companies from western europe could benefit of this situation (lower cost for workforce and increased market size) the workers of western europe won't get advantages from this situation.

In the long run i doubt that this economic model brings any advantage that's worth seeking.

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Around the Network
libellule said:

EU has advantage and disavantage for France

the initial idea of french political was to build an UE that would be independant of the US/OTAN

of course, it didnt happen ....

now, we have open the door to many new country that are pro-american and that are reducing our independancy without giving us many advantage

we are just some others US dogs .... 

Like France is any better than the USA...

France should just fuk off already and stop trying to boss over the EU. Who do they think they are?? We don't want French leadership in the EU, we'd rather have Germany and UK to take initiative. France is not popular with anybody in the EU and is not an exemplary nation for other EU nations to follow.

endless supply of cheap east-european hookers..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:

Thanks.

That's pretty much the answer I was after.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Slimebeast said:
libellule said:

EU has advantage and disavantage for France

the initial idea of french political was to build an UE that would be independant of the US/OTAN

of course, it didnt happen ....

now, we have open the door to many new country that are pro-american and that are reducing our independancy without giving us many advantage

we are just some others US dogs .... 

Like France is any better than the USA...

France should just fuk off already and stop trying to boss over the EU. Who do they think they are?? We don't want French leadership in the EU, we'd rather have Germany and UK to take initiative. France is not popular with anybody in the EU and is not an exemplary nation for other EU nations to follow.

Oh, but I m not talking about French leaderhip in EU

read again my post

I m talking about an "NO AMERICAN" leadership

get it ?

LEt's go make Iraky War !!!!!!!  gogogo GI gogogog  !!!!!!!

Time to Work !

Around the Network

France is just in it so they have allies when the Germans come knocking again.

starcraft said:
NiKKoM said:

Thanks.

That's pretty much the answer I was after.

that may explain our big unemployement rate ... UE has great advantage !

Time to Work !

we get freedom of movement of capital, labour, etc.

Their companies also get access to relatively untapped markets, such as Eastern Europe are in the future possibly Turkey without tariffs.

Free trade generally leads to lower prices, though 1973 food prices rose in the U.K due to end of cheap food from the commonwealth.

Eastern European immigrants willing to work for low cost has kept wage inflation low here in the U.K

The U.K does still get regional development money.  When I went to Exeter uni on an open day, I heard that they recieved quite a bit of money from the EU for setting up a campus in Cornwall to help kerb the 'brain drain' occurring in the region.

Also, the EU promotes peace and co-operation between European nations, in the 53 years since founding, I'm sure there hasn't been a war between member states.

Less chance of that pesky "let's kill each other" thing that's been going on in Europe for thousands of years.

TheRealMafoo said:

Less chance of that pesky "let's kill each other" thing that's been going on in Europe for thousands of years.

But NATO would cover that too, given that NATO covers pretty much all of Europe that matters (or is in the EU), though i suppose the economic benefits make a more base appeal than the unified military axis

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.