By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has the Playstation Move's apparent success made people go crazy?

buzzard said:
jneul said:

I believe shipment numbers 100%. I also believe that they either overshipped or they factored holidays in their first shipment but the "ramping up production" is a boast, a bluff.

Overshipped? Sony ship what retailers purchase. I guess you meant that retailers overstocked or that retailers factored holidays.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Icyedge said:

Everyone agree that 2.5 million is sold to retailers. If 600K is sold to consumers that means retailers are stocking 3 times what they sold in the first month. Would be pretty bad business on retailers end...

Yeah but Ship can also mean warehouses, ect. It's not unusual for any devs to send a big batch out first.

Sure it can means warehouse, but it means retailers warehouse. Beside, no retailers want to purchase to much of something since it needs to be paid in 30 days whatever its sold or not.

IMU1808 said:

I find some of the excuses hilarious... Like "They're counting PS Eye's and Nav's!!".

lol as I said in the other thread, this means that Sony sold Several million Move units BEFORE THEY LAUNCHED MOVE!

Such an amazing company, truly truly amazing stuff

OT: lol good stuff and we can already see few posts here that back up those points

and for the final (maybe not) time....Move can be used to play MANY games that people already have....for example HR was so popular in EMEAA and once people get to know hey you can play HR with Move they will just buy it and wait until the next core game to interest them...

But then again some don't want to ADMIT such a thing eitherway....can't help it

and oh yeah Move sold out in JP? Crazy!

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Getting actual sales numbers related to Move might end up be like trying to nail jello to the wall.  Sony wants Move to counter the Wii and get more PS3 sales.  Anything else than that isn't important.  They will talk shipped.  If Sony is embedding Move as a controller option in their top titles, and the bulk of what they are doing is like this, you do have a hard time getting a read on how Move impacts game sales.  And if people buy more than one controller per Move base system, then it is hard to read how many have been moved.  Also, the PS3 camera can be upgraded to be a Move system, so that is another bit of confusion.

In short, we may never know for sure.  However, isn't what matters is that Move adds a new enjoyable experience that is meaningfully significant for PS3 owners?

steverhcp02 said:
Seece said:
Icyedge said:

Everyone agree that 2.5 million is sold to retailers. If 600K is sold to consumers that means retailers are stocking 3 times what they sold in the first month. Would be pretty bad business on retailers end...

Yeah but Ship can also mean warehouses, ect. It's not unusual for any devs to send a big batch out first.

Agreed, but we arent discussing a "big batch out first" we are talking about shipped figures 1.5 months after release with production ramp up still not meeting demand for the actual Move controller.

Again move is so very hard to track for obvious reasons. I simply find it comical people are ignoring all logic (sony upping production, pachters restatement, difficult periphs to find, backorders, price increases on amazon in multiple countries combined with the shipped figure) Yet even in the wake of this website having to adjust merely hardware numbers 400k people are so quick you cling to the tracking of probably the most difficult thing this websites ever had to track.

This does seem to be a case of stubborn denial that goes beyond what most reasonable people would accept as evidence Move is actually doing better than projected. And that's in comparison to both SCE projections based upon multiple increases in production, indicating it's been selling above expectation, as well as any fairly irrelevant Sony fan brigade predictions that Move would change everything. Personally, I don't recall reading many of those. 

And while nobody on here uses Pachter statements to support their arguments, some did when he initially assessed Move as "underperforming" and "300,000 units sold" until he released his reassessment that invalidated the original. Naturally that was ignored by those who selectively chose to initially use Pachter as "proof" that Move was a dud.

Anecdotal accounts on availability will vary from region to region. Not to mention some of those accounts will simply be completely fabricated by those trying to push their perspective.

But there's a current 2-4 week back order on standalone Move controllers through Amazon US and featured merchants are in fact price gouging anywhere from $65 to 85. That's a tell right there. The only featured merchant selling at MSRP is Target, currently "Temporarily out of stock."

Whether it's because consumers are buying multiple controllers or because more consumers are adopting, the facts are SCE is ramping up production and yet they are hard enough to find that there is currently money in the flipping/secondary market. Basic principles of supply and demand at work.

Around the Network
evolution_1ne said:
IMU1808 said:
Seece said:
kowenicki said:

I dont think either Sony or MS are making a peripheral for the sake of selling a peripheral.

MOVE and Kinect will only be a success if they drive significant, prolonged extra console sales and software sales as far as I and I'd bet SONY/MS are concerned.

It's quite evident this is an afterthought from Sony, and until recently showed zero passion for Move. I think they care about it as much as Microsoft did HD DVD, they're behind it, but they won't cry a river if it fails ..

I'm pretty sure MS' HD-DVD add-on didn't take up more than 60% of one of their E3 conferences and had strong showings at pretty much all of their conferences like SONY's Move in recent conferences in the past year or 2...

EDIT: Not to mention just look at the bulk of SONY games release this half of the year. Compare the number of Move titles to standard retail SONY releases...

move got 2 stage demos and a montage at E3, 60%?? what conference where you watching?...... Microsoft's

and as for release date it's looks more lop sided due to key delays and it's the launch of the device of course there will be a bunch of games.

move is nothing more than a  peripheral in Sony's eye's I'm mean here in the US it got little to no advertising 

kinect on the other hand is a complete re-branding.

Not sure what you were watching but but from what I remember SONY never went 10 minutes without at least talking about move.

The most important thing for developers is how many potential consumers they will have if they go for a move-based game.

None of the data available or any of the comments clarifies the user-base.

It easy to assume there are over 20 million people with motion plus, but to decide how many households have Move is very difficult. There certainly won't be 2.5 million. Will there be about 1.25 million? 1.5 million? 750,000? Who can actually tell?

This is why the developers judgment will have to rely on Move-based software.

Edit: I notice someone has already made this point. Apple Ogies.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

richardhutnik said:

Getting actual sales numbers related to Move might end up be like trying to nail jello to the wall.  Sony wants Move to counter the Wii and get more PS3 sales.  Anything else than that isn't important.  They will talk shipped.  If Sony is embedding Move as a controller option in their top titles, and the bulk of what they are doing is like this, you do have a hard time getting a read on how Move impacts game sales.  And if people buy more than one controller per Move base system, then it is hard to read how many have been moved.  Also, the PS3 camera can be upgraded to be a Move system, so that is another bit of confusion.

In short, we may never know for sure.  However, isn't what matters is that Move adds a new enjoyable experience that is meaningfully significant for PS3 owners?

If controllers keep selling at current rates, even with the fairly mediocre initial catalog then PS3 owners are finding reasons for buying new sets of controllers.

Whether that's for Move patched/enhanced games like HR, RE5 or MAG, or future Move optional games like KZ3 or SOCOM or Move exclusive titles is sort of irrelevant. Statements claiming Move sales only "count" if those controllers are used to sell Move exclusive/required titles are kind of ridiculous and basically ignore dual control scheme support.

If the controllers continue to sell well and soft support stays consistent, I'm not sure where any imagined shortcomings might be coming from. Obviously not for everyone, but even now, there seems to be enough PS3 owners who are at the very least, curious enough to plunk down $50-100 or more on Move.

bazmeistergen said:

The most important thing for developers is how many potential consumers they will have if they go for a move-based game.

None of the data available or any of the comments clarifies the user-base.

It easy to assume there are over 20 million people with motion plus, but to decide how many households have Move is very difficult. There certainly won't be 2.5 million. Will there be about 1.25 million? 1.5 million? 750,000? Who can actually tell?

This is why the developers judgment will have to rely on Move-based software.

Not entirely. Developers, particularly for core games, still have the option of going with dual control scheme support.

Any FPS game. Pretty much any shooter. Or any game that uses pointing as a primary control mechanic.

This is why the "Move can only be judged by how many Move required games it sells" argument falls flat.

Of course if the "Move compatible" bullet doesn't help sell a game (even harder to gauge), then sure; expect to see future Move support drop.

But given the advantage pointer based controls can have over analog stick aiming, particularly in FPS games, I have a hard time seeing this happen.

DirtyP2002 said:

I think the easiest way is the best way here: Follow VGC numbers. ioi said something about 500k in the first month and this sounds reasonable according to every tracking service we have access to. (GFK, Enterbrain / Charttrack, NPD, VGC)

So move had a decent start. It did not flop big time and it did not take the world by storm either.

The problem will occur with people saying Move outsold device XXX (most likley Kinect) and do so according to shipped numbers. I mean it is obvious that Sony tracks every single piece of the Move experience as a sold PS Move. While Kinect is basically one device per household.

I think the best way to check the impact of these devices are software sales. Not just Sports Champion vs Kinect Adventures but software overall. The next problem will be like this: "OMFG Killzone 3 sold 2 million, move outselling Kinect!" while Killzone 3 obviously will sell even without Move support. The VERY best way: Compare Move only with Kinect only titles. Sorcery and Dance Central seem to be a nice indicator for the impact of those two new devices.

@bolded

And WHY is this the very best way? Because it might favor your view on the whole matter? I think that's pure bullshit, as PS3 will have titles with DS3 and MOVE support, why shouldn't these be counted? Because you don't like that. For all you know Killzone 3 might sell 1m extra copies because of MOVE, same thing with LBP2.

"I think the easiest way is the best way here: Follow VGC numbers." - You know what I think? I think the easiest way is to follow Sony numbers, because compared to VGC numbers (no offense) they are actually true numbers and not only estimates (especially for MOVE who VGC said would be harder to track. You feel we should use VGC numbers only, because they suit your view.

"The problem will occur with people saying Move outsold device XXX (most likley Kinect)"... I think you should rephrase that to: "The problem FOR ME will occur with people saying Move outsold device XXX (most likley Kinect)" - Because you will obviously have a problem with it.

"I think the best way to check the impact of these devices are software sales." - Yes, that's why you choose to count MOVE only title right? Because those will be the only titles selling to MOVE users right? You actually contradict yourself in your own post. Great work Maestro!!

Might as well write us a straight post, and tell us that you actually don't want to see MOVE to be successful (or Sony at all for that matter). That's what I do, and I get banned for it, because that's obviously "trolling". At least I say what I mean and don't try to sneakily imply it in every single post I make. It's getting pretty tiresome reading all this unnoticed (mostly by the MODS of course) stealth trolling going on. I mean, it's so obvious it's not even funny. It's ruining my READING and making me REPLYING, and I don't like writing posts.... because I'm angry... and I want to keep my account.