By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has the Playstation Move's apparent success made people go crazy?

Fumanchu said:
Squilliam said:
jneul said:

this site is going to be even more funny when everyone magically believes ms figures for kinect's shipments and automatically convert it in to definitive units sold without question, on the other hand sony are always lying and spinning their numbers and doing dirty things to make it look better like counting eyes and navi's and saying they are ramping up production(sarcasm).

seriously I think people should be warned at this rate as they are constantly going around in circles without actually proving that Sony is definitely lying about their figures and have lots of moves hiding away, this is pretty much the same argument people use against the ps3 earlier on this year despite shortages and look what happened, vgc had to adjust up ps3 because they didn't believe shortages, and they will have to do the same with move sales, sorry but they have under-estimated it by a huge amount

there that will be ban xxx for me lol

The way Microsoft and Sony count shipments is different and typically Microsofts is closer to the truth of what is happening at retail because Microsoft is a software company whos main shipments are extra installations but no physical hardware and Sony is well a consumer electronics company. You can believe that the Microsoft numbers are a tighter in comparison to vgchartz numbers.

I had just recently proposed a theory like this from reading several comments to this effect in the past, but it was just debunked as myth.  Now I see it pop up again straight away - I'm really confused.    

Its the way they work. When Microsoft 'ships' most of their products, an OEM just installs a copy into one extra machine or a tech does it in a large enterprise. They don't actually move product. Also when they did Windows 7 pre-orders they booked that already recieved monies to the quarter of release. So shipments for them tend to be more fulfilled orders which is why the PS3 / Xbox 360 shipment discrepency relative to each other exists.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Fumanchu said:
Squilliam said:
jneul said:

this site is going to be even more funny when everyone magically believes ms figures for kinect's shipments and automatically convert it in to definitive units sold without question, on the other hand sony are always lying and spinning their numbers and doing dirty things to make it look better like counting eyes and navi's and saying they are ramping up production(sarcasm).

seriously I think people should be warned at this rate as they are constantly going around in circles without actually proving that Sony is definitely lying about their figures and have lots of moves hiding away, this is pretty much the same argument people use against the ps3 earlier on this year despite shortages and look what happened, vgc had to adjust up ps3 because they didn't believe shortages, and they will have to do the same with move sales, sorry but they have under-estimated it by a huge amount

The way Microsoft and Sony count shipments is different and typically Microsofts is closer to the truth of what is happening at retail because Microsoft is a software company whos main shipments are extra installations but no physical hardware and Sony is well a consumer electronics company. You can believe that the Microsoft numbers are a tighter in comparison to vgchartz numbers.

I had just recently proposed a theory like this from reading several comments to this effect in the past, but it was just debunked as myth.  Now I see it pop up again straight away - I'm really confused.    

Its the way they work. When Microsoft 'ships' most of their products, an OEM just installs a copy into one extra machine or a tech does it in a large enterprise. They don't actually move product. Also when they did Windows 7 pre-orders they booked that already recieved monies to the quarter of release. So shipments for them tend to be more fulfilled orders which is why the PS3 / Xbox 360 shipment discrepency relative to each other exists.

This may affect how they report sales of their SW, but how does that affect how they report sales of the 360, a tangible object?  They both (at least I know for Sony) are reporting sales to retailers.  So how does MS's method of reporting HW sales to retailers make it more in line with what retailers/customers are buying?

Good post. Though there was a lot of effort to discredit posters who want to question the entire matter. You covered your behind well.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

1. be ready to make a thread like this next gen! or next wk?

2. biasness: thats all it is. the console wars is with the gamer not the console manufacture, so hince the war is in the gamers head and not the battle feild?

3. again biasness.

4. the most overlooked statement made so far. an annoucment already made thats being ignored.

5. in gamers eyes that are against move and Sony, it won't matter wht move sells it will still be a failure, and thats sad when we have bigger problems in this industry like that law in California. i would urge gamers to stop there hatred for the console not of there choice and fight for art and the right to game.

6. great thread. look forward to doing this when kinect releases!

It'll be same thing second verse, could be better but it's gonna get worse.

loads have really popped out from behind the bike-shed recently havent they?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:
Fumanchu said:
Squilliam said:
jneul said:

This may affect how they report sales of their SW, but how does that affect how they report sales of the 360, a tangible object?  They both (at least I know for Sony) are reporting sales to retailers.  So how does MS's method of reporting HW sales to retailers make it more in line with what retailers/customers are buying?

This. What Squil writes is normally true for MS business, but it doesn't apply to HW, where its sales figures are not computed very differently from competitors . But some people don't realize it, that's what generates that particular preconception in MS favour. MS has an uncanny ability about this, not directly causing ambiguity, but letting it happen and work in its favour.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

evolution_1ne said:
DirtyP2002 said:
jneul said:
DirtyP2002 said:
jneul said:
Nomad Blue said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I want to play this game, too!

Here is my local media markt (biggest electronic retailer in Europe)

If this does not work for whatever reason:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9379/imag0017l.jpg

There are more than 100 PS Move in my store in a city with 70k people living at. And I asked the employee and he said they had about the same number in the back.

Another Media Markt in my home town has about 50 in stock. I did not make a picture and I did not asked an employee either. There are no shortages in Germany

But somehow I read on the internet PS Move is sold out in Germany and nowhere to be found. This is not true.

When were those PS Move's delivered?  I'm pretty sure it's only the individual Move controllers that are sold out, not the bundle.

lol it was probably a recent re-stock, the scee info told us ps move has an adoption rate of 60%-100% in eu countries, so that means a minimum of 900k sales in europe alone, dirtp can keep his dirty tactics to himself

POSTING IMAGES OF MOVE STARTER BUNDLES IS NOT EVIDENCE THAT ALL OF EU HAS STOCK LYING AROUND!!

I took this picture 2 days after release I guess. No re-stock first shipment.

Are you really trying to tell me the stuff I see with my own eyes is not true, but the stuff on the internet is? There are no shortages in my region and somehow I doubt that they sit on hundreds of PS Move controllers in northern Germany while the rest of the country is desperatly trying to get it. There are no shortages in Germany. Period.

I have no problem to buy PS Move at my online store of choice either. It is not the biggest online retailer, but it is quiet known though. You can get every PS Move related. Sub-controller, charging station, wand and even the pistol-stuff. No shortages for any of those.

wow so it was taken ages ago then, them 200 moves will not be there anymore(would have been bought and replaced with new stock) also shortages was reported after day 2, now kindly go back to kinect thread's before i report you, so much for you never trolling, just because you can get it does not mean everyone else can....

I think you might have a wrong definition of "trolling". I add something to the discussion. Obviously something you don't want to be true.

Do you want me to take daily pictures?

you posted a pic of move shipments at launch to try and justify Sony over shipping and or no shortages after it's been out for almost 2 months........ or am I missing something?

I had to go to university today and the Media Markt is just around the corner so I checked if there are any PS Move left.

I asked another employee and he told me this is still the first shipment. They reduced the price as you can see. It is 55 € now. It used to be 60€. (Check first pic) Not a big deal, but still far away from the reported shortages. This is a picture I took today. At first I thought I was wrong and they are sold out, but they just moved below the Xbox 360 section at the bottom as you can see. The PS Move demo is not displayed anymore. (Check the first pic, there is a guy playing PS Move) Instead there are turntables for the Xbox 360 version of DJ Hero 2.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
evolution_1ne said:

you posted a pic of move shipments at launch to try and justify Sony over shipping and or no shortages after it's been out for almost 2 months........ or am I missing something?

I had to go to university today and the Media Markt is just around the corner so I checked if there are any PS Move left.

I asked another employee and he told me this is still the first shipment. They reduced the price as you can see. It is 55 € now. It used to be 60€. (Check first pic) Not a big deal, but still far away from the reported shortages. This is a picture I took today. At first I thought I was wrong and they are sold out, but they just moved below the Xbox 360 section at the bottom as you can see. The PS Move demo is not displayed anymore. (Check the first pic, there is a guy playing PS Move) Instead there are turntables for the Xbox 360 version of DJ Hero 2.

Wrong again.  Most of us agree that the bundles are in stock.  But it's becoming quite common for the MOVE controller itself that's hard to find.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
DirtyP2002 said:
evolution_1ne said:

Wrong again.  Most of us agree that the bundles are in stock.  But it's becoming quite common for the MOVE controller itself hard to find.

There are Move controllers as well. I just didn't make a picture.

When I posted the first picture: Ohh that is old, probably sold out already. There are shortages!

When I post the second picture: It is just the starter kit! Everything else is sold out.... except software, subcontrollers, charging stations and PS eye.

So the starter kit is available and the first shipment is not sold out. Small price cut happened though.

software is not sold, because it is not needed... there is a demo disc! That is why there is almost no game in the PAL charts at all.

What does it take to convince you that PS Move is not the blockbuster-out-of-the-gate-success like Sony wants to make it look like? I can post myself naked covered with move controllers and you guys would probably say those aren't real ones and I faked them in my basement.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

There are Move controllers as well. I just didn't make a picture.

When I posted the first picture: Ohh that is old, probably sold out already. There are shortages!

When I post the second picture: It is just the starter kit! Everything else is sold out.... except software, subcontrollers, charging stations and PS eye.

So the starter kit is available and the first shipment is not sold out. Small price cut happened though.

software is not sold, because it is not needed... there is a demo disc! That is why there is almost no game in the PAL charts at all.

What does it take to convince you that PS Move is not the blockbuster-out-of-the-gate-success like Sony wants to make it look like? I can post myself naked covered with move controllers and you guys would probably say those aren't real ones and I faked them in my basement.

Sony isnt "trying" to make it look like anything. Having to up production to meet demand and selling 2.5 million points to Sony underestimating how much they would need. Thats all people are saying. You cant up production to meet demand and say youre selling less than anticipated. Its illogical and asinine.

Also i, as well as other posters have mentioned, the starter kit is a separate SKU, I cant speak for others but i believe sony underestimated how much the PS3 community wanted Move and over estimated how much new users would be buying the kits. Thats why we speak about Move controllers because that distinctly is A single controller.

Gauging "unique users" is just a lame attempt to diminish what we talk about on this site and thats unit sales. Theres simply no way to draw a direct substanatial correlation between a single piece of software (SC) to unique users because of the patched games as well as PSN games. We simply dont know.

We at this site have and should continue to discuss unit sales. If you want to open up that can of worms of "unique sales" to diminish this product thats your prerogative. The only thing ill say to that is i find it to be a lackluster, weak attempt considering not only VGC but all tracking institutes track unit sales, not to mention finicancial reports and real world application when discussing simply sales a unit sold is a unit sold.

Now, if you want to discuss the effect of unique users in regards to future developmental support and software sales youre simply going to have to wait for a couple of months when we get more software to compare because as it stands there are too many question marks to hold that debate.