By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has the Playstation Move's apparent success made people go crazy?

CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:
CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:
CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:
CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:

Success is all relative.  Do I believe that in and of itself Move will make a profit?  Likely.

Could the resources Sony has poured into it have been better spent?  Probably.

Did Move do what Sony and many of it's fans hoped or intended?  Certainly not.

And what did either of them intend?

A revitalizing of the platform?  Some sort of gaming revolution?

Certainly a much greater set of sales to consumers and a far better resonation with the public than what has happened thus far.

Could the situation change?  Of course.

Will it change?  Let's wait and see.

I don't recall Sony saying that. I certainly don't recall Sony fans saying that.

Are you honestly going to refute the notion that Playstation Move was a strongly hyped, highly emphasised part of Sony's PS3 stratagem from the moment it was announced?

I'm strongly refuting your claims, which are nothing more than blowing smoke. Move wasn't hyped to all crazy levels by Sony nor Sony fans. It had hype, but it wasn't expected to do gangbusters, as you seem to be implying.

Please do not paraphrase me, nor refuse to engage with my logical arguments by simple labelling them as smoke.  If you wish to concede, do so.  If not, engage.

See my response to Carl.  There was a tonne of Sony-centered hype for the product.  It will no doubt make money, it did not meet the hopes of Sony.

So you know Sony hopes? Elaborate.

And btw, I've watched your posts throughout this thread. You're stumbling all over yourself. And I engaged your argument, in fact I flat out call it out. Just because you didn't like the response you got doesn't mean it didn't directly challenge your point, which you've yet to refute outside of opinions and theories.

CGI remember what you told me when I was in my dead end argument with that Micheal5 guy, yeah let me return the favor, dude just give up man, there's no winning this fight no matter how much logic and fact you throw at him.

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:
billsalias said:

You cherry picked by using such a limited example.

For example if you look at eb you will find tons of move controllers availabe:

http://www.ebgames.com/Browse/StoreSearch.aspx?sku=804177&return=/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=78144&loc=sonymove_btn_buynow

Also, wal mart does not have them online but the two in my town have many in the store.

Also if you check out eb or best buy you will see every store has the starter pack in ready supply.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&skuId=1051329&_requestid=244367

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&skuId=1051329&_requestid=246161

So both of your are wrong. There are a major retailers in major metro areas that are sold out but it is far from the complete sell out implied either. There are plenty of starter packs available and if you want a move controller you may not be able to go to the nearest store but you sure can find one without much trouble (10 ebs and 1 best buy have them within 15 miles of my zip 02189 and both walmarts within 2 miles). On the other side there are 5 stores in the same range that are sold out.

So how about you both give it a rest and drop this entire stupid pissing contest and get on with something more productive then trolling.

No im not. Youre using a completely different SKU. Im not commenting on starter bundles since those arent Move controllers. Starter bundles are in less demand and i believe sony overshipped them originally and I believe Move is selling not only more to users who own a PS3 but people are showing demand for multiple Move contorllers resulting in limited quantities of Move controllers.

I never said they were "out of stock" i showed links in which it showed 2/6 best buys or 1/6 or even 3/6 in a given 20 mile radius for 4 major cities in the USA and then my local area. My point, and as i said before, is that its sporadic. The fact that roughly 50% of large chain electronic stores, as well as the largest online retailer does not have stock of an item over 1 month after release and after an increase in supply points towards the distinct possibility an overshipment never occurred to inflate numbers.

Its not a pissing contest. Its an argument rooted in logic with real world examples that directly contradict what starcraft is saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

First I gave examples of both starter packs and move controllers above, not just starter packs. I also gave other stores besides best buy where move controller specifically are not in short supply as examples. If you read above, 10 electronics boutiques within 15 miles of me have move controllers in stock. So the shortages are not as dramatic as you are saying when you look at any store besides best buy.

It is a pissing contest because on one side you are saying "distinct possibility an overshipment never occurred" while the other (starcraft) is claiming there is no shortage when evidence has been provided that says both are false and the evidence has been ignored.

The truth, as you just said above, appears to be that Sony has over shipped starter packs but under shipped stand alone controllers. In addition you are continuing to argue that move controllers are only available at "50% of major retailers" even though I provided links showing that 90% of EBs I checked (which is anecdotal evidence by the way but it is no more so then the best buy stock info you provided) have stock as well as other stores. So because you are not addressing arguments point for point or admitting when one of your arguments is countered you are having a pissing contest not a debate.

And not to be one sided, anyone (starcraft) saying there is not strong demand for move controllers or that there are no supply issues at all is ignoring evidence to the contrary. There are definitely many major retailers in major metro areas that have move controllers in short supply. And though some retailers are worse off then others more then one chain has seen at least some stores not be able to meet demand.

Let me rephrase what I said before to try and make this less absolute, you are both wrong and your are both right. Of the 2.5 million move controllers shipped a large number, mostly in the form of starter packs, are sitting on shelves or in warehouses. But demand for stand alone move controllers is out pacing supply enough for some stores to struggle to keep stock.

As I have said in another post in this thread, this argument is also largely pointless. Without knowing what the allocation of starter packs to controllers was in that 2.5 figure we have no way of interpreting the fact that controller supply is short or that there is excess stock of starter packs. For example if Sony shipped 750k starter packs and 1.75 million controllers then the meaning is very different then if they shipped 2 million starter packs and 500k controllers.

I am sorry if I snapped at you guys, but it gets very frustrating trying to sift through pages and pages of quoted posts with little to no new information (not just yours in that category) trying to find something worth reading.

just posting to see where this thread goes...was actually bored and read practically the whole thread...so thank you!!!

Wow this thread needs to cool down.

ioi himself made clear that there was a lot of room for error (and there is, trust me) in any estimate of Move sales at this point from the available info.  He made a stab at it and his estimates could be anywhere from close to miles off.  No way to know yet.

To elabourate a bit, Move has launched with a bewildering number of ways to buy it, plus it's launched with a number of existing titles able to use it via a patch (I can't be botherered checking but just Heavy Rain and Eyepet worldwide must give a base of over 2M owners with a title they could patch and use with Move).  Not only that, but one of those titles, EyePet, even includes half of the starter bundle.  Then we have games which sold with EyeToy that aren't patched but nonetheless mean their are EyeToy owners who just need to buy a single Move wand to get on board.

Then we have clear evidence of both excess stock in some places and not enough in others - initiall allocation problems by the look of it coupled with varying demand by region/store for starter bundles vs single units.

Then we have sales across a variety of launch titles that range from okay to weak.  Linked to this is the fact most titles have demos, and in most cases those demos could easily keep someone going for a while without even buying a single game just to try out their nice new starter bundle.  My kids are still happily playing The Shoot and Start the Party demos (and as I'm sure not buying those titles full price they'd better learn to love the demos for a while)

Plus we have analysts jumping about, from  Patcher saying it's underperformed to Patcher going whoops, did I say that?  No it's performed pretty well and demand will be strong.

Also, at this point, via retailer feedback, Sony will be starting to get a handle of what the sell through is really looking like and what future ordering might look like.  Retailers themselves will be taking stock and deciding how they want to order/inventory Move, meanwhile the holidays will be approaching and decisions will have to be made about what peak demand might look like, and whether enough stock is already in place or not...in short, there is a lot of noise around the launch.

Therefore... forget it.  It's all broad guesses at this point, even for ioi, heck, even for Sony.

Things will settle down, better patterns will emerge, but really, there's way too many statements being thrown around in this thread as facts when they absolutely cannot be facts at this point, as well as supposedly "known" info such as exactly what Sony expected initial demand/sales to be which in fact is something we clearly do not have any access to or knowledge about and can only guess, and clearly those guesses can be across a wide spectrum of possibilities.

I've had fun guestimating just to play with the numbers, but too many people are moving beyond just having some fun and getting into heated arguements that simply cannot have a winner on either side at this point.

What we know is public statements on shippments to retailers across Europe, US and Latin America to the tune of 2.5 million plus this site's estimates on Move title sales plus ioi's estimates playing with some variables to guess sales of Move itself - based on ratios which you could easily argue could be higher/lower or whatever with so little available info.

Time to chill people.  We don't know the sell through and it's all guesses at this point.  Too many variables.

When the quote trails get too long it's a sure sign to cool it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

jneul said:

this site is going to be even more funny when everyone magically believes ms figures for kinect's shipments and automatically convert it in to definitive units sold without question, on the other hand sony are always lying and spinning their numbers and doing dirty things to make it look better like counting eyes and navi's and saying they are ramping up production(sarcasm).

seriously I think people should be warned at this rate as they are constantly going around in circles without actually proving that Sony is definitely lying about their figures and have lots of moves hiding away, this is pretty much the same argument people use against the ps3 earlier on this year despite shortages and look what happened, vgc had to adjust up ps3 because they didn't believe shortages, and they will have to do the same with move sales, sorry but they have under-estimated it by a huge amount

there that will be ban xxx for me lol

The way Microsoft and Sony count shipments is different and typically Microsofts is closer to the truth of what is happening at retail because Microsoft is a software company whos main shipments are extra installations but no physical hardware and Sony is well a consumer electronics company. You can believe that the Microsoft numbers are a tighter in comparison to vgchartz numbers.

Tease.

Around the Network
Bokal said:
Squilliam said:

The total number of Move only software titles sold is the only metric which counts. It is the only metric by which developers will use to justify further support over the longer term of 1-3 years and it is the only metric which is directly comparable to other platforms.

Why "Move only" software? If I buy the move now, it would be for Heavy rain, MAG, RUSE or RE5, not for Sports Champions. And the next ones that makes me intersted in it is Socom and Killzone, so all DS3 or Move games. And I'm certainly not the only one like that.

So? how is "Move only" software a metric of anything?

Buying Move only software is the only way you'll get Move games built from the ground up to support the platform. At the moment it is Move tack-ons and cheap minigames.

The reason Move only is a software metric is because it is the only software which will definitively tell us the size of the overall userbase.

Tease.

1. be ready to make a thread like this next gen! or next wk?

2. biasness: thats all it is. the console wars is with the gamer not the console manufacture, so hince the war is in the gamers head and not the battle feild?

3. again biasness.

4. the most overlooked statement made so far. an annoucment already made thats being ignored.

5. in gamers eyes that are against move and Sony, it won't matter wht move sells it will still be a failure, and thats sad when we have bigger problems in this industry like that law in California. i would urge gamers to stop there hatred for the console not of there choice and fight for art and the right to game.

6. great thread. look forward to doing this when kinect releases!

Shipped and sold are two completely different things.

Squilliam said:
jneul said:

this site is going to be even more funny when everyone magically believes ms figures for kinect's shipments and automatically convert it in to definitive units sold without question, on the other hand sony are always lying and spinning their numbers and doing dirty things to make it look better like counting eyes and navi's and saying they are ramping up production(sarcasm).

seriously I think people should be warned at this rate as they are constantly going around in circles without actually proving that Sony is definitely lying about their figures and have lots of moves hiding away, this is pretty much the same argument people use against the ps3 earlier on this year despite shortages and look what happened, vgc had to adjust up ps3 because they didn't believe shortages, and they will have to do the same with move sales, sorry but they have under-estimated it by a huge amount

there that will be ban xxx for me lol

The way Microsoft and Sony count shipments is different and typically Microsofts is closer to the truth of what is happening at retail because Microsoft is a software company whos main shipments are extra installations but no physical hardware and Sony is well a consumer electronics company. You can believe that the Microsoft numbers are a tighter in comparison to vgchartz numbers.

I had just recently proposed a theory like this from reading several comments to this effect in the past, but it was just debunked as myth.  Now I see it pop up again straight away - I'm really confused.    

Rath said:

I'm sure somebody has pointed this out but I'm not reading 200 or so posts.

Latin America practically is all of South America.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Latin_America_(orthographic_projection).svg

Whoops.  You're right.  Damn, I should have looked that up before I re-re-edited my OP.  Oh well, lol.  I'll just re-re-re-edit it.  Thanks for the correction.