By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many games bombing in 2010?

Castlevania, Enslaved, Split/Second, Alan Wake, Modnation Racers, Blur, NMH2, Red Steel 2, Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions, Prince of Persia: TFS and so many other games are bombing, even though they are all great games.

The userbases are much bigger, but it feels like gamers are buying less games than they did back 2007, 2008 and 2009. The only things that seem to sell well are First Person Shooters and major franchises. Console sales have been great, but it doesn't seem like anyone that's buying all these new consoles are actually willing to buy new software with them.

My crazy theory is that this generation is starting to burn out for the 'gamer' market, it's been 5 years since the launch of the 360 and maybe all those early adopters are starting fall out of their core gamer habits. It might be ok to play Oblivion for 16 hours straight when your 15, but when your 20 years old, you have other responsibilities and your hobby has to fall to the side. I've noticed now that I'm struggling to pick and choose between games I want at launch because I don't want to waste money, while in the past I used to buy nearly every game I wanted at launch. I've also dropped my gaming time significantly since last year.

The consoles that are being sold now, are being sold to the casual market. That market only identify with a few franchises such as Call of Duty, Halo, Mario, Wii series, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, Random Shooter No. 26, FIFA, Assassins Creed, Just Dance,  Gears of War and Final Fantasy. They are satisfied with those franchises and aren't willing to put more money down for a few more games every year. I've always had a feeling that the core market was about 3 million gamers per platform, they are the people that buy the Fallouts, the Dragon Ages, the Red Factions, the JRPG's, the random niche game and etcetera. They are falling off, while the more casual group are growing and until the next console generation, I don't think that core market will rise up again.

Why do you think so many good quality games are bombing in 2010?

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

There's just way too many games coming out. There's like 4-5 interesting games coming out every week. We can't keep up!

Not every game can sell millons upon millons of copies. I think nobody want's to take a risk and buy a game that's different from the big COD franchises. People cry about it being the same old game,but it's the same old game that people really want to play. I think that the sales speak to that. I don't think all of those games really bombed,but they did'nt sell millons upon millons of copies. It's all in how you see it. lol

Boutros said:

There's just way too many games coming out. There's like 4-5 interesting games coming out every week. We can't keep up!

That could also have something to do with it. All the big games of the year,usually come out during the fall and winter,once after another. If it's not a big franchise game,people will usually overlook them.

Split/Second, Modnation Racers and Blur came out almost at the same time

Around the Network

castlevania and enslaved bomb because they came in a packed week, if they released instead of darksiders/dantes inferno they would have done better.

other then that its the fault of activision, they are making everything noobed down, and now games have to be cool to sell. other then that the top franchises have gotten more popular since the begining of the gen.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

oldschoolfool said:
Boutros said:

That could also have something to do with it. All the big games of the year,usually come out during the fall and winter,once after another. If it's not a big franchise game,people will usually overlook them.

some of the games mentioned had weak advertisement, middle ground reveiws, or was a sequel (prince of persia) that failed to impress gamers worse then the movie did lol.

oldschoolfool said:

Not every game can sell millons upon millons of copies. I think nobody want's to take a risk and buy a game that's different from the big COD franchises. People cry about it being the same old game,but it's the same old game that people really want to play. I think that the sales speak to that. I don't think all of those games really bombed,but they did'nt sell millons upon millons of copies. It's all in how you see it. lol

well said

oldschoolfool said:

I don't expect all these games to be multi-million sellers, I do expect them to actually have an opening that can break 100,000 on their opening week. I just find that games that had been reviewed worse in 2008 did better than games that are reviewed better in 2010. Dark Sector shouldn't have a larger opening week than a game like Castlevania, which looked to have been a grand opening into a new direction for the franchise.

2007 and 2008 had been some of the busiest years for game releases and they had both had the most GOTY's released in recent memory and yet even the low tier games sold better than some of the Game of the Year contenders of 2010.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

That's why they call him "President O-Bomb-A"!!

(I stole that from TWKUK)

Twitter: @d21lewis