By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Nintendo break 100 million

Euphoria14 said:

I honestly do not know how much longer it will last and will wait for the holidays to end before I am 100% ready to make a prediction, but with how things are going I doubt it will ever touch the PS2's lifetime numbers.

I see posts about how it is above PS2 numbers at this time, but that means absolutely nothing because Nintendo will not have the Wii distributed worldwide like the PS2 was and will not have the boatload of support the PS2 did either, so lining up sales at this point in each of their lifetimes is useless if you ask me.

I agree, I'm pretty sure at this point in time of the PS2's lifespan it wasn't falling this hard.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Euphoria14 said:

I honestly do not know how much longer it will last and will wait for the holidays to end before I am 100% ready to make a prediction, but with how things are going I doubt it will ever touch the PS2's lifetime numbers.

I see posts about how it is above PS2 numbers at this time, but that means absolutely nothing because Nintendo will not have the Wii distributed worldwide like the PS2 was and will not have the boatload of support the PS2 did either, so lining up sales at this point in each of their lifetimes is useless if you ask me.

I agree, I'm pretty sure at this point in time of the PS2's lifespan it wasn't falling this hard.

PS2 came to its current sales because of it's crazy legs in its twilight years. It was still pulling consistent 150k plus weeks in its 7th year. Wii might not even be getting produced anymore in 2013.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

raptors11 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:

I say 100 Million by the end of 2011...so yes. Also I am one of the few who still thinks the Wii will outsell the PS2 in the end. Its still $200.

The PS2 is at 138million (according to VG) and still gonna sell a few million more. You really think the Wii can double its current lifetime sales even though its past its peak?

Yup Lol! I honestly think that the Wii will pass the PS2 in total lifetime sales in the end. People are calling it over already but the Holiday's will explode again.

CGI-Quality said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
raptors11 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:

I say 100 Million by the end of 2011...so yes. Also I am one of the few who still thinks the Wii will outsell the PS2 in the end. Its still $200.

The PS2 is at 138million (according to VG) and still gonna sell a few million more. You really think the Wii can double its current lifetime sales even though its past its peak?

Yup Lol! I honestly think that the Wii will pass the PS2 in total lifetime sales in the end. People are calling it over already but the Holiday's will explode again.

People are reasonable in their predictions about the Wii. Why would it suddenly explode? I mean, it'll have some good software for the holidays, but system pushers? At the end of 06, 07, 08, and '09, there were system movers for the Wii. 2010 looks to not have that.

Golden Eye 007__Disney's Epic Mickey__Sonic Colors__Just Dance 2__UDraw__M.J The Experience__Kirby's Epic Yarn__Remote Plus__Red Wii and Super Mario Collection__Donkey Kong Country Returns__Wii Party

The games listed above will help sell some systems with the major one's being highlighted.

CGI-Quality said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
CGI-Quality said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
raptors11 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:

People are reasonable in their predictions about the Wii. Why would it suddenly explode? I mean, it'll have some good software for the holidays, but system pushers? At the end of 06, 07, 08, and '09, there were system movers for the Wii. 2010 looks to not have that.

Golden Eye 007__Disney's Epic Mickey__Sonic Colors__Just Dance 2__UDraw__M.J The Experience__Kirby's Epic Yarn__Remote Plus__Red Wii and Super Mario Collection__Donkey Kong Country Returns__Wii Party

The games listed above will help sell some systems with the major one's being highlighted.

The only system mover is the Red Wii. I can see an increase for DK, but nothing major.

All of the games I listed should have at least a tiny increase with the 5 games highlighted all having big effects overall.

Wii Party: It hasn't helped the Wii very much yet but come November I can see Wii Party making a decent increase.

M.J The Experience: M.J was and still is huge and many people around the world support him and are big fans...this one should sell well and move a good number of Wii's this Holiday.

UDraw: UDraw adds to the family friendly look of the Wii and should have a big effect on parents with children this Holiday despite Kinect and Move.

Red Wii Mario Bundle: Mario is the biggest video game character of all time and even fans who already own a Wii may pick up another Wii just for this bundle. The Red Wii could also push the Wii over the PS3 in Japan this Holiday. 

Donkey Kong Country Returns: Back in the SNES days D.K.C nearly single handedly regenerated its sales and helped it reach #1 for its gen. Now after years of no true Donkey Kong he is finally back and ready to amaze again. D.K.C.R is set to be the biggest non bundled system mover of the year!(Beating out G.T.5 and Halo Reach)

Around the Network

for nintendo to get up to 100m wii's sold by december 2011, they have to start selling about 420,000 units weekly

to get up to 100m wii's sold by december 2012, they have to sell about 225,000 units weekly

if wiis hardware sales stay pretty close to constant they will reach 100m sales in about april of 2013

i dont think wii sales will stay constant, they'll continue their decline a bit after a new years sales increase.  i doubt it'll get to 100m

*Sound Of Rain said:
raptors11 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:

All right man. Well I guess you can't count the Wii out, nobody thought it would sell anything when it was announced.

I guess a big holiday this year and then a price drop to $150 next year (and eventually down to $100) could keep it selling well for a few more years.

darthdevidem01 said:

Yes it will but I don't think it will pass PS1.

That's a tight margin you are putting on it's final sales.
You are sure it will pass 100 million, but don't think it will pass 102.49 million.

Myself, yes it will definately pass 100 million... I think the likely scenario is around 110 million in the end, it could have done so much more if a lot of developers and publishers hadn't been such cocks.

it's not going to outsell ps2, it will fall short of ps2 sales, it's in decline now and i expect it to crawl to 90m eventually, i was hoping it would have crazy sales again this year, but sadly it will not happen...

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

So some people are expecting the supernova like start of the Wii to end with more of a fiery plummet than a somewhat slow descent.  Can't say I blame them, but we really have to see how Chistmas and the weeks after goes, so we can see where it stabilizes.