By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
AnthonyW86 said:
tuscaniman said:
Severance said:
tuscaniman said:

Kinect isn't even out yet and everyone has determined what Kinect will and will not be used for. Nobody know what is in the future for Kinect so lets give it a little time. I for one hope they do headtracking for 3D that was demonstrated in that youtube video. It would be a sweet add on to games like Gears and Halo and I wouldn't have to buy a 3D enabled tv and glasses.

uh....3D headtracking is not the same as a 3D tv, thats like comparing planes to windmills.

I didn't say it was. I'm saying I won't have to buy a new tv just to experience 3D. Watch this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

This guy now works for MS.

I forgot about that Tech, that should be possible with the Kinect's depth sensor! I hope Microsoft is working on this, since Kinect should be able to track your eyes anyway. Or maybe Sony's Move work aswell by sticking to Move controllers to the side of your head lol.(though two led lights like in the video would probably work with the PS Eye aswell).

Anyway it's much better than 3D with shutter glasses.

Yeah that is what I've been talking about. It would work perfect with Kinect. Maybe that is why this guy now works with MS? Lets hope they are working on it and maybe we'll see it at E3? And I just pictured someone holding two Move controllers on both sides of their head, ROFLMAO!

Around the Network

Future of gaming.

Severance said:
tuscaniman said:
Severance said:
tuscaniman said:
Severance said:
tuscaniman said:

Kinect isn't even out yet and everyone has determined what Kinect will and will not be used for. Nobody know what is in the future for Kinect so lets give it a little time. I for one hope they do headtracking for 3D that was demonstrated in that youtube video. It would be a sweet add on to games like Gears and Halo and I wouldn't have to buy a 3D enabled tv and glasses.

uh....3D headtracking is not the same as a 3D tv, thats like comparing planes to windmills.

I didn't say it was. I'm saying I won't have to buy a new tv just to experience 3D. Watch this vid.

that is still not what 3D tvs do >_>;

Sigh I didn't say it was the exact same thing as a 3D tv. If the 3D effect can be produced in games without having to use expensive 3D tvs and equipment then I'm all for it. With headtracking its possible to get the 3D effect. You are saying I'm wrong? Was I watching a fake youtube video? Explain how I don't know what I'm talking about genius.

but the thing is, this is not the 3D effect, its just you moving in 3D space, just like every other 3D game ever created, just with motion sensoring to move this time instead of analog sticks.

3D effect is that the scene itself is rendered in 3D and that.... putting it simply , stuff pops up out of your tv , its Stereoscopy and has nothing to do with head tracking and/or tracking 3D objects.

errr, you are both correct.  there is several factors that go into depth perception.

1. size - all video games already use this regardless of the tech.

2. stereopsis - this is the merging of the two images of your eyes as they are slightly different.  this is the tech in 3D tvs.

3. visual angles - basically as you move around, objects that are far away won't change their visual angle as much as objects that are close to you.  this is what head tracking can accomplish.

1 and 3 both being "monocular" clues btw as in you can judge a certain amount of depth with only one eye  (one image).

so not  the same thing...but not entirely different either.

I don't know what you all are arguing about, but that guy at 0:09 to 0:12 is embarrassingly hilarious. 

i thnk that gta and other games for kinect if done right will be the next greatest thing.all u lazy c0cksuckers who dnt wanna get off ur a$$ to play tough luck. i thought the whole point of a game is to get into another world doing stuff u cant really do in real life. gta smashing windows with ur elbow easily done, running already in kinect sports, and driving. the technology is there and im dieng for the day we see it com out and i thnk everybody will jump on the train soon enough!

Around the Network
blunts2smoke said:

I think that GTA, and other games for Kinect, if done right will be the next greatest thing.All u lazy c0cksuckers who don't want to get off ur a$$ to play, tough luck. I thought the whole point of a game is to get into another world and doing stuff u can't really do in real life. In GTA smashing windows with ur elbow  is easily done, and running is already in kinect sports, and driving.The technology is there and im dieng for the day we see it come out, i think everybody will jump on the train soon enough!

No problem,
 and have fun running around for hours playing GTA, while shooting and jumping and many other things, with kinect.

Smart Men answer questions, Wise men ask questions.
Gamers play games, True Gamers support Gaming

blunts2smoke said:

i thnk that gta and other games for kinect if done right will be the next greatest thing.all u lazy c0cksuckers who dnt wanna get off ur a$$ to play tough luck. i thought the whole point of a game is to get into another world doing stuff u cant really do in real life. gta smashing windows with ur elbow easily done, running already in kinect sports, and driving. the technology is there and im dieng for the day we see it com out and i thnk everybody will jump on the train soon enough!

I'd sooner jump in front of a train, to be honest.

The key phrase in your post is "if done right", which this clearly isn't. Yes, Kinect works for sports games and fitness games and dancing games, and that's all well and good. But it can't be the future of gaming unless there is some way to do what you can't do in real life. Sure, you can smash a window with your elbow using Kinect, but you can do that in real life. What about something like Mirror's Edge? Can you do any of that standing in front of a TV?

Driving as displayed in Kinect Joyride is incredibly primitive. You know what the problem is with shooters and driving games? Firing a gun and driving a car both require the use of buttons. Or rather, a trigger for the former and an accelerator/brake for the latter. If there was an easy way to fire a gun or drive a car sans buttons, we would be using those methods right now.

As for all this about head tracking, are you really going to pay $150 for a device which moves the camera in a TPS? (Not even an FPS, as we can see from this video). That's Sixaxis-level usage, and since Sixaxis is almost universally proclaimed a failure, that is no good thing. Yes, Kinect is used to its full extent in some games. So is the Sixaxis.

There is really only so much you can do with a motion-tracking camera and a few feet of space. You can dance, sure. You can sort of play some sports. Perhaps a puzzler or two. You can't play an RPG, a shooter, a platformer, or indeed, anything else.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

tuscaniman said:
Severance said:
tuscaniman said:

This guy now works for MS.

That is pretty awesome.

PEW PEW PEW! (sorry i literaly couldnt resist posting that) looks kinda cool though

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

I doubt Kinect and FPS are high on MS priority list right now.  The focus for Kinect is clearly new owners/demographics and even augmentation of other titles seems to be very low on their list of things to do as well.

Kinect should be able to support a form of FPS, but on it's own (i.e. without a controller of any kind) it'll clearly never surpass a gamepad for that kind of game.

Assuming all goes well with the launch and initial sales I'd expect sometime in the first half of 2011 we might see some augmentation of titles going on.

But, I don't think MS are going to try and support existing owners (at least initially) in the same way Sony has decided to with Move.  Which isn't a knock on their approach, just noting MS is going full out for new titles/demographics at this point from what I can see.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...