By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardcore gaming might be a bad thing.

indodude said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well if you played or are playing WoW, you definitely wasted your life.

Also, this thread has little to do with being a hardcore gamer. It seems to be more about people who make gaming their sole priority and ignore just about everything else.

People do all sorts of useless crap to pass the time. I'm not sure why gaming is generally the form of entertainment attacked.

You can say that for any other game in existence then.

Much like a movie, TV show, book... I want a game that has a story I enjoy and actually ends. Perhaps even makes me scratch my chin and say, "that was something."

If you play WoW... I'm not sure what you get out of it. Just endless hours of mindless hacking and slashing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
indodude said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Also, this thread has little to do with being a hardcore gamer. It seems to be more about people who make gaming their sole priority and ignore just about everything else.

People do all sorts of useless crap to pass the time. I'm not sure why gaming is generally the form of entertainment attacked.

Much like a movie, TV show, book... I want a game that has a story I enjoy and actually ends. Perhaps even makes me scratch my chin and say, "that was something."

If you play WoW... I'm not sure what you get out of it. Just endless hours of mindless hacking and slashing.

i say you are right, games should teach as something like morals and values, just like movies and films and basically any form of entertainment even comedy teaches us internal happiness 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Mr Puggsly said:
indodude said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Whats the point of Online FPS games then ? do they have a story, do they end?

WoW is a social game mostly, its just fun with others doing random stuff.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

i would also want to point out (this topic has got me going)

that gaming is played by 500 million people, thats around 1/12 of the global population, and in the next 10-20 years it will reach 1 billion easy.

If so many play it then the problems associated would be evident and there would be major global problems, but no there isn't just like alcohol consumed by around 2-4 billion people, and Tv watched by 4 billion people.

There are cases of people taking them too far, but overall there is 500 million gaming addicts that are all anti social loners, nor 2-4 billion alcoholics in the globe or billions of people constantly addicted to TV.

So dont it here and read this and go oh gosh gaming is bad, its not, just my first post on this topic, its about Balance.  

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

While it is not typically mentioned, entertainment is a need for human beings and ranks not that much below food, clothing and shelter in importance. Inevitably, some of this entertainment will be a meaningless waste of time (and/or money) regardless of whether it is reading trashy books, watching mindless television/movies, going out drinking, or playing a video game; and in all these cases, as long as it doesn't prevent you from living a meaningful life there is nothing wrong with it.

When it comes to video games I have noticed that with each successive video game you become addicted to and that addiction is broken the more difficult it is to become addicted to a similar game and the more rapidly that addiction will break. The games where this pattern is best observed are (probably) MMO games because the players who played an early MMO (Everquest, Dark age of Camelot, etc.) and realized how much of a pointless treadmill it was tended to get "burnt out" on World of Warcraft far earlier than those that didn't; and the individuals who never (really) broke their addiction to an early MMO generally just replaced their Everquest addiction with WoW.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

If it's something you enjoy and you don't mind the 15 USD a month, it is a solid investment for such a vast game. It doesn't hurt that it can run on a lot of lower end PCs either.

Not if you get hired by Machinima like Hutch and Seananners.

Snesboy said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If it's something you enjoy and you don't mind the 15 USD a month, it is a solid investment for such a vast game. It doesn't hurt that it can run on a lot of lower end PCs either.

No one is stopping people from enjoying those games. But I think MMOs fans are the ones who will most likely feel they've wasted their life.

Coincidently, the guy who made this video was a WoW fan.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Severance said:

Whats the point of Online FPS games then ? do they have a story, do they end?

WoW is a social game mostly, its just fun with others doing random stuff.

I agree. You don't get much out of playing FPS games online either. But that's more like quick amusement.

On MMOs you spend endless hours doing nothing. I remember spending hours on WoW just doing a single quest or traveling. Lets not even get started on the farming.

Recently Completed

You just need to set up a couple of basic ground rules which limit how much time you actually spend gaming. The gaming isn't a problem, it is how much you're doing it.

Some basic ones could be:

• Limit the money you spend. That way you spend less money and you have fewer games to play so you'll try to play the best ones you can. Also with fewer games you'll have less temptation.
  • Set aside specific times you want to play games and otherwise keep it off limits.
  • Make sure you spend X amount of time doing something productive before you play games. So for instance you can play 5 hours but only if you spend 5 hours studying.

etc.

Tease.