By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Arguments over the 'Colors' in Games

well, it depends on the game's mood, but I do like some color, as well as some shadows.

For example Zelda: Twilight Princess is brown-ish, but also has some beautiful colorful enviorements, which make it great, and maybe why I'm anti-Skyward Art.

But a game like Mario fits much more with colorfull rainbow artstyle

Around the Network

It really all depends on the implementation.   I tend to hate muted grey, brown and yet two of my favorite games of all time (Ico and SotC) live in it and are the most beautiful games i have ever seen.  

I don't understand why they expect a uniformity of opinion on aesthetics.  Some people complain no matter what you do.

colors make a game, thats why shrek forever the game>>>>>> all

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

I prefer my games colourful, but only when it suits the game itself

IMO you can still have colorful and gritty in the same game. A gritty atmosphere can be achieved with a big color palette, and then there are other things that can add to it ( level design, music etc. ).

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
NiKKoM said:

The problem isn't one game.... but when 10 games at the same time are released and are all grey and brown...

This times 100.

That's why borderlands was made CellShaded in the end I believe to make it stand out from all the other post apoplectic game worlds. 

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

It just seems to be getting to the point where brown/grey = "hardcore". It's not a good path for the gaming industry to keep travelling down, imo. :(

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

War is not happy and cherry. Why would you want a serious game like resistance or killzone to look like flower. Thoose games give a dark mood and games like that are great because war is hell. Games like Halo and uncharted are bright and colorful because they want to portray a happier mood with more adventure.

@ CrossX You responded to me the other day saying you didn't like the atmosphere in fallout 3, was that because it was dark, brown and gritty. Basically, you say you like the style for some games and not others or your just tired of people contantly complaining?

I seriously don't get the complaints of killzone. The colors fit the game perfectly. According to the story, Helghan's supposed to be hell... the helghast themselves wouldn't live there but they don't have a choice. It was their back-up planet after they were ran out Vekta by the ISA. Now they're gonna try and make parts of Helghan colorful? Doesn't make sense.

chocoloco said:

War is not happy and cherry. Why would you want a serious game like resistance or killzone to look like flower. Thoose games give a dark mood and games like that are great because war is hell. Games like Halo and uncharted are bright and colorful because they want to portray a happier mood with more adventure.

@ CrossX You responded to me the other day saying you didn't like the atmosphere in fallout 3, was that because it was dark, brown and gritty. Basically, you say you like the style for some games and not others or your just tired of people contantly complaining?

No no I don't like Fallout 3's atmosphere because it's dark and gritty. Otherwise I would've not had enjoyed Killzone 2 or Resistance FOM. I just don't like the 'Post Apocalyptic' Atmosphere, that's all. Yes I understand clearly that the sense of emptiness and post apocalyptic atmosphere of Fallout 3 is essential but that kind of atmosphere just isn't my type of thing.

I have no problem whether the game has color or no color as long as it fits in with the game's mood and atmosphere.

And yeah like you said, I sometimes get tired of people complaining about 'no color' in some games when you think about it, there's a reason why it's all black and brown.