By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Burnout series

RolStoppable said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
i don't think the wii will get paradise. they'll probably make a different game.

The Wii will get Paradise, just like the DS got Legends. We are talking about EA here.

paradise is to late in developement to be ported to wii

Around the Network

I loved the first 2 Burnouts. Acclaim did an amazing job with them. But then Burnout 3 came around, and I was even more impressed. Burnout 3 is easily the best racer ever created as it has a nice mix of competitive racing with added action that really spices up the races.

Then I was so pschyed for Burnout Revenge, until I played it. The game was apsolutely awful, and really it got worse. And it's because they didn't stick with what they did with B3 but went to something that was less Burnout. And now with Burnout Paradise they are drifting even further away from the roots of Burnout 3 and the 2 before it. It's hardly even Burnout anymore. I mean Burnout Paradise could still be good but I wish they'd evolve on Burnout 3, not devolve.

Burnout 3 is boss and 'road rage' is the best mode to play with friends. It's the combination of traffic and insane speeds that makes it so much fun. Looking forward to Paradise.

I have Burnout 2: Director's Cut (B2), Burnout 3 (B3), and Burnout Revenue (BR) for my Xbox.

During the few of months earlier this year that I had Xbox live, I went on line with both B3 and BR.

You could find people playing B3, but almost no one was playing BR. Sometimes, I would be the only person on-line.

Also, it took my less than 35 hours to medal in all 169 events of Burnout Revenue. And I am a terrible gamer. That's what happens when you get over 40.

Burnout 3 is probably the best of the bunch. But I am not skilled enough to fully enjoy it.

The traffic checking in Burnout Revenge took some of the skill out of it.

And since we're talking Burnout here, how different is the original from the second installment. In other words, do I really need to pick it up?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Burnout Revenge for the 360 is my favorite. I personally hate the races and love Crash Mode, takedowns, and road rage. I like that Paradise will allow me to do crash scenarios(now called showtime) anywhere anytime without having to unlike them by doing other events I don't like, I like the sandbox world with no loadtimes because the loadtimes were getting pretty annoying. I also like the sound of Stunt mode. I just really how the showtime mode with accidents retains all the crash goodness, like showing replays of all the damage, and ringing up the bill on all the damage,and letting you blow your car up, but since the word is there now allowing you to keep driving as long as you land on your wheels so the accident and mayhem can continue I doubt you'll have the explosion, unless it kicks in after your immbolized. Anyway the videos of the game have been amazing and the demo will be online next thursday so I can't wait.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I haven't played the first game. I have played Point of Impact on Xbox and GC and it was a pretty cool game, the crash mode was fun. The normal races were incredible fast, but the track design was seriously lacking. There were rarely tight turns and a lot of times you were driving straight for like a mile. However the boost system made it interesting to get high burnout combos even for a complete race.

Takedown was vastly different in that regards, using the boost all the time wasn't possible anymore (because dodging, drifting and the like give you way too less boost, to use it all the time) , so one of the coolest aspects of the series was lost. Due to the rubberhand AI in Burnout games you can't get away from your rivals more than 2 seconds, so there wasn't much to do during the races. You drove along without using the boost, when a CPU showed up, you instantly used the boost to smack the other car into the rails or in the traffic which filled up your boost gauge again. Repeat until race is over, this became boring quickly.

Legends on the PSP was a compilation of tracks from Burnout 1-3, but with the gameplay of 3, so that game wasn't that hot either.

I haven't played Revenge, because simply watching it made it clear that the gameplay was very similar to Takedown, just a little more simplified. Now you could crash into cars going in the same direction as you without actually crashing your own car.

I haven't played Dominator.

Bottom line, of the 3 games I have played (Point of Impact, Takedown, Legends), Burnout 2 is clearly the best one.

Well thanks for all the answers first.

I think what Rol says is how I feel. The thing I absolutely loved in Burnout 2 were the... Burnouts! I loved driving on Big Surf and boosting all the time, having Burnouts x 20 or something. This was what really made the races interesting.

Maybe I'd also like Takedown, but it sounds like that game is lacking the features I liked in Burnout 2, so I can't say I'd like it because I loved Point of Impact. This leaves me a bit spectical with the series.

btw, I did not say I expect Paradise on the Wii, I wouldn't want this anyway, Legends has shown what happens when a game gets dumbed down. I would want a new version.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I played the first Burnout on GC and thought it was decent, then played the second (a lot) and thought it was great. Later, after obtaining an Xbox, I eventually purchased both Takedown and Revenge (and later traded in Revenge in order to pick up the 360 version down the road) and loved both. The World Tour mode that is introduced in Takedown is FAR superior to the single-player design in Burnout 2 and really adds a lot to the game; the sense of speed is once again second to none and the arcade-style racing is pretty much the best of the genre.

If you don't have access to games in the series after the second, I think you should definitely hope for a Wii iteration; the games have typically been of very high quality for fans of the genre (I have no experience with Dominator, however). Hopefully if such a game comes to exist, it will maintain this standard; I'd hate to see a lackluster Wii version of a traditionally great series (and the handheld versions might as well not exist). Hope for the best, rent it if it comes along and see how it turns out.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

^yep world tour for me is the best single player mode in any arcade racing game