By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: Kinect is a bigger 'step forward' than the Wii

Microsoft: Kinect is a bigger 'step forward' than the Wii

It's true 33 12.79%

No it's not 57 22.09%

Kinect has the potential to be the best 21 8.14%

Is this guy serious? 55 21.32%

Let's wait and see 28 10.85%

More trash talk what's new. 64 24.81%

Total:258
Nintendogamer said:

Looks very awkward to play, how would you play FPS? By saying bang bang while holding your hand up like a gun? lol

Has anyone considered that you can do the same thing with Kinect as with Move, use your regular controller with it?

If you hold a 360 controller in your left hand you have easy access to an analog stick, a trigger and the d-pad. Even my eight year old daughter can do this and reach all but the far right side of the d-pad easily and even that with a stretch. If you hold it in your right hand the analog stick is a little to far to be used long term but all four buttons and the trigger are easily accessed.

Not saying this makes it ideal for all games but it does open up a lot of possibilities.

Around the Network
Severance said:
Mr Khan said:
Vanbierk said:

*Sigh*....I highly doubt you've even tried Move based on your bullshit defensive and offensive maneuvers...but please, try it out, Play Sports Champions Frisbee Golf and Gladiator Duel for like 30 minutes, and you'll stop calling it a wii copy...

Frolf?

Gladiator Duel?

hmm...

idk what you are trying to prove here. but i'll tell you that there were games like this on eyetoy on ps2 way before the wii was announced. though they're gimmicky as hell but so is everything new.

I was merely indicating that it's going to look like a copy no matter how you slice it. Time with the product isn't going to help as long as there is an immediately identifiable and much better known alternative

Similar to iPod and Zune, really. Zune advocates could complain all they want that the products' advantages are being ignored or not properly acknowledged, but that's what's doomed to happen

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

billsalias said:
Nintendogamer said:

Looks very awkward to play, how would you play FPS? By saying bang bang while holding your hand up like a gun? lol

Has anyone considered that you can do the same thing with Kinect as with Move, use your regular controller with it?

If you hold a 360 controller in your left hand you have easy access to an analog stick, a trigger and the d-pad. Even my eight year old daughter can do this and reach all but the far right side of the d-pad easily and even that with a stretch. If you hold it in your right hand the analog stick is a little to far to be used long term but all four buttons and the trigger are easily accessed.

Not saying this makes it ideal for all games but it does open up a lot of possibilities.

So this defeats the purpose of being hands-free then if you're holding something.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
billsalias said:
Nintendogamer said:

So this defeats the purpose of being hands-free then if you're holding something.

Who said hands free was the only way to play Kinect? There is no rule that says you cannot use a controller with Kinect just like there is no rule that says you have to use a controller with the eye toy. The two systems have different technology and marketing focuses, Kinect emphasizing controller free and Move emphasizing performance. Despite this focus there is nothing preventing a PS3 game from allowing a player to use controller free gestures in a game and equally a Kinect game from using a controller.

Both systems are optimized for one or the other but both also allow for a hybrid control model and each game should consider the best control model for it's needs. I am not saying that Move and Kinect are the same, there are substantial differences in technology, but denying the possibility of controllers for Kinect games seems either unreasonable or deliberately deceptive in an effort to discredit Kinect.

Around the Network

honestly i think that kinect is a step backwards. mainly because it has core games, a core game with kinect would be terrible, just look at star wars kinect, its on rails, and you can only move your lightsaber.

if kinect didnt have core games i would still consider it a step backward in gaming because i hate everything which has to do just with casuals. but that is just me.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

NiKKoM said:

Kinect... Wii... Move... f*ck them... they are childsplay... compared to:

Yes, give me back the Power Glove.

Bah!

RolStoppable said:

A step forward in the wrong direction. Something that normal people would refer to as "a step backwards", but Molyneux isn't a normal person as we all know.

It's a step forward, but now you can't sit. :/

A step forward, off a cliff maybe! HAW HAW HAW

Following the same footsteps already laid down by the Wii and the Eyetoy shouldn't be called a step forward.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

jarrod said:
RolStoppable said:

A step forward in the wrong direction. Something that normal people would refer to as "a step backwards", but Molyneux isn't a normal person as we all know.

It's a step forward, but now you can't sit. :/

Blasphemy!

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/microsoft-says-our-lazy-asses-can-sit-while-using-kinect-sometimes/

OT: I don't look at it as a step forward, just different technology.

For example, I don't think the Wiimote is better than the joystick. It just allows for more immersive gameplay in certain genres. As does the Kinect.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)