By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - A Question of Post Count and Thread Creation

Something occurred to me while reading the topics today.  I noticed a thread created by someone who had one post.  Nothing out of the ordinary here, I know....but it got me thinking.  Does anyone think it might be a good idea to make a poster have at least 5-10 posts before he/she can use the Create A Thread button.  I think this could encourage more posting and participation from the new members (Much the same way that Editing the Database encourages people to post more regularly).

This thread is what got me thinking about this...

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=11668

It is not that this thread is bad or trolling....but it does seem a bit inflammatory for a "Hi...I'm new....how are you" post.  Many threads that get created like this ar far worse and the poster doesn't even return.  Oftentimes it makes me think that it is a current user that has created another account just to bolster his/her opinion.

My idea wouldn't prevent that...but it could weed out a few bannable users (Hus...Blue....whatever) when they are going on a spamming run.  I've noticed that the mods usually get the spammers by about the 4th or 5th post (or 1st if your the Naz).  So if we made the post count have to be 10 we wouldn't have to deal with overly flaming material appearing on the front page to glorify these clowns.

Ok...long post is over. 

Around the Network

Also, it could prevent past trollers from making a new ID for the sole intent of making a troll thread.

I agree. Ten posts would be a start. Waiting for Sqrl to come in and disagree. :)

Good idea, it would be nice if it could be implemented.

That's a good idea in my opinion.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

Bad idea, i often would sign up for a forum for the sole intent of asking a question. If this was implemented then it would discourage people. When i joined this site i made a topic right away to get a feel of the place and see how things are. IMO maybe a 1 topic limit a day for new accounts.

Excellent idea dude...I would totally back you up with this idea :P

1 topic limit a day sounds a bit better to me...because there are quite a few new users that make a thread as their first post.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )