By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Pokemon hardcore?

Is Pokemon hardcore?

Yes 115 82.14%

No 25 17.86%

Total:140

"Hardcore" and "casual" describe gamers, not games.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure that Pokemon is one of the most hardcore RPGs out there right now.  To put it simply, I actually stopped playing the game by the fourth generation because the game got _too_ complex - for context, I have several Pokedex guides on my bookshelf, used to work out Hidden Power calculations by calculator and paper, have a friend I used to plan teams with, and even know about the Mew glitch in Red/Blue.

I was okay with the hidden effort value training in Generation I, and the hold items, breeding, special attack/defense split and new types added some welcome complexity in Generation II (not to mention the much-needed nerf to Psychic types), but the effort value cap, the personality values and abilities started to overwhelm me by Generation III.  Once the physical/special split happened in Generation IV, the complexity of the game was completely lost on me, and I decided I had to quit.  I haven't read what Generation V brings, but I cringe just thinking of the strategic depth needed to master the game by the Black/White installments.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Look at my sig. You tell me. On top of that, I have 8 level 100s and 3 more pokemon well on the way. And I'm trying to capture one of every type of pokemon.

no because of ashes voice.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good