By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid: Other M ruined gaming's greatest heroine ? Agree or not ?

IxisNaugus said:
mhsillen said:

Frequent cutscens with BAD internal dialog.  That wrecks the flow of the game. And yes she was bad ass.

And having to wait for adam to basically save your life is dumb. I like my imagined Samus then this bad movie samus.

I never once wanted Sakamoto to show a back story.  It is indulgent and adds nothing to the gameplay because I play videogames not want to watch a z-grade movie. If that is what I wanted I would have a PS3

I'll accept that could very well be the case. Of course I am unsure of the degree it messes with the flow of the game, if at all. Don't begrudge me for not taking your word for it, but you believe the game has killed the entire franchise, so there's a good chance you're just angry and over exaggerating things here. I didn't say she wasn't a bad ass, I just said I didn't primarily view her that way. I think Mario is a bad ass, but he's many things before that.

Fine. If that's how you feel.

Yes well unfortunately for you Sakamoto wanted to show a back-story. You are starting to wear on my nerves now, drop the idiotic notion that story adds nothing to gameplay and cut scenes ruin the flow of all games, it's not cool, and do not insinuate that the PS3 only has games with bad stories because now you're borderline trolling. Go outside and let off some steam or something.

You think its idiotic to believe that story adds nothing to gameplay, and that cutscenes ruin the flow of all games? It is 100% understandable to believe that, and the fact that you call it "idiotic" is insulting. You do not have to agree with it, but now you're being borderline offensive. People have a right to feel that way in general about video games. Your opinion is not fact, and yes, the other side isn't either. Please just respect it.

Around the Network

over dramatic. samus as personality was mediocre and dead to me.Shes better now.

Khuutra said:
superchunk said:

No. I am almost finished with the game and while I dislike one part (obvious breakdown) the rest of the game still fits just fine. There is no reason a woman cannot be feminine and a strong warrior at the same time. To state otherwise is really just sexism in my opinion.

I don't think femininity is the problem being discussed, here, but weakness and subservience.

Its not weakness or subservience.

Anyone who has a person as a leader as the story describes Adam is to her would act the same.

1. It states many times he was the closest thing to a father to her.
2. It states he was always viewed as infallible and a great leader to her.
3. It states she felt a big resentment to her childish actions of the past that put her out of his grace.

This all fits perfectly with her actions and decision to follow his command exactly. Sure there are gameplay decisions in the various unlocking of items, but that is just the game. The idea of her following his commands is the story and the overall all logic and that is a perfect fit to how the history is laid out.

The only parts that are misplaced is the breakdown with Ridley. That was truly out of character and should at least have been put after Ridley killed her closest friend as a emotional gesture.

There is nothing else in her demeanor, performance, or story characterization that cannot be part of a woman worrior that is Samus. I think too many people expect a butch badass with a rough and tough voice/balls to the wall gunner. To me that idea fo Samus is sterotypical when woman are portrayed as the soldier and I prefer this version (less the breakdown).

You guys are being way too dramatic just like the samus you're talking about it, ... It's not like bad cutscenes haven't occured on nintendo franchises before... here's a sample from the 3Di Zelda's. Sorry it's in 3D and will hurt your eyes... The cutscenes in the other M aren't near as bad... or near as hilarious as this.

superchunk said:
Khuutra said:
superchunk said:

No. I am almost finished with the game and while I dislike one part (obvious breakdown) the rest of the game still fits just fine. There is no reason a woman cannot be feminine and a strong warrior at the same time. To state otherwise is really just sexism in my opinion.

I don't think femininity is the problem being discussed, here, but weakness and subservience.

Anyone who has a person as a leader as the story describes Adam is to her would act the same.

3. It states she felt a big resentment to her childish actions of the past that put her out of his grace.

This all fits perfectly with her actions and decision to follow his command exactly. Sure there are gameplay decisions in the various unlocking of items, but that is just the game. The idea of her following his commands is the story and the overall all logic and that is a perfect fit to how the history is laid out.

The only parts that are misplaced is the breakdown with Ridley. That was truly out of character and should at least have been put after Ridley killed her closest friend as a emotional gesture.

There is nothing else in her demeanor, performance, or story characterization that cannot be part of a woman worrior that is Samus. I think too many people expect a butch badass with a rough and tough voice/balls to the wall gunner. To me that idea fo Samus is sterotypical when woman are portrayed as the soldier and I prefer this version (less the breakdown).

I would just say it has more to do with military protocol. When you're executing a mission you trust in your CO, you don't talk back, and you don't do things without the commander saying so. There's no point in Samus arguing with the soldiers or Adam because it would be an act of petulant bullheadedness that doesn't solve anything

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
superchunk said:

It's weakness and subservience that would have been in place in a male character in this case. Maybe not expressed in entirely the same way, but her desire to prove herself to her former CO by showing how she can follow orders isn't farfetch'd.

d21lewis expressed it well at one point, suggesting that it was just like running into those people you knew in high school, a world you left long ago, but you still want to impress them. Hell, it's the entire mentality behind high school reunions in the first place. In her case she wanted to prove she had matured by showing that she could be a team player

You're casting subservience in a negative light, here. Now we could debate about whether it was a good idea to present that into the plot at all, but on taking the work as it is, subservience isn't a negative factor

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

superchunk said:

1. Actually, that's almost exactly what subservience is: following orders, particularly with someone who has no actual authority over you.

2. Samus objected to his orders many times and left because she disagreed with him. He was not infallible to her. This creates the problem that she feels like she owes him something because later in life she's decided she's wrong for having disagreed, even if disagreeing was the only moral thing to do from her eprspective. This portrays her as inherently subservient to his wishes and given to filial piety in a way that is problematic in the context of prior portrayals of her character.

3. Being out of his grace should have jack diddly shit to do with how she behaves when it comes time to kill shit.

4. You think it makes sense that she wouldn't activate the Varia Suit when she's going through a volcano area? Or that it makes sense that she wouldn't activate the Gravity Suit when going through an area with intensely harmful gravitational fluctuations, which makes it much more difficult for her to fight? You think it makes sense that she would hold back on using the ice beam when her power beam isn't hurting creatures made out of fire? That doesn't make sense, and if taken in the context of the story it means that she isn't just subservient to Adam, she's completely subsumed her will in favor of his own. Tha'ts not just problematic, it's fucking horrific. That's some Stepford Wives-level shit right there.

5. The way the history is laid out is not in keeping with past portrayal of Samus's character, Samus's relationship with the Galactic Federation, or even Samus's relationship with Adam as portrayed in Fusion.

6. Samus's breakdown made perfect sense in the context of this game, which speaks more to how horrendous the context of this game is in terms of her characterization.

7. There is nothing inherently wrong with a female character who is presented as a blank emotional slate, especially when the few hints we get about her suggest that even though she is a human with human sorrows and regrets she is still an unstoppable bad-ass bounty hunter who wipes out entire species and blows up planets on a regular basis.

There is no defensible position from which you can expect people to find this characterization in keeping with her character as we've come to know here, and there is no defensible position from which you can expect people to not find this characterization problematic from a femininist perspective.

Mr Khan said:
Khuutra said:
superchunk said:

It's weakness and subservience that would have been in place in a male character in this case. Maybe not expressed in entirely the same way, but her desire to prove herself to her former CO by showing how she can follow orders isn't farfetch'd.

d21lewis expressed it well at one point, suggesting that it was just like running into those people you knew in high school, a world you left long ago, but you still want to impress them. Hell, it's the entire mentality behind high school reunions in the first place. In her case she wanted to prove she had matured by showing that she could be a team player

You're casting subservience in a negative light, here. Now we could debate about whether it was a good idea to present that into the plot at all, but on taking the work as it is, subservience isn't a negative factor

You will have to adress the points I made in replying to superchunk, because damned if I'm typing that out again in a different way

Ign made a article about it ... so its confirmed that this bla bla bla about samus not being cool as she was is BULLSHIE* BEARSHI* DRAGONSHIE* and most of all IGNSHIE* 

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

I think shepard and samus should get married. they'd be a cute couple