By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario: 2D Vs. 3D

What do you like more? The 2D Mario games, or the 3D Mario games?

2D

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
New Super Mario Bros.

Vs.

3D

Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy

Wow... I do not know what to choose... All the Mario games are so revolutionary to the platform genre... They are all masterpieces, from Shigeru Miyamoto. But, I may have to give the upper hand to the 3D Mario games, but only because the 3D worlds bring so much more that 2D cannot. You spherically in 3D, instead of a compass-direction, found in 2D. Does that make sense? Anyways, I think that the 3D Mario games are marginally funner than the 2D ones, but I definitely like them all.

What do you think?

Around the Network

Super Mario 64 DS is missing, plus Yoshi's Island is technically SMW2.
Also you forgot the terrible 2D Mario games.

You know, I'm just going to blaspheme a bit and say I never really liked the original 2D Mario games. I was never really any good at them. I was also a Sega fanboy =)

I'll go with the 3D mario.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Hmmm.

I'd say 2D. They're a lot simplier and more fun.

However, Galaxy is my favorite Mario. I love it's gameplay style & mechanics. (Like 2D Mario translated into 3D)

I really dislike the other two 3D Mario games though....so I'd have to say I prefer 2D.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

All of them. I think Nintendo worked real hard to keep the formula intact in 3D, so the spirit is really the same.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
Around the Network

I love all of them. But especially the 3D.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

2-D, by a small margin.

I played Super Mario World and Super Mario Allstars my entire childhood, it was what got me into gaming. But the 3D-Mario games are one of the greatest gaming experiences I have.

But 2-D by a veeery small margin.

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

i would usually say 2d, but SMG poops on every 2d mario game.
3d for me :)

2D. I've played NSMB on my DS far more than I ever played SMS. Granted, I haven't played Galaxy yet, but 3D Mario has been about playing the same handful of levels in different ways, whereas 2D Mario is about playing beating unique levels once, and going back maybe to find some secrets. I actually thing NSMB will end up outselling SMG when both games lifetimes are over.