By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prelim PS MOVE Sales IN! (140K Worldwide)!! Are you pleased?!!

Prelim PS MOVE Sales IN! (140K Worldwide)!! Are you pleased?!!

AMAZING SALES 161 23.27%

BOOO! 119 17.20%

MEH! 412 59.54%

Total:692
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:

So it all comes down to preference? There's no way to measure quality in videogames?

Never said there was no way to measure quality in videogame.  Never.  But quality is never measured by popularity.

So tell me... how do we measure quality in videogames?

So tell me... How is something the most popular/that sold the most automatically means it of top quality.

i guess you dont have an answer.

In my opinion, if X products offers what I'm looking for, that's what I call a quality product. If X product offers what people like in the market, better than Y product, it's a better product in my eyes.

Good quality (imo) means is a product that offers me what i'm looking for and what I really like, for the right price.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

If sales doesn't show quality in games, then what does? I challenge anyone to answer this. Every time I ask this, nobody answers, and it makes me sad :(

Is it reviews? All reviews are different, and just representative of one person's opinion.

Is it fun factor? This is relative, as some people find games a blast while others find the same game boring.

Is it graphics? LOL

The real issue here is what kind of games you want and like to play, and how much are you willing to pay for those games relative to the market.  If you have to follow something just because its popular, you're either sheep, insecure, or just plain misinformed.  Do you judge games by what's popular, or do you judge games by what you want and like?  What if you come across a game that you throughly enjoyed and would recommend to a friend to only find that sales of that game were dismal?  Or what if you tried a game that just reached the #1 spot only to fine you enjoyed a game you played just a couple of weeks ago that never made it to the top 5?  Are you going to change your opinion just because it didn't accomplish "as high sales" as anothet title?  is that how you base your enjoyment?

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:

So it all comes down to preference? There's no way to measure quality in videogames?

Never said there was no way to measure quality in videogame.  Never.  But quality is never measured by popularity.

So tell me... How is something the most popular/that sold the most automatically means it of top quality.

In my opinion, if X products offers what I'm looking for, that's what I call a quality product. If X product offers what people like in the market, better than Y product, it's a better product in my eyes.

Good quality (imo) means is a product that offers me what i'm looking for and what I really like, for the right price.

So you say you'll go with a game because it's popular/top selling, not because it fits your gaming needs/wants, right?  Can you answer my question?

Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:

And again, no answer. What a cop out :P

In regards to your question: Because if a game is of poor quality, it will not sell, or it may sell initially, but will drop off fast. People are spending their hard earned money on a product, and they will not spend it on something if it's bad. If it's good and something they want, they will buy it. This should be a simple concept..

You are essentially arguing that people knowingly buy crap and things they don't like. Do you really think that's true?

I may think Carnival Games is garbage (I do actually), but lots of people are buying it, so it is obviously pleasing some people. So who am I to say these people are wrong?

Jordahn said:
Metallicube said:

If sales doesn't show quality in games, then what does? I challenge anyone to answer this. Every time I ask this, nobody answers, and it makes me sad :(

Is it reviews? All reviews are different, and just representative of one person's opinion.

Is it fun factor? This is relative, as some people find games a blast while others find the same game boring.

Is it graphics? LOL

The real issue here is what kind of games you want and like to play, and how much are you willing to pay for those games relative to the market.  If you have to follow something just because its popular, you're either sheep, insecure, or just plain misinformed.  Do you judge games by what's popular, or do you judge games by what you want and like?  What if you come across a game that you throughly enjoyed and would recommend to a friend to only find that sales of that game were dismal?  Or what if you tried a game that just reached the #1 spot only to fine you enjoyed a game you played just a couple of weeks ago that never made it to the top 5?  Are you going to change your opinion just because it didn't accomplish "as high sales" as anothet title?  is that how you base your enjoyment?

Who said I follow what's popular? Many of my favorite games recieved piss poor sales.

But that is not the point I'm trying to make. We obviously all have different views on what quality is. I'm certainly not saying you or I should like a game that is popular. I'm simply saying the only way to truly measure quality from a UNIVERSAL standpoint (if there is any) is to see how many people buy a game, because it shows that the particular game is pleasing the most people.

For my mind, there is no other unbiased, universal way to judge quality, and nobody has given me an alternative answer that holds up.

Around the Network
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:

So you say you'll go with a game because it's popular/top selling, not because it fits your gaming needs/wants, right?  Can you answer my question?

No... I just said. A quality game for me is the one that offers me what I'm looking for. And that's the same for the other people that buys games. So i guess if 20 million people chose Mario Kart for example, is a good quality game. It satisfied the needs of more than 20 million people....

Metallicube said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:

And again, no answer. What a cop out :P

In regards to your question: Because if a game is of poor quality, it will not sell, or it may sell initially, but will drop off fast. People are spending their hard earned money on a product, and they will not spend it on something if it's bad. If it's good and something they want, they will buy it. This should be a simple concept..

You are essentially arguing that people knowingly buy crap and things they don't like. Do you really think that's true?

I may think Carnival Games is garbage (I do actually), but lots of people are buying it, so it is obviously pleasing some people. So who am I to say these people are wrong?

Anwsers can be in the form of questions to make the the asker think.  So if the the original asker cannot answer the question that was the answer, than it's a sign that the asker is missing the point entirely.

Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Jordahn said:
Maynard_Tool said:

No... I just said. A quality game for me is the one that offers me what I'm looking for. And that's the same for the other people that buys games. So i guess if 20 million people chose Mario Kart for example, is a good quality game. It satisfied the needs of more than 20 million people....

You're saying it satisfied them at the point of purchase?  That's when the sale goes through (your unit of measurement)...not after they've played it for a month and came to a decision.  I've bought many games that I hated and definitely didn't think we're quality...but since I bought them, they became quality, apparently.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

So apparantly there's no way of measuring quality.

I'll stick to what I believe is quality then...

Sales = Quality is just not true at all, objectively even it's just false

Sales are inflated by advertising, brand name and so many other factors

5 million people buy Game A, 100,000 buy its sequel
4 million people buy Game B, 3.5 million buy its sequel

If we take the simple the better selling game is better approach then Game A is the higher quality game but if we look at its sequel's sales that could show that a large number of the people who bought it weren't happy with it

Maybe in a world where everything was equal as in each game got equal marketing, no game had any form of brand name to back it up etc we could say sales = quality

In the real world quality is a part of sales, but it is not sales, higher quality = higher sales but not exactly in proportion to each other