By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My Reasonable Move Impressions

I've seen a few threads with people asking for impressions on the Move so I figured I'd give a few.

As background I had a PS3 plus EyeToy so my purchase consisted of 2 Move Controllers plus 1 sub-controller plus Sports Champions.  I also downloaded pretty much every Move demo and gave them a whirl, too.  I also have a Wii, so for those interested I'll give my initial comparision impressions as well.

Move Itself

User experience

Very good.  The Move feels very comfortable to hold and use, the buttons, etc. seem pretty well placed and it is in no way intimidating to use.  The glowing ord, while distracting at first, mainly becuase it's so eye catching in a cool way (IMO), soon becomes just a part of the experience.

Wii comparison.  Move actually feels more comfortable than the Wii Mote to me.  However, it should be noted that Move doesn't also have to double as a regular controller you hold sideways to play Super Mario Bros.  Move is for holding as a wand only and clearly Sony took advantage of this in its more rounded, hand sculpted design.

Overall, the design is good, mimiking what the Wii proved works so well while taking cunning advantage of the Wii's controls needing to cover a style of playing that the Dualshock handles on PS3.  The nunchuck though I think is slightly more comfortable to hold than the sub-controller, but it's a close run thing and the sub-controller kind of balances that out by not having to be attached to the Move, giving a far greater sense of freedom of movement without a wire linking anything.

Accuracy & Tech

Very good.  Lag is perfectly acceptable and no more than any controller from my experience so far (although a few titles were a little more laggy this was clearly the game code and not the tech itself).  It replicates movements very well and is very responsive.  In particular flicks of the wrist and movement back and forth and sideswipes are really well handled.

The use of 2 controllers really adds something interesting I think.  So far this is based on Sports Champions Archery and Gladitors, but it really is quite immersive to reach back and pull out an arrow and notch it and draw back in the way you can with 2 controllers.

Wii comparison.  Move is definately more accurate than Wii even with Motion Plus, which I also have, however at this point its accuracy is not overly evident from many of the launch titles.  Table Tennis and Tumble so far for me have been the highlights in terms of getting to see/feel how accurate the tech can be.  Both allow for very specific, detailed movements and playing them really does feel 1:1. 

Overall, the tech delivers on the promise.  It can be extremely accurate and at the same time, via the software, the accuracy can be dialed back where necessary.  Just because the tech can support 1:1 (or as close as you'll get when all controllers must have some lag) doesn't mean you want it for everything of course.

Games (the really important bit)

Well, as ever we're talking the usual mixed bag of launch titles here, and in particular titles that will clearly be divisive.  For example I really didn't find Kung Fu rider fun, while my youngest son thought it was a hoot of the highest order.  But, there's just enough to give early Move adopters something worthwhile until the library expands, at least IMHO.

Sports Champions (Full Game)

The obvious start point and a clear copy of the Wii Sports approach.

Six games, and which people like most will almost certainly differ.  I'd argue that technically, ignoring personal preference as much as possible, Archery, Table Tennis and Gladitor are the real standouts, offering a strong motion control experience and a real look at the accuracy and feel of the tech.  Volleyball my kid loves but unless I'm missing something it doesn't massively use the tech that well apart from angle of strike.  Mostly you just waggle at the right moment.

Table Tennis though is good and deep.  I found I had much, much more control of the bat than with Wii Sports & Sports Resort.  Also, the physics felt better and in particular I never had the same issue I have with Wii with a motion to change my stance being picked up as a swing of the bat.  With Move, the bat moved when I wanted it too, and only the swing timed to the ball counted - i.e. I could twist turn the bat happily even with the ball coming at me and still return it by quickly reacting exactly as I would in real life.

Archery and Gladiator I found a little less compelling as games (so far) but they also use the tech well and offer an interesting experience.

Bocce and Golf Disc are fine but neither really gripped me and while the used the tech well they just didn't feel as fun.  But I've seen others post how Golf Disc is the best of the bunch, so clearly opinions will differ.

Overall - a decent launch title and not to harsh on the pockets vs a full price title.  Certainly it gives plenty to do with Move at this point, particularly if you have 2 controllers for some titles and to use competitively.

Start the Party (Demo - forced purchase by my kids but I'm gonna make them wait)

I groan at titles like this, but my sons want the game NOW and had a ball with it and I will admit the key USP, augmented reality, works really, really well.  I was impressed, on a technical level, with how smoothly my Move was replaced on-screen with a raquet which follwed my every twist and flick of the wrist.

Needless to say the games are short, frenetic and fun enough in a group coupled with the augmented reality trick to be a lot of fun... if you're the right age, like this kind of thing or drink enough.  Others probably need not apply for the experience.  I can see I'll have to plump for the full title so I just hope you can turn of the "humerous" commentator.

Overall - a decent launch title and again cheap enough.  It does show that the augmented reality works, though, and again the tech's abilities shine through despite the shallow, family orientated gameplay.

Tumble (Demo - soon to be full title)

Now, I like stuff like Tumble in real life, so clearly I like the game anyway.  If a mix of Boom Blox and tower building doesn't float your boat you might not agree with me clearly.

But.. it really shows of the Move tech.  I was surprised how quickly I found myself minutely positioning blocks as though really holding them, the sense of 1:1 and control was really strong, and TBH better than anything I've yet felt with Wii titles.  I just wish there had been an option to use 2 controllers to mimic using 2 hands and allow for much more complex interactions, but clearly with a few exceptions Sony have steered most titles towards 1 Move controller with 2 being used more as a bonus here and there at this point.  I'd love to see a full 2 controller title though, but anway, back to Tumble...

Overall - a very good early PSN title I'd say.  Okay price, fun to play and a great showcase of the tech.  Ideal really.  I'd say the reviewers giving 8/10 or around that are spot on.  The lower scores just don't add up for me even just based on the demo and the price point of the title.

The Shoot (demo - and I wouldn't personally invest further)

Okay fun but can't see it as a single title from the demo.  Really, it feels like one of say 10 mini-games you'd expect within a single game, not a fully fledged game in its own right.  I'll wait for reviews and more detail, but based on the demo this feels like a mini-game trying to be a full game and not making it.

Overall - mild fun (your opinion may vary) but shallow and while it shows nice accuracy with the Move it just doesn't feel like a full game.

Kung Fu Rider (Demo - and I wouldn't personally invest further)

Can I have some drugs too, please?  Yup, one of those titles... the ones where you're sure drug taking played a part in the design process.  It's a crazy idea and it'll either appeal or not by the individual.  What I'll say is that it felt a little less responsive in some areas than the other titles, and a little more frustrating to play as a result.  I can't actually remember if this is PSN or retail but if retail then like The Shoot I can't imagine buying this full price.  Again, it feels like one mini-game from something like Raving Rabbids (is that the spelling?) than an entire title on its own.

Overall - awful, mildy fun or hilarious so basically impossible to categorise.  It's wacky, feels rougher round the edges and I hope its a PSN title because it sure shouldn't be a retail full price one.

Echochrome 2 (demo - I'll probably buy)

Ah, now again I have some bias here because I like games like this... so I'll just say I felt it was responsive and showed again how good the Move tech is.  Personally I loved the shadow manipulation show in the demo

Overall - a bit of a niche title, but it's different, interesting and fun (if you like that sort of thing) and again uses the Move well to deliver it's experience.

Best Sketcher (demo - maybe purchse... mainly because I seem to be a sucker for anything set to a beat mechanic)

What can I say?  It felt like a minigame, which just about makes it a PSN title, the concept either appeals or doesn't but technically, it does show very good precision painting just where you want it to by following your movements.

Overall - small, niche title.  Certainly clears up that Move pointing is very, very accurate.

Summary

It works!  And very well.  Move technically outperforms the Wii just from the launch titles.  But so what?  Games will decide whether that means anything more than "mine is more accurate than yours".

Strong points: HD graphics are nice, even if the launch titles are a bit uneven in that regard, the experience is good and certainly comparable to the Wii, it'll clearly support more than just party/casual titles and with better accuracy and HD graphics stands a far better chance of getting the supposed 'hardcore' gamer using it than the Wii has managed so far.  Early titles have some decent points and with RE5:Gold and the Heavy Rain patches plus R.U.S.E already out it'll be covering a fairly broad set of genres pretty quickly.  Sorcery looks good as does Socom and of course there's going to be the optional support of Killzone 3 amongst others.  In short, soon enough Move will have a very diverse and broad library.

Weak points: at this point I'd say two things, price, particularly if you don't have a PS3 or want the fuller experience (i.e. another Move controller and probably a sub-controller, too) and of course being new it only has a relatively small library of titles.  This should change soon, but certainly with Move you can probably afford to wait to buy if nothing so far grabs you.

Differences to Wii: well, I'd be willing to bet based on my experiences already Move can offer pretty much everything Wii can and in some cases better where accuracy really comes into play.  It also offers HD graphics and - probably- more chance of strong support across less casual genres.  To be fair to the Wii it can support those genres, too, but it's clear that for whatever reason it just hasn't been taken up much.

Differences to Kinect: how should I know?  It's not out yet!  So let's save that discussion until then shall we?

EDIT : 2 things...

1, I don't like Eyepet but my son does and for those who want to know it's much better with Move IMHO.

2, When comparing to the Wii I'm focusing on the tech and general capabilities/possibilities.  Clearly, if you want to play Super Mario Galaxy and the like you're going to need a Wii whatever.  There will be no HD version on the PS3 I suspect.  But, generally speaking, if you look outside the core Nintendo titles, the PS3 for sure can now offer everything the Wii does plus more - if by more you see HD graphics, better accuracy, Blu Ray , etc. as things that interest you.  If not then clearly it just offers the same experience (so far) with sharper graphics.  Personally, I still like my Wii and for sure want it for Nintendo titles anyway - so I'm not saying Move on PS3 now means I can throw it in the bin.  What I am saying is that, Nintendo titles aside, with Move there is now no technical difference between the two.  Yes, the PS3 can now have motion control Raving Rabbids, too (spelling?  ah, who cares!).  Thanks Ubi, you know you're going to!

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

great summary, i can wholeheartedly agree with.

...but you forgot to mention Flight Control HD, the Move game i spent the most time with so far, it's terribly addictive

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I cant believe you put so much effort into preparing such a long report!

Am thinking of getting Move  but not sure how much Ill  enjoy it. I also have the PS Eye and use it with singstar and some games such as the trials of topoq bit it doesnt happen often. It sure was fun for my sisters kids.

How good is the sports champions? Does it have a lasting appeal?

I am interested in getting one but I am probably going to hold off getting one until next year.

Move is already released? When, like yesterday?

Around the Network

Good honest review.

I tend to agree that the games will Make or Break Move.

Cypher1980 said:

Good honest review.

I tend to agree that the games will Make or Break Move.

There's 3 aspects to this:

1. Will it have AA / AAA games supporting it?

We already know the answer to that: Yes KZ3 will support it, I expect Resistance 3 will support it, I'm picking Sorcery will be a AA game, RE5 Gold edition is another, LBP1 and 2, and of course the first AA game to support Move is Heavy Rain. Then there's the A titles like R.U.S.E and MAG.

2. Will Move work well on AA and AAA games?

There's some indication that people are liking how Move improves the experience of AA / AAA games. There's pre-releasse experience of Heavy Rain with Move. And it seems Socom 4 Move gameplay works well. But there hasn't been widespread use in these games yet, so this question can't be answered yet. One issue may be that using Move for the hardcore games might be fun for a while, but not for 2, 3, 4 hours straight.

3. Knowing 1. and assuming 2. is the implementation on AA/AAA going to be that much better and compelling that hardcore gamers are going to adopt Move for a number of AA/AAA titles?

Hard to know with this. There are some people on this site who are looking forward to using Move with hardcore games, there's others who will stick with DS3 and not give Move a 2nd look for hardcore titles.

For a gaming household with PS3 and with kids under 12 I think Move is gonna be a highly likely purchase despite what the adults think of motion control. Though with Wii also in the house the hardcore gamer (which lets face it is likely to either be the Dad or the teenage older brother) may resist Move for PS3 and insist that the Wii provides all the motion control goodness the family needs and PS3 can stay a DS3 only system.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

well that was the most reasonable review i actually have seen

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Thanks, really good review and appears very balanced. This has helped me to decide to get one, that and the fact i've found it in Tesco for £28 for a controller, so i'll probably get two and play with a few demos.

thanks.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Two things;

1) the battery- how long did it last? how long does it take to recharge?

2) I'm surprised that when you compared Move to Wiimote you didn't mention one other feature PS3 offers that the Wii really lacks, Online Gaming. I dunno If any of the current Move titles support it, but I'm sure most of the later titles will. Casuals who don't have someone to play against locally (friends live to far away or are at work/school, family members are away,etc) should be made aware of this feature. Sony would do very well to point out one of Nintendo's biggest weakspots and try to capitilize on it.