By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Resident Evil 3DS visual effects capabilities REVEALED screenshots inside!

All new screenshots I found over at Nintendo Everything: http://www.nintendoeverything.com/50136/

The link shows a graphical comparison between two screenshots, one with the effect and one without (top image = no effect)

- MT Framework Mobile being used for Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D
- Jun Takeuchi couldn’t believe the results they were getting at first
- Resident Evil: Revelations uses common rendering techniques on the PS3/360
- This includes HDR rendering, surface shaders, normal maps, depth of filed, gamma correction
- Motion blur apparently isn’t compatible with 3D
- Motion blur only used in 2D mode
- Up to 2xAA in 2D mode
- Anti-aliasing off in 3D mode
- Graphical comparisons (top image doesn’t have the effect)

I'm impressed by the look of this game as well as the capabilities of the 3DS in general, especially for a handheld, and even more so for a Nintendo system :p

some examples:

Left without HDR, right with HDR:

Normal maps:

Surface shaders, self shadowing:

Around the Network

why is it going to look better in 2d? it defeats the purpose!

Trentonater said:

It’s to be expected. Like how HD consoles can do a whole bunch of visual effects in 720p but if they wanted to make a game in 1080p, it would need to have some of the effects removed/less polygons..etc

you need TWICE the output resolution (width)in 3D than you would otherwise need in 2D, so it makes sense

“800×240 top (effectively 400×240 per eye)” – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS – see chart

miz1q2w3e said:
Trentonater said:

It’s to be expected. Like how HD consoles can do a whole bunch of visual effects in 720p but if they wanted to make a game in 1080p, it would need to have some of the effects removed/less polygons..etc

you need TWICE the output resolution (width)in 3D than you would otherwise need in 2D, so it makes sense

“800×240 top (effectively 400×240 per eye)” – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS – see chart

they didn't need it to be 3d. this looks to be a more hardcore handheld though 

Trentonater said:

they didn't need it to be 3d. this looks to be a more hardcore handheld though 

Glasses-free 3D is arguably the main attraction for the 3DS so I think games would want to support that

But you don't have to enable 3D all the time if you don't want, i love that option the most :)

and yeah, I agree, itseems like it'll really attract an even broader demographic than the DS did. Looks like it'll truly have a lot to offer for everybody

Around the Network

wait a sec wasnt Resident Evil: Revelations the resident evil game annonced for the psp?

Damn, I dont really understand everything (tecnically speaking) but fuuuuck, the 3DS looks so sweeeeet. Cant wait to get my own =3

This has to be one the the biggest graphical leaps from one console to the next.  I'm not a hand held fan but I'm really thinking of trying the 3DS out.

-Newcloud- said:

wait a sec wasnt Resident Evil: Revelations the resident evil game annonced for the psp?

nope, what gave you that idea?

Maynard_Tool said:

Damn, I dont really understand everything (tecnically speaking) but fuuuuck, the 3DS looks so sweeeeet. Cant wait to get my own =3

way to make me feel like a super tech geek lol, i understood all of it XD