By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Laws of Physics Vary Throughout the Universe

miz1q2w3e said:
Kasz216 said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Soleron said:
miz1q2w3e said:

earthshattering discoveries indeed happen everyday

i mean one would assume that the laws of physics would be universal, there's a conflict in my brain now >_<

All the 'laws' mean is that if we do an experiment today, and come back tomorrow and do it again, the results will be exactly the same.

If you think about it, there's no reason that has to be true. It's just that up until now (potentially) we've assumed that it is.

yeah but isn't everything in the universe made up of the same particles? == same laws...etc, where would the difference come from?

I guess that was the biggest assumption being made from the start, that everything was made from the same stuff... curiosity level up!

Actually, if I'm correct the most likely given explination at current would be that they are the same particles, but that different universes overlap with our own that we can't see or detect but effect our universe in many ways.

makes sense, like the nonuniform other universe matter distribution causes some effect that manifests itself as different values for different points in space

I won't even try to pretend that i fully understand exactly what alpha..etc is, i just think it's interesting i used to read about stuff like this

Well, nobody fully understands it.  It's why sceince is looking into this shit anyway.  Heck, if true it's probably all happening for some yet unknown reason nobody has thought up yet.

Given infinite time, I'd be surprised if we could actually figure out the universe.  Not sure man is up to snuff either mentally or just sensory wise.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Kasz216 said:

If correct it could "shrink" the cage so to speak... though expand the universe.  Not that'd matter since alpha would be either too small or two large to be of any use to us outside of the "sweet spot" we're in.

cage?

Well if Physics is different in different parts of the universe, that likely means there are parts of the universe where atom's bonds don't hold... and just all kinds of other problems before you even get that far.

wow, that's weird to think about, different bonds = different atoms/properties/behaviour. cool! :p

Kasz216 said:

Well, nobody fully understands it.  It's why sceince is looking into this shit anyway.  Heck, if true it's probably all happening for some yet unknown reason nobody has thought up yet.

Given infinite time, I'd be surprised if we could actually figure out the universe.  Not sure man is up to snuff either mentally or just sensory wise.

Me too >_>

@ bolded: sad but most likely true

Soleron said:
miz1q2w3e said:

earthshattering discoveries indeed happen everyday

i mean one would assume that the laws of physics would be universal, there's a conflict in my brain now >_<

All the 'laws' mean is that if we do an experiment today, and come back tomorrow and do it again, the results will be exactly the same.

If you think about it, there's no reason that has to be true. It's just that up until now (potentially) we've assumed that it is.

They say being insane means doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to get different results.

I mean, we all know deep down that the universe is insane, but it really sucks when the world just comes out and admits that it's loopy batshit crazy.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Can anyone please explain this in lamen's terms plz?

Around the Network

I can confirm that different galaxies have differentiating Laws of Physics.

I say this with 100% certainty, which was found through all of my intensive research in this field. I graduated at the top of my class with a 242-star honors from SMG University, where I graduated with a Masters in the field of astro-physics and world-saving badassery.

Soleron said:

- It's one paper
- That hasn't been peer reviewed
- And this claim has been made several times before to no result

I'm sure this is serious research, but for something this big it needs A LOT of checking before you can even consider it. As in high school science classes, this could easily be systematic or random errors from instrument faults. It's not like we can travel to those galaxies and check.

So, Khuutra, calm down. If it's still true in 3 months then by all means freak out. It also means I'm in a job because I'm going to start a Physics degree soon (at Cambridge; maybe I'll meet those researchers) with the intention of going into research. New stuff we can't explain well is exciting.

Always knew your were smart!

Well. Lets wait till its been peer reviewed. However if its true, it'll revolutionise the way we see the universe.

FaRmLaNd said:

Well. Lets wait till its been peer reviewed. However if its true, it'll revolutionise the way we see the universe.

True or not the peer review process will rip the shit out of it.

There aren't Scientific revolutions so much as evolutions.  Waiting for the old guard to die out.  The whole "scientists only goal is to find the truth is right and right bull for most of them.  It's about them being right.

I'd be shocked if said viewpoint has advanced enough.

Kasz216 said:
FaRmLaNd said:

True or not the peer review process will rip the shit out of it.

There aren't Scientific revolutions so much as evolutions.  Waiting for the old guard to die out.  The whole "scientists only goal is to find the truth is right and right bull for most of them.  It's about them being right.

I'd be shocked if said viewpoint has advanced enough.

Reading this made me sad. In afterthought, however, it makes sense. We are still humans, bound by our desires.