By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The next price drop for 360

Core 250
Prem 320
Elite 399

Around the Network

I think the next price drop will happen around the GTA4 launch.
Elite: $399.99
Premium: $299.99
Arcade: $249.99

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music

I hope for their sake that it's more significant than the last one... :-p

By GTA4, I expect:

250 Arcade
325 Premium (I'd say 300, but I think MS would like some profit for a little longer)
400 Elite

Getting to 250 Arcade will help them rope casuals away from the Wii. A 100 dollar price difference will rope everyone away from the PS3. Sony would be forced into insanity trying to justify another price cut on the PS3. Nintendo wouldn't be as pressured, except they are still struggling to meet demand. Any unfulfilled Wii customer could become a 360 customer for no extra cost.

Having the Elite for 400 would nicely tie in with "hardcore" gamers who need the real gaming console. At that point it's the Bluray player vs XBox's library.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I'd say pre-GTAIV as it's their best chance to keep momentum and ww sales > PS3 in '08. If 360 becomes the GTA console that'll be huge for them. After than, only as/if necessary to stay below PS3 prices.

I expect Sony would anticipate this and have some very attractive bundles at the time so more pressure on MS to do so.

Around the Network

price cut just the week before GTA 4...50$ on Arcade (229$) and Premium (299$) and 70$ to 100$ on Elite (379$-349$)

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

i agree, price cut when GTA IV comes out

I reckon they'll stick with small price cuts. Probably one in the new year before GTA.

If they have a really great christmas compared to sony, maybe not. But if they're within 15% of PS3 sales, I reckon they'd go for another cut.

ms needs to drop the price of the xbox more in the eu than in america, if they want to stop sony catching up with them in pal regions

With the install base advantage the 360 has in America, plus the extremely minor fact that they will have exclusive DLC for the game ensures that the 360 will be "the platform" for GTA.

But of course we already knew this, since the console has been out for twice as long.

IMO A lot of people will look at brand name, hardware reliability, blu-ray, 08 exclusives and will go towards PS3 though. Maybe not so much in NA, but definitely in PAL.
Given this knowledge, the time between now and the launch of GTA is huge for sony.

@OP , so if Microsoft doesn't launch a preemptive strike (price cuts) sooner than later- the only market they will outperform Sony in software sales for GTA will be NA.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.