By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The next price drop for 360

What do you think the prices will be? These are my predictions either early next year or around GTA4 launch that will cause the price drop

Arcade SKU = $229.99

Premium SKU = $299.99

Elite SKU = $359.99

What does everybody think?

What are you looking at, nerd?
Around the Network

$199 Arcade SKU for 09 Holiday

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

I don't know if Microsoft's gaming devision has the balls to do it now they have finally achieved profitability, but what they really need is an ENORMOUS price differentiation between the 360 and the PS3 at the moment GTAIV comes out. Im talking the Pro being very sub-40gb cost, and the Elite being slightly sub-40gb cost.

The $299 you have for Pro would be enough unless Sony drops the PS3's price again. Off course, the jury is out on whether or not one more PS3 price cut so soon would just be the final straw as far as the PS3 ever reaching profitability is concerned. I reckon Microsoft could actually have the Pro at the Wii's current price point by then without really losing any money if they really wanted to.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

And of course, that kind of price differentiation would ensure that Microsoft consoles, not Sony ones, would be the primary platform for GTA games this generation, at the very least in the USA, but also in Europe if the price differentiation was matched.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I actually think there gonna do it sooner in time for Lost Odyssey in America. $250 arcade $320 Premium and $420 Elite. Minor cut again, mostly cause they dont want to bleed billions like last generation.

Around the Network

I think that a post holiday price adjustment is possible, where the price is dropped but the bundled games removed from the Pro and Elite (though I think they should just keep the Arcade and lower the price).

I see a possibility for a small price drop (maybe $30 for Arcade and Premium, $50 for Elite), along with a massive advertising campaign in the next couple of weeks (maybe around the 15th or 16th), just in time for Christmas. Think about it:

A different commercial showcasing each genre that they cater to. Each one would start the same, with the white/green Xbox logo on the screen and an upbeat voice saying "What do YOU want to play?"

To hands move onto the screen from the bottom, one holding a black marker, one with a torn piece of paper. It very quickly (fast-forward) writes the genre on the paper. Then a montage of that type of genre on 360. For example, if the hand said "RPG", it would then flash to a 45-second montage of everything from Mass Effect and Oblivion to Eternal Sonata, set to final-fantasy-ish music. It would showcase the best moments of each game.

Then, fade to white: "Xbox 360. Starting at $239"

They would have a commercial like this for every genre, showcasing everything from Gears, to Assassin's Creed, to Dead Rising. Also, a commercial for their large library of player's choice titles and Xbox Live Marketplace.

I then think that they would do another $30 drop across all SKU's (at the minimum, if Sony doesn't also drop) at the release of GTA4, making a very big difference between the price of the Elite and the 40-gig.

Just my 2 cents, though, and I definitely think we'll see a big advertising push.

Remember it took 20 months for the first price drop to take effect. I expect another drop in America right before the next holiday season

I think a price cut for GTA would make sense.... One before then only if Sony started to beat 360. If Sony stays behind there is no pressure for Microsoft to do a cut. They don't need to spur overall demand because they have reached the 10 million critical mass mark. They only have to stay ahead of Sony now.

Nintendo isn't really their competition because they don't have the tools to compete... Namely a large number AAA family / social games that everyone would like to play.

I would hope Microsoft has learned the value of being priced competitively. When their was a big delta between the PS3 and 360, the PS3 was getting crushed. They are now price equivalent and the PS3 is doing much better. Certainly games had something to do with it, but price is most certainly the biggest factor.

I own a 360 and really enjoy it. By next holiday, if I was having to make my hardware choice then (between a 360 and PS3), I'd probably lean toward the PS3 because of the built-in Blu Ray player. The Blu-Ray does add value to the equation...

As much as I want to see the 360 do well, if they try to hold the line on current pricing, I suspect that the PS3 will begin to make major progress next year. Honestly, I think MS made a mistake only cutting $50 off the price of the 360 late this year. A $100 cut would have put some serious hurt on Sony over the holidays in both the U.S. and in Europe...

Bottom line, I think MS needs to look for a $199 Arcade, 279 or so Premium, and $349 Elite. That returns price leadership to the platform and makes the Blu-Ray a premium again for the average user. I doubt they have the margin at this point to achieve it, however... We'll see, I guess, but it would be really smart to make the move right before GTAIV...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.