By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does Sony fail at making another mega franchise?

EncodedNybble said:

For the most part Sony has never had any 1st part mega hits with the exception of the GT series.  

I'd say Crash was, though that straddles the line since Sony didn't actually own it.  Shame Naughty Dog can't seem to make another franchise that's as successful.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:

@ Smashchu2

Quote bars are now outrageous.

Anyway, so let me get this straight, a VGC article isn't evidence? So now using a VGC article makes me delusional? So ioi's info is wrong?

It's sad that you would ignore the site's figures -

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40251&reg=World&date=40258&console=&maker=

PS3 229,890 (-0%) 33,747,470

Week of God of War III's release

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40258&reg=World&date=40265&console=&maker=

PS3 243,936 ( 6%) 33,991,406

The week after. The numbers went down?

First, it doesn't matter if the data is from this site, but you have to back up your claims with facts. It is only now that you do so, when it should have been 2 or 3 post back. Also note that I'm using US sales on a monthly basis.

When doing sales analysis, you have to look at bigger, not smaller. A week can easily change due to anything. The Wii was up 2% in the week of GoW3's release. Why?

6% actually means that the game did not drive hardware because the change is so small that there weren't a lot of new players buying the system for the game. You could look at any week and find 6, or 5 or 7 precent increases. It does not mean the game drove hardware and proves that the game did not drive hardware like it should because the increase is too small.

EDIT: Here is an example. Notice how the Wii went up 7% but there was no reason for it to go up. While the top sellers were Wii games, they were games released a while back (two of which were Wii Sports). So a variation of 6% means nothing.

Um, two posts back, I showed you that Uncharted 2 had a boost, you claim it went down. Then, in March, the PS3 had a boost (though smaller than I expected - which I admitted) but you claimed it went down. In both cases you were proven wrong.

Back up my claim with facts, I did so. You used a source outside of VGC, a source known to be inaccurate (Wiki). If you're going to claim that I wasn't using facts, where were yours?

And I asked you 3 questions in the last post. Where are the answers...?

I missed the Uncharted thing. My bad.

Again, it was a week comparison. The NPD numbers showed the month was down. November would be up because it's November.Also, how much was the increase from the Slim model and how much was from the game?

Also, the numbers I posted are not inaccurate because they have a source associated with them. Look at the bottem of the page and you can see the news report giving the numbers. I also checked them against other sources.

Why should I answer your questions? They are just trying to shift the argument to something outside of what we are talking about. The are not trying to prove a claim.

The post you made is trying to "chesse," the argument. You can win on facts so you rely to trying other tactics, like having me answer BS question that we botrh know serves nothing to the current argument. You didn't mention the meat of my last post (which is, that there was no increase in hardware because the % increase is too small and a week is not a reliable period of time). Your argument is now trailing off.

Actually, my questions hold much validity. You claim there was no increase on either GoWIII or Uncharted 2. I refutted your claims by showing you proof available right here on the site. You even went as far as to claim the numbers went down during the weeks of both releases, and showed me "evidence" from a site infamous for inaccuracy.

My argument hasn't trailed anywhere, you just didn't like the answers you got. And if anything, YOUR argument has trailed off.

1. You first claimed Sony's games move no software. 3-5 million in sales isn't "not moving software".

2. Then, when you couldn't really defend that, you switched to hardware. You said their games move "no hardware". Uncharted 2 moved 25% additional hardware the week of it's release. In that same topic, you claimed PS3 hardware went down.

3. Finally, you said the sales of their games will never put them on top. Although that's irrelevant to the topic (which was pointed out to you earlier), it was never a reason Sony won any generations in the first place. Amount of content overall, not how much each individual IP sold.

Your claims have been refutted, bottom line, which now leads me to believe that you will perpetuate this given that you couldn't prove me wrong, factually, just for the sake of having the last word.

In the future, if you claim someone is "BSing" and/or "delusional", make sure they can't refute your claims in any way.

The questions I saw were you saying "What, don't like VGChartz," These would not be helpful to the argument are they detract attention.

1)My claim was always hardware. If I said software, it was a typo (but I hope it would be clear by how I'm wording everything).

2)But data shows that both the month of Uncharted's and GoW3's sales were down over the month prior. This means that neither game could help push software, only in a very short term period (and a week is very short term. For most businesses, short term is less than a year). These definatly would not be Mega hits. If it's only 1 week, how much is that helping? How much of that can we attribute to normal variation?

3)What put Sony on top is that they managed to get all of the third party support, helped by the fact that developers did not like Sega and Nintendo and betted on Sony primarily. There is perfect correlation with when Sony launches and how well they do.

Your claims have been refutted, bottom line, which now leads me to believe that you will perpetuate this given that you couldn't prove me wrong, factually, just for the sake of having the last word.

Someone is arrogant. I have thrown a lot of knives at your argument with no rebuttle. I would love to see your response.

CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

The answer to your question is very simple: since when has Sony even made a megahit series? Gran Turismo is the only one. Sony is notorious for relying on third parties for their content. This is the main reason why the 360 can easily compete with the PS3. Sony has never been strong at making their own games and they never will be.

Funniest line I've read in a while.

Well, perhaps you can direct me to a Sony made game that actually pushed software. Because from what I've seen, all the system movers have been from third parties. Due to the need for third parties to port, Sony can nevber be on top again.

The conversation wasn't about Sony being on top though. Sony has big IPs that push enough software to warrant sequels and shape the brand. They've never had a huge library of sellers the likes of Gran Turismo, and as said a dozen times or so, they haven't needed them.

Many IPs don't sell like Halo, Mario , or Gran Turismo - including many of Nintendo's franchises not named Wii "something". 3rd parties are in a similar situation, to get a franchise to hit Modern Warfare 2 numbers is hit or miss.

If Sony has done anything, they HAVE kept a strong 1st party line-up and development catalogue, which is what you claimed was missing. Your definition of "pushing software" is strictly your own. Last time I checked: LBP, UC2, God of War III, Killzone 2, GT5:P, and others have all pushed a good amount of software, overall.

No, they don't. None of those games have any power and none of them have helped hardware. And none of those brands are near strong.

The whole point of first party software is that it puishes systems. This is true of most of Nintendo's first party offerings. Sony's games have no pushed hardweare and most of their sales are laughable for a first party developer. It's Sony's job to move hardware. This is why Sony can never be on top. They can't push hardware with their games so they rely on third parties to do so. Since 3rd parties have no intention of going exclusive, then Sony has the same games as the competitors, who are probably making their own 1st party games. Sony always has to launch first in order to beat the competition.

The goal is to push hardware not software. The sooner Sony learns this, the better they are.

Quite a few of Sony's titles have pushed hardware (God of War III & Uncharted 2 to name a few). And again, what you think of Sony's 1st party numbers is irrelevant. It's strict and your own (not to mention biased).

Funny you mention Sony having to launch first to beat the competition. If that were the case, Sega wouldn't have lost two gens in a row to them.

Sony's 1st party get the job done, as evidenced by the reception in the industry. Just because you create a mega franchise here or there doesn't mean you'll be on top (before this gen, Nintendo surely understood that). Sony may never again have a franchise as big as GT. In the grand scheme of it all, they probably won't need one either. Together, their 1st party offerings push hardware.

I agree with you, The PS3 has a lot of great franchises, but they lack the talent (and the budget) to make a "mega" franchise.

Also don't bother arguing with CGI, he will argue against any comment even the the most slightly negative about the PS3. Unless you yourself just give up, he will keep comming after you, and he will only argue against the parts of your post he has an arguement for. The rest of the post he will ignore.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

To Smashchu2 & CGI Quality:

All exclusive titles do boost hardware sales.

The week before God War War 3 was released, Final Fantasy XIII was also released outside of Japan, and 2 weeks before that it was Battlefield Bad Company. Yakuza 3 was also released outside of Japan the week God of War was released.

Soo starting with the week ending the 27th of February PS3 sold 234k, then the week of Battlefield (Week ending March 6th), the PS3 sold 208.5k or -11%, then the week of Final Fantasy XIII (week ending March 13th), the PS3 sold 230.7k or 11%, then the week of GoW and Yakuza (week ending March 20th), the PS3 sold 229.9k, or -0%, and the week after sales jumped due to the launch of Fist of the North Star in Japan. It jumped to 243.9k that week, or 6%. Four weeks later PS3 sales were at 148.4 k weekly, which is like a 40% drop.

We can't pin how many sales were attributed to God of War 3, but it did boost sales, maybe only by 20k, maybe by 100k, but for all future console owners, thats 1 more game to convince them to finally get a PS3.

As for Uncharted 2, PS3 sales were slowly dropping due to the wearing off of the Slim effect. Before the game sales were at 241.7k, and then jumped to 266.2k, or 10%. It may not be a huge jump, but sales do jump from games that only end in 2-4 million sales. Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone, even multiplatform games like FFXIII boost sales. It' silly to argue otherwise.

As for Smashchu's point about random weeks consoles can by up or down by 5 or 6%, thats true. Sometimes wal-mart has a sale on Wii games, people walk in and end up bying a PS3 because they were already there for a separate sale, and were considering a PS3 prior. Sometimes consoles jump because people just coincidently bought a lot of that console in one week. However games still generate hardware sales, I know people who were considering buying a PS3 for God of War 3, and when that sexy blue limited edition GT5 PS3 comes out I expect a big hardware spike, especially in EMEAA where GT games generally get half their sales.

This is however off topic.

Smashchu's original post was about Sony not being able to produce any "mega" franchises outside of GT5, and they relied heavily on third party support in past generations (FF, GTA, and Resident Evil were all Sony exclusives at one point). This is a correct statement.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

Again, it was a week comparison. The NPD numbers showed the month was down. November would be up because it's November.Also, how much was the increase from the Slim model and how much was from the game?

Also, the numbers I posted are not inaccurate because they have a source associated with them. Look at the bottem of the page and you can see the news report giving the numbers. I also checked them against other sources.

Why should I answer your questions? They are just trying to shift the argument to something outside of what we are talking about. The are not trying to prove a claim.

The post you made is trying to "chesse," the argument. You can win on facts so you rely to trying other tactics, like having me answer BS question that we botrh know serves nothing to the current argument. You didn't mention the meat of my last post (which is, that there was no increase in hardware because the % increase is too small and a week is not a reliable period of time). Your argument is now trailing off.

Actually, my questions hold much validity. You claim there was no increase on either GoWIII or Uncharted 2. I refutted your claims by showing you proof available right here on the site. You even went as far as to claim the numbers went down during the weeks of both releases, and showed me "evidence" from a site infamous for inaccuracy.

My argument hasn't trailed anywhere, you just didn't like the answers you got. And if anything, YOUR argument has trailed off.

1. You first claimed Sony's games move no software. 3-5 million in sales isn't "not moving software".

2. Then, when you couldn't really defend that, you switched to hardware. You said their games move "no hardware". Uncharted 2 moved 25% additional hardware the week of it's release. In that same topic, you claimed PS3 hardware went down.

3. Finally, you said the sales of their games will never put them on top. Although that's irrelevant to the topic (which was pointed out to you earlier), it was never a reason Sony won any generations in the first place. Amount of content overall, not how much each individual IP sold.

In the future, if you claim someone is "BSing" and/or "delusional", make sure they can't refute your claims in any way.

The questions I saw were you saying "What, don't like VGChartz," These would not be helpful to the argument are they detract attention.

1)My claim was always hardware. If I said software, it was a typo (but I hope it would be clear by how I'm wording everything).

2)But data shows that both the month of Uncharted's and GoW3's sales were down over the month prior. This means that neither game could help push software, only in a very short term period (and a week is very short term. For most businesses, short term is less than a year). These definatly would not be Mega hits. If it's only 1 week, how much is that helping? How much of that can we attribute to normal variation?

3)What put Sony on top is that they managed to get all of the third party support, helped by the fact that developers did not like Sega and Nintendo and betted on Sony primarily. There is perfect correlation with when Sony launches and how well they do.

Someone is arrogant. I have thrown a lot of knives at your argument with no rebuttle. I would love to see your response.

I notice you have a knack for labels (arrogant, delusional). Guess that's what happens when the crutches to your argument have been knocked over. Now I see how psrock felt

Anyway....

1) Your claim was not just hardware, as you specifically mentioned software and how Sony's games are "laughable for 1st party". Then you said they always have to laucnh first to win, when they've never launched first in any gen and have only lost this one.

2) Nobody claimed Uncharted 2 nor God of War III were mega hits. That right there tells me you made something out of nothing. Also, never in your earlier posts did you say "down from the month prior" you said the weeek of those releases the numbers "went down". Very different.

3) 3rd party devs didn't like Sega or Nintendo? OK. So how'd they survive the two gens prior? Nintendo had plenty of 3rd party support (in particular). Devs had just moved on from the cartridge phase. Didn't mean "they didn't like them". In fact, the Dreamcast had a plethora of 3rd party big names (exclusive to it too) - Street Fighter III: Double Impact, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Rival Scholls, Power Stone, Crazy Taxi's 1 & 2 and the list could go on and on. Yes, both the PS1 & PS2s relied heavily on 3rd party support, no doubt, but Sony's own games held their own as well.

Like I said, you'll continue to prolong theis discussion, without an argument. And your credibility was in jeopardy the moment you claimed VGC was not proof of anything, as well as using Wiki for proof of numbers.

You see the part I underlined? I don't mean to insult you CGI, but you never address it. You ignored it, and replied to the part of his comment that you wanted to. You complain when he didn't answer all of your questions, and he apoligized when he missed a topic, but you do the same in return.

Anyway keeping this simple, and keeping it on topic to as why these franchises aren't "mega" franchises.

1. I never read SmashChu2 say software anywhere, were talking about hardware and his point is that none of PS3's. Hang on, I will stay on topic.

A topic was raised about an early launch for the console aids in the development of "mega" franchises. This may be true, but isn't required (as in the case of the Wii, and SNES). The PS1 and PS2 did launch early. The PS1 was released after the Sega Saturn, but that thing never took off, and I'm surprised you even included it. The PS1 launched before the N64, so that could explain why PS1 had some extra juice for it's "mega" franchises, if this theory holds. As for PS2, you shouldn't really include the Dreamcast as a competing console that launched prior because It's not really definitive whether or not the Dreamcast was intended as an N64 compeditor. The console was discontinued on January 31st, 2001, the same year the Gamecube and X-box came out, and only a couple months after the PS2 was released outside of Japan. It came out in 1998 in Japan (3 years after N64), and in 1999 for the rest of the world, and during it's life it competed with the N64 for sales.

Anyway the PS2 was the earliest console to launch, so if this theory of "launching first to win." may be true. It's not definitive, I mean look at the Wii and SNES, but it's a valid correlation with successful "mega" franchises, and successful console sales. However a correlation could mean many things, so this point should only be taken into consideration into why PS3 franchises aren't "mega" and not used as if it were a fact. It's a theory, and an interesting one.

2) This point is a bit off topic, so I won't say anything except SmashChu2 did say that PS3's moderatly selling exclusive line-up does not boost hardware sales.

3) Only the bold is on topic. You admit that the PS1 and PS2 relied heavily on 3rd party support to produce "mega" franchises. Yey!! Finally!!!

Sony IP's did hold their own, but with the exception of GT, none of them properly went mega. A lot of them sold well, and are great games, but except for GT Sony never produced any "mega" franchises. That was SmashChu's Original Post, and well it's not really debatable. You agree that Sony relied on 3rd party exclusives for it's previous "mega" franchises, and it's true that the only "mega" franchise that Sony has ever produced is GT.

Thats it, we just answered SmashChu's post that caused all this off-topic debate. Job done.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

The answer to your question is very simple: since when has Sony even made a megahit series? Gran Turismo is the only one. Sony is notorious for relying on third parties for their content. This is the main reason why the 360 can easily compete with the PS3. Sony has never been strong at making their own games and they never will be.

Well, perhaps you can direct me to a Sony made game that actually pushed software. Because from what I've seen, all the system movers have been from third parties. Due to the need for third parties to port, Sony can nevber be on top again.

The conversation wasn't about Sony being on top though. Sony has big IPs that push enough software to warrant sequels and shape the brand. They've never had a huge library of sellers the likes of Gran Turismo, and as said a dozen times or so, they haven't needed them.

Many IPs don't sell like Halo, Mario , or Gran Turismo - including many of Nintendo's franchises not named Wii "something". 3rd parties are in a similar situation, to get a franchise to hit Modern Warfare 2 numbers is hit or miss.

If Sony has done anything, they HAVE kept a strong 1st party line-up and development catalogue, which is what you claimed was missing. Your definition of "pushing software" is strictly your own. Last time I checked: LBP, UC2, God of War III, Killzone 2, GT5:P, and others have all pushed a good amount of software, overall.

No, they don't. None of those games have any power and none of them have helped hardware. And none of those brands are near strong.

The whole point of first party software is that it puishes systems. This is true of most of Nintendo's first party offerings. Sony's games have no pushed hardweare and most of their sales are laughable for a first party developer. It's Sony's job to move hardware. This is why Sony can never be on top. They can't push hardware with their games so they rely on third parties to do so. Since 3rd parties have no intention of going exclusive, then Sony has the same games as the competitors, who are probably making their own 1st party games. Sony always has to launch first in order to beat the competition.

The goal is to push hardware not software. The sooner Sony learns this, the better they are.

Quite a few of Sony's titles have pushed hardware (God of War III & Uncharted 2 to name a few). And again, what you think of Sony's 1st party numbers is irrelevant. It's strict and your own (not to mention biased).

Funny you mention Sony having to launch first to beat the competition. If that were the case, Sega wouldn't have lost two gens in a row to them.

Sony's 1st party get the job done, as evidenced by the reception in the industry. Just because you create a mega franchise here or there doesn't mean you'll be on top (before this gen, Nintendo surely understood that). Sony may never again have a franchise as big as GT. In the grand scheme of it all, they probably won't need one either. Together, their 1st party offerings push hardware.

I agree with you, The PS3 has a lot of great franchises, but they lack the talent (and the budget) to make a "mega" franchise.

Also don't bother arguing with CGI, he will argue against any comment even the the most slightly negative about the PS3. Unless you yourself just give up, he will keep comming after you, and he will only argue against the parts of your post he has an arguement for. The rest of the post he will ignore.

Bro, you've already been proven wrong so many times in here. It's comical now how bad you want to prolong this discussion.

- You said Resistance was 3rd party - wrong.

- You said Gears was 1st party - also wrong.

You said Halo: Reach and Halo 3 were two different status of IPs (2nd & 1st). The Halo IP is completely 1st party, owned by Microsoft.

There was plenty more but there's no reason to go back over it. Just know this, NOTHING you debated with me on proved me to be incorrect, nothing. If you think you found something, however, I'll gladly check it out. Otherwise, you're just quoting me now out of spite of losing a debate.

I never said Gears was a first party. Stop twisting what I say. I said Gears was "in the same boat" as Resistance, as a 3rd party exclusive.

Also Resistance is published by a 3rd party developer. The IP may be Sony copyright, but I only argued that it's not a 1st party game. It's a 1st party IP, developed by a 3rd party developer.

The only thing I was proven was that Resistance is not a second party game, and that was not by you. You have yet to prove me wrong, and I still want to know those "holes in my logic" from that other thread you completly ignored.

I did say Reach was second party because of a mis-undertanding of the term. It was however not explained to me by you. Reach was developed by Bungie after Bungie went independant, it was still a First Party IP (I never said it wasn't), and it was developed by a 3rd party developer (which is it). I thought that was what a second party game is, but I was mistaken. I was not wrong, and the second party term was not explain to me accuratly by you.

You have never proven me wrong, and this is completly off topic, so please lets stop with this.

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

I notice you have a knack for labels (arrogant, delusional). Guess that's what happens when the crutches to your argument have been knocked over. Now I see how psrock felt

Anyway....

1) Your claim was not just hardware, as you specifically mentioned software and how Sony's games are "laughable for 1st party". Then you said they always have to laucnh first to win, when they've never launched first in any gen and have only lost this one.

2) Nobody claimed Uncharted 2 nor God of War III were mega hits. That right there tells me you made something out of nothing. Also, never in your earlier posts did you say "down from the month prior" you said the weeek of those releases the numbers "went down". Very different.

3) 3rd party devs didn't like Sega or Nintendo? OK. So how'd they survive the two gens prior? Nintendo had plenty of 3rd party support (in particular). Devs had just moved on from the cartridge phase. Didn't mean "they didn't like them". In fact, the Dreamcast had a plethora of 3rd party big names (exclusive to it too) - Street Fighter III: Double Impact, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Rival Scholls, Power Stone, Crazy Taxi's 1 & 2 and the list could go on and on. Yes, both the PS1 & PS2s relied heavily on 3rd party support, no doubt, but Sony's own games held their own as well.

Like I said, you'll continue to prolong theis discussion, without an argument. And your credibility was in jeopardy the moment you claimed VGC was not proof of anything, as well as using Wiki for proof of numbers.

You see the part I underlined? I don't mean to insult you CGI, but you never address it. You ignored it, and replied to the part of his comment that you wanted to. You complain when he didn't answer all of your questions, and he apoligized when he missed a topic, but you do the same in return.

Anyway keeping this simple, and keeping it on topic to as why these franchises aren't "mega" franchises.

1. I never read SmashChu2 say software anywhere, were talking about hardware and his point is that none of PS3's. Hang on, I will stay on topic.

A topic was raised about an early launch for the console aids in the development of "mega" franchises. This may be true, but isn't required (as in the case of the Wii, and SNES). The PS1 and PS2 did launch early. The PS1 was released after the Sega Saturn, but that thing never took off, and I'm surprised you even included it. The PS1 launched before the N64, so that could explain why PS1 had some extra juice for it's "mega" franchises, if this theory holds. As for PS2, you shouldn't really include the Dreamcast as a competing console that launched prior because It's not really definitive whether or not the Dreamcast was intended as an N64 compeditor. The console was discontinued on January 31st, 2001, the same year the Gamecube and X-box came out, and only a couple months after the PS2 was released outside of Japan. It came out in 1998 in Japan (3 years after N64), and in 1999 for the rest of the world, and during it's life it competed with the N64 for sales.

Anyway the PS2 was the earliest console to launch, so if this theory of "launching first to win." may be true. It's not definitive, I mean look at the Wii and SNES, but it's a valid correlation with successful "mega" franchises, and successful console sales. However a correlation could mean many things, so this point should only be taken into consideration into why PS3 franchises aren't "mega" and not used as if it were a fact. It's a theory, and an interesting one.

2) This point is a bit off topic, so I won't say anything except SmashChu2 did say that PS3's moderatly selling exclusive line-up does not boost hardware sales.

3) Only the bold is on topic. You admit that the PS1 and PS2 relied heavily on 3rd party support to produce "mega" franchises. Yey!! Finally!!!

Sony IP's did hold their own, but with the exception of GT, none of them properly went mega. A lot of them sold well, and are great games, but except for GT Sony never produced any "mega" franchises. That was SmashChu's Original Post, and well it's not really debatable. You agree that Sony relied on 3rd party exclusives for it's previous "mega" franchises, and it's true that the only "mega" franchise that Sony has ever produced is GT.

Thats it, we just answered SmashChu's post that caused all this off-topic debate. Job done.

Paragraph A - HUH?! I'm not sure what I didn't address. That's my post, what didn't I address?

Paragraph B - Nothing really there but opinions. Nothing to debate factually.

Paragraph C- Agreed. A theory.

Paragraph D- Smashchu said Sony's 1st party IP sales are laughable. That would be software.

I think you quoted the wrong person. You quoted me and said I never addressed him (and bolded what I posted).

A The underlined part of Smashchu2's quote way up.

B...Whats B? I have more then 4 paragraphs lol I think your refering to point #2. This topic is off-topic, so I would like us to stop. Were not suppose to derail the topic at hand, thats why I was banned accidently for 7 hours (it was suppose to be a temporary thread ban) on that other thread about why 360 sells soo well. I responded to this in another post to end your arguement, and will not assist you in derailing a topic.

C I'll agree 100% with you here.

D Your ignoring my responce to your #3 arguement and switching topics. This exactly the same thing I underlined in Smashcu2's post. Please don't get off-topic, and please respond to Smashchu2's point, as well as my #3

As for PS3's 1st party IP's being laughable. I think he was refering to their sales in regards to becoming "mega" franchises. A bit harsh be it, it's true. Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone, LBP, etc, etc, are far away saleswise from ebing mega. I adressed this earlier, who cares? You agreed with me I recall.

Sonys had series that sold more than Halo AND Gears.

Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

There is nothing wrong with Sony's games, and I will admit that they sell well, but they sell well compared to other third parties, not for what a first party game. Not to be stated as an argument; just pointing out where a lot of this is coming from. I agree with you basically.

As far as arguing with CGI, I think I'm done. I've made my point. I might respond to one last post, but even then I'll forget.

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

Bro, you've already been proven wrong so many times in here. It's comical now how bad you want to prolong this discussion.

- You said Resistance was 3rd party - wrong.

- You said Gears was 1st party - also wrong.

You said Halo: Reach and Halo 3 were two different status of IPs (2nd & 1st). The Halo IP is completely 1st party, owned by Microsoft.

There was plenty more but there's no reason to go back over it. Just know this, NOTHING you debated with me on proved me to be incorrect, nothing. If you think you found something, however, I'll gladly check it out. Otherwise, you're just quoting me now out of spite of losing a debate.

I never said Gears was a first party. Stop twisting what I say. I said Gears was "in the same boat" as Resistance, as a 3rd party exclusive.

Also Resistance is published by a 3rd party developer. The IP may be Sony copyright, but I only argued that it's not a 1st party game. It's a 1st party IP, developed by a 3rd party developer.

The only thing I was proven was that Resistance is not a second party game, and that was not by you. You have yet to prove me wrong, and I still want to know those "holes in my logic" from that other thread you completly ignored.

I did say Reach was second party because of a mis-undertanding of the term. It was however not explained to me by you. Reach was developed by Bungie after Bungie went independant, it was still a First Party IP (I never said it wasn't), and it was developed by a 3rd party developer (which is it). I thought that was what a second party game is, but I was mistaken. I was not wrong, and the second party term was not explain to me accuratly by you.

You have never proven me wrong, and this is completly off topic, so please lets stop with this.

Everything bold has been proven wrong. Resistance is NOT published by a 3rd party dev, but owned by Sony. It is NOT in the same boat as Gears, which is published by Microsoft, but onwed by Epic Games. It's a 3rd party title, nonetheless, and Resistance is 1st party. Sooner you understand that, the one less debate you'll have with me.

The 2nd party term was explained to you the same by anyone that was willing to explain (inlcuding me), the term is really non-existant.

No youre definition of the term second party was different from others, and Resistance is still developed by a 3rd party developer. Wait why did I write published up there, anyway I always argued developed, just made a typo on my last message. I know the IP is first party, but whatever it's still in the same boat as Gears. I was not wrong with my statement, and you never proved me wrong on anything.

And enough of this, seriously, I'm tired of it.