By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does Sony fail at making another mega franchise?

CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

The answer to your question is very simple: since when has Sony even made a megahit series? Gran Turismo is the only one. Sony is notorious for relying on third parties for their content. This is the main reason why the 360 can easily compete with the PS3. Sony has never been strong at making their own games and they never will be.

Funniest line I've read in a while.

Well, perhaps you can direct me to a Sony made game that actually pushed software. Because from what I've seen, all the system movers have been from third parties. Due to the need for third parties to port, Sony can nevber be on top again.

The conversation wasn't about Sony being on top though. Sony has big IPs that push enough software to warrant sequels and shape the brand. They've never had a huge library of sellers the likes of Gran Turismo, and as said a dozen times or so, they haven't needed them.

Many IPs don't sell like Halo, Mario , or Gran Turismo - including many of Nintendo's franchises not named Wii "something". 3rd parties are in a similar situation, to get a franchise to hit Modern Warfare 2 numbers is hit or miss.

If Sony has done anything, they HAVE kept a strong 1st party line-up and development catalogue, which is what you claimed was missing. Your definition of "pushing software" is strictly your own. Last time I checked: LBP, UC2, God of War III, Killzone 2, GT5:P, and others have all pushed a good amount of software, overall.

No, they don't. None of those games have any power and none of them have helped hardware. And none of those brands are near strong.

The whole point of first party software is that it puishes systems. This is true of most of Nintendo's first party offerings. Sony's games have no pushed hardweare and most of their sales are laughable for a first party developer. It's Sony's job to move hardware. This is why Sony can never be on top. They can't push hardware with their games so they rely on third parties to do so. Since 3rd parties have no intention of going exclusive, then Sony has the same games as the competitors, who are probably making their own 1st party games. Sony always has to launch first in order to beat the competition.

The goal is to push hardware not software. The sooner Sony learns this, the better they are.

Around the Network
Zipper said:

Sony has been in the console business for 15 years

They've created 3 amazing consoles, two of them being amazingly popular and one the best selling home console in the world. They own the most amazing developers, I believe today Sony is only second to Nintendo in  quality when it comes to first party titles. your opinion They created dozens franchises, some of them more popular than others yet only one of them - Gran Turismo, has been extremely popular and with Gran Turismo 5 releasing soon, we will see if the franchise is still popular as it was before. yes we will 3m 1st week baby

I'm trying to think why, in 15 years, they couldn't make at least one extremely popular franchise among the dozens they've created? id rater have dozens of good ones than just one Even back in the PS2 era, Sony created some of the best titles on the system, but they still weren't crazy popular

Titles that are critically acclaimed - Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Killzone 2 - Why do they fail to reach their sales potential? U2 and GoW3 i think have KZ2 was the surprise but i believe KZ3 will change that Its obvious the potential is there

Take Uncharted 2 for example. It the most critically acclaimed of the bunch, it has multiplayer, co-op and I can't take think of a game that is more easy to market - yet it failed to make an impact and dropped of the NPD for good after one month of sales which weren't extremely good anyway idk about all that its still in the top 40 WW weekly who cares about big 1st weeks U3 will take care of that for you

Why do titles like Gears of War (for some reason the eastiest title to compare to Uncharted) do so much better? its rated M for mature has local splitscreen MP period

Why do titles like Killzone 2 which had a huge amount of hype and belongs to the most popular genre on consoles today failed to sell the millions everyone thought it will? same as above except for the Mature part also missing alot of features other FPS had at that time along with no blind fire from cover and no cover system in MP also i believe some didnt like the controls and the way the movement felt

It an interesting topic I think we should discuss

but your right sony doesnt market there games much and they have said that they dont have that kinda money like others in the industry do and id rather have them use there money to create more killer games like U2 GoW3 GT5 ect..

SONY ONLY fans are a unique bunch they come from all parts of the world and there taste in games is very varied and SONY knows this thats why they keep creating many good games in different genres gen after gen to appeal to these people and keep there business going they dont have time to think about marketing there thinking bout creating the next big thing gen after gen

Play Me

CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

The answer to your question is very simple: since when has Sony even made a megahit series? Gran Turismo is the only one. Sony is notorious for relying on third parties for their content. This is the main reason why the 360 can easily compete with the PS3. Sony has never been strong at making their own games and they never will be.

Funniest line I've read in a while.

Well, perhaps you can direct me to a Sony made game that actually pushed software. Because from what I've seen, all the system movers have been from third parties. Due to the need for third parties to port, Sony can nevber be on top again.

The conversation wasn't about Sony being on top though. Sony has big IPs that push enough software to warrant sequels and shape the brand. They've never had a huge library of sellers the likes of Gran Turismo, and as said a dozen times or so, they haven't needed them.

Many IPs don't sell like Halo, Mario , or Gran Turismo - including many of Nintendo's franchises not named Wii "something". 3rd parties are in a similar situation, to get a franchise to hit Modern Warfare 2 numbers is hit or miss.

If Sony has done anything, they HAVE kept a strong 1st party line-up and development catalogue, which is what you claimed was missing. Your definition of "pushing software" is strictly your own. Last time I checked: LBP, UC2, God of War III, Killzone 2, GT5:P, and others have all pushed a good amount of software, overall.

No, they don't. None of those games have any power and none of them have helped hardware. And none of those brands are near strong.

The whole point of first party software is that it puishes systems. This is true of most of Nintendo's first party offerings. Sony's games have no pushed hardweare and most of their sales are laughable for a first party developer. It's Sony's job to move hardware. This is why Sony can never be on top. They can't push hardware with their games so they rely on third parties to do so. Since 3rd parties have no intention of going exclusive, then Sony has the same games as the competitors, who are probably making their own 1st party games. Sony always has to launch first in order to beat the competition.

The goal is to push hardware not software. The sooner Sony learns this, the better they are.

Quite a few of Sony's titles have pushed hardware (God of War III & Uncharted 2 to name a few). And again, what you think of Sony's 1st party numbers is irrelevant. It's strict and your own (not to mention biased).

Funny you mention Sony having to launch first to beat the competition. If that were the case, Sega wouldn't have lost two gens in a row to them.

Sony's 1st party get the job done, as evidenced by the reception in the industry. Just because you create a mega franchise here or there doesn't mean you'll be on top (before this gen, Nintendo surely understood that). Sony may never again have a franchise as big as GT. In the grand scheme of it all, they probably won't need one either. Together, their 1st party offerings push hardware.

No, neither of them did. Unless you can show that they did, then you are just spewing BS. In fact, In March, the month of GoW3's release, sales of the PS3 were down (for the US,using the NPD's numbers). So, no, what you are saying is completly wrong.

What you say [the bold] is counter intuative to what happens. Nintendo understands that it's software that drives the system. This is why the Wii, despite slow sales in 2009, rocketed up to 4 million in a month thanks to New Super Mario Bros Wii. The bold is wrong because Nintendo is on top due to Mega series. Sony, on the other hand, relies on price cuts and models to push hardware, which is proven by the fact that PS3 sales slump until a new model is released, then they have a short term gain.

CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Quite a few of Sony's titles have pushed hardware (God of War III & Uncharted 2 to name a few). And again, what you think of Sony's 1st party numbers is irrelevant. It's strict and your own (not to mention biased).

Funny you mention Sony having to launch first to beat the competition. If that were the case, Sega wouldn't have lost two gens in a row to them.

Sony's 1st party get the job done, as evidenced by the reception in the industry. Just because you create a mega franchise here or there doesn't mean you'll be on top (before this gen, Nintendo surely understood that). Sony may never again have a franchise as big as GT. In the grand scheme of it all, they probably won't need one either. Together, their 1st party offerings push hardware.

No, neither of them did. Unless you can show that they did, then you are just spewing BS. In fact, In March, the month of GoW3's release, sales of the PS3 were down (for the US,using the NPD's numbers). So, no, what you are saying is completly wrong.

In the month of March, the PS3 went up in the US. Uncharted 2 launch week also saw a spike in PS3 sales. Both games moved hardware.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_March_2010

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_February_2010

Sales went down.

September 2009

October 2009

Again, sales went down. If you mention they went up in Novermber, then you'd be forgeting that November is a huge selling month for electronics (amoung other things) and has the biggest shopping day of the year (Black friday). So, no, evidence shows these games are not helping hardware.

CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:

In the month of March, the PS3 went up in the US. Uncharted 2 launch week also saw a spike in PS3 sales. Both games moved hardware.

Sales went down.

September 2009

October 2009

Again, sales went down. If you mention they went up in Novermber, then you'd be forgeting that November is a huge selling month for electronics (amoung other things) and has the biggest shopping day of the year (Black friday). So, no, evidence shows these games are not helping hardware.

Look at my edit. And I find it funny that you're on a sales tracking website yet chose to ignore it's figures/articles. Wiki, seriously? Again, read the edit in my last post.

The NPD numbers are correct from what I've seen (and they link to the source). Not to mention NPD is more reliable than VGChartz due to being a professional research group.

But in reality, your post said absolutly nothing. Why are my numbers wrong. It shows that sales for the PS3 are not helped by software. You provide no evidence to support your claim, so all I can say is your comments are BS.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

Sales went down.

September 2009

October 2009

Look at my edit. And I find it funny that you're on a sales tracking website yet chose to ignore it's figures/articles. Wiki, seriously? Again, read the edit in my last post.

The NPD numbers are correct from what I've seen (and they link to the source). Not to mention NPD is more reliable than VGChartz due to being a professional research group.

But in reality, your post said absolutly nothing. Why are my numbers wrong. It shows that sales for the PS3 are not helped by software. You provide no evidence to support your claim, so all I can say is your comments are BS.

I admit, the bump for God of War III is not as much as I thought, but there is no BS regarding Uncharted 2. It isn't my fault you're on a website who's figures you don't trust. I, on the other hand, have no reason not to believe them. A 25% increase? It definitely moved hardware.

1)You have no evidence, so their is no reason to beleive you

2)There was no bump. Sales went down BOTH TIMES. Now you are being delusional.

ok but the 360 cost's the same as the ps3 unless your referring to the arcade which doesn't account for the same numbers the 250gb sales. 

CGI-Quality said:

@ Smashchu2

Quote bars are now outrageous.

Anyway, so let me get this straight, a VGC article isn't evidence? So now using a VGC article makes me delusional? So ioi's info is wrong?

It's sad that you would ignore the site's figures -

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40251&reg=World&date=40258&console=&maker=

PS3 229,890 (-0%) 33,747,470

Week of God of War III's release

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40258&reg=World&date=40265&console=&maker=

PS3 243,936 ( 6%) 33,991,406

The week after. The numbers went down?

First, it doesn't matter if the data is from this site, but you have to back up your claims with facts. It is only now that you do so, when it should have been 2 or 3 post back. Also note that I'm using US sales on a monthly basis.

When doing sales analysis, you have to look at bigger, not smaller. A week can easily change due to anything. The Wii was up 2% in the week of GoW3's release. Why?

6% actually means that the game did not drive hardware because the change is so small that there weren't a lot of new players buying the system for the game. You could look at any week and find 6, or 5 or 7 precent increases. It does not mean the game drove hardware and proves that the game did not drive hardware like it should because the increase is too small.

EDIT: Here is an example. Notice how the Wii went up 7% but there was no reason for it to go up. While the top sellers were Wii games, they were games released a while back (two of which were Wii Sports). So a variation of 6% means nothing.

the PS3 was having terrible shortages in March ( GoW3 month )

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/02/16/ps3-shortages-reported.aspx

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1078665p1.html

and from EDGE news

While God Of War III launched in North America today, the LA Times reports that a number of Best Buy, GameStop and Target stores in West Hollywood are out of PS3 consoles. Some haven’t had any stock for a couple of weeks, while Wal-Mart online and Amazon.com were also sold out.'

--

Exclusives move hardware in the long term , does anyone think the ps3 would have sold the same without its first party games !!!, especially that the ps3 lacks third party exclusive this gen .

and why focusing on GoW3 release ( when the ps3 had shortages ) what about UN2 !! -_-

CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:

@ Smashchu2

Quote bars are now outrageous.

Anyway, so let me get this straight, a VGC article isn't evidence? So now using a VGC article makes me delusional? So ioi's info is wrong?

It's sad that you would ignore the site's figures -

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40251&reg=World&date=40258&console=&maker=

PS3 229,890 (-0%) 33,747,470

Week of God of War III's release

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40258&reg=World&date=40265&console=&maker=

PS3 243,936 ( 6%) 33,991,406

The week after. The numbers went down?

First, it doesn't matter if the data is from this site, but you have to back up your claims with facts. It is only now that you do so, when it should have been 2 or 3 post back. Also note that I'm using US sales on a monthly basis.

When doing sales analysis, you have to look at bigger, not smaller. A week can easily change due to anything. The Wii was up 2% in the week of GoW3's release. Why?

6% actually means that the game did not drive hardware because the change is so small that there weren't a lot of new players buying the system for the game. You could look at any week and find 6, or 5 or 7 precent increases. It does not mean the game drove hardware and proves that the game did not drive hardware like it should because the increase is too small.

EDIT: Here is an example. Notice how the Wii went up 7% but there was no reason for it to go up. While the top sellers were Wii games, they were games released a while back (two of which were Wii Sports). So a variation of 6% means nothing.

Um, two posts back, I showed you that Uncharted 2 had a boost, you claim it went down. Then, in March, the PS3 had a boost (though smaller than I expected - which I admitted) but you claimed it went down. In both cases you were proven wrong.

Back up my claim with facts, I did so. You used a source outside of VGC, a source known to be inaccurate (Wiki). If you're going to claim that I wasn't using facts, where were yours?

And I asked you 3 questions in the last post. Where are the answers...?

I missed the Uncharted thing. My bad.

Again, it was a week comparison. The NPD numbers showed the month was down. November would be up because it's November.Also, how much was the increase from the Slim model and how much was from the game?

Also, the numbers I posted are not inaccurate because they have a source associated with them. Look at the bottem of the page and you can see the news report giving the numbers. I also checked them against other sources.

Why should I answer your questions? They are just trying to shift the argument to something outside of what we are talking about. The are not trying to prove a claim.

The post you made is trying to "chesse," the argument. You can win on facts so you rely to trying other tactics, like having me answer BS question that we botrh know serves nothing to the current argument. You didn't mention the meat of my last post (which is, that there was no increase in hardware because the % increase is too small and a week is not a reliable period of time). Your argument is now trailing off.