By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone remember Ape Escape?

Anyways, Ape Escape on the PS1 was the best, and not because it was made by SCEA, but because it just worked better than its successors. When Ubisoft took over the franchise to create Ape Escape 2 on the PS2, it was good, but not as good as its predecessor. Everything after Ape Escape 2 just isn't that good at all, especially when compared to SCEA's masterpiece! Can't touch Crash Bandicoot 2 though... Well, okay, it can touch it, but that's all it can do to it.

Around the Network

I haven't played any of these, but they have AE3 on ebay brand new for $10. Thing I should pick it up? I love platformers, esp. Mario and Jak.

konnichiwa said:
I hated it the first time when I played it.

Serious I was so mad!!

It was a cold winterday close to Christmas and I got the game. I put the game into my PS ONE.

I start a new game and after watching the intro I want to walk but nothing happened...How hard I pressed on those cursors the character didn't moved.

I was so mad then I just had the PS One for a month or 4 and the controller was already broke..

I didn't touched my PS ONE for a whole week..Then I found out that you can't move the character with the cursors but only with the analog stick..

Oh man I was so dump then..

Haha, I had something somewhat similar happen to me. I wanted to play the game so bad but the character wouldn't move. I didn't have a dualshock controller!

Thankfully it was a demo, and not the full game.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I only played the one on PS1, it was my favourite game back then and is still high on my list. The controls were so great...so fun catching those monkeys.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Anyways, Ape Escape on the PS1 was the best, and not because it was made by SCEA, but because it just worked better than its successors. When Ubisoft took over the franchise to create Ape Escape 2 on the PS2, it was good, but not as good as its predecessor. Everything after Ape Escape 2 just isn't that good at all, especially when compared to SCEA's masterpiece! Can't touch Crash Bandicoot 2 though... Well, okay, it can touch it, but that's all it can do to it.
Sorry, but that's incorrect.  Ubisoft didn't "take over" the franchise with Ape Escape 2, they simply handled the localization and publishing for the North American release (and only in that region).  The game itself, as well as the other main games in the series, were all developed by SCEI.  Publishing duties for Ape Escape 3 in North America were once again handled by SCEA.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
I haven't played any of these, but they have AE3 on ebay brand new for $10. Thing I should pick it up? I love platformers, esp. Mario and Jak.

yeah definetly get them.

I played the PS1 game through to the end and loved it, it was one of the few Ps1 games that didnt feel like crap after playing SM64.

The other PS2 ones i have played briefly and seem to be as good but I dont have the same amount of time to play games anymore.

The PSP mini game one was rubbish though, people should avoid that if theyre looking for an Ape Escape game.

There was a japanese only one (i think) that was distictly different which involved using a hoover to suck the monkeys pants off, causing them to run off in embarrassment. I wonder if that theme was deemed unfit for the west? 

HOLY SHIT! YEEEES! One of my MOST WANTED games on the PS3!

Surfer girl better not be messing with us Ape Escape fans, or she's gonna have hell to pay! I still think the original is the best of the entire series.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

CDiablo said:
leo-j said:
Sadly I have not bought it on the psp, BEATS and ape escape should be coming out this week on the psp store. BEATS is the most innovative handheld game ever created.

Boy did you set me up for a letdown.....I immediatly googled beats,and it looks pretty dry. I like the idea of unlimited replayibility. I dont like rythim games too much though (I do like DDR, and it is okay to laugh) but just pressing buttons to beats seems boring. I dont think it will do too well with the GH crowd cause it doesnt make you feel like a rockstar. Either way, I do hope it does ok sales cause it is a vast different game than a majority of PSP titles.

Than go and read the PSPfanboy impressions about the game ... it could be the new Luminees ... ( inovation wise ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

ZOMG! Ape Escape 4 AAAA CONFIRMED!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you