By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I h8 the Wiimote BUT...

You hate the Wiimote....what did it do to you? Beat you up and take your lunch money?

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network
Mistershine said:
I don't like the split design of the wiimote because I'm left handed, and can't get used to using the nunchuck in my right hand.

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but the nunchuk is perfectly symmetrical as far as I can see. Therefore, any problem must lie with your hands or hand control! Correct me if I'm wrong...

EDIT- BTW, just found this in a review at amazon:

"A lefty's dream!

I am sure all you left handers out there that have bought the Wii and used the Nunchuk know what I'm saying! For those lefties that haven't yet, well all those years with having the main motion control under the left thumb are over! We can now have it where it belongs and let the dominant hand push some buttons!"

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Mistershine said:
I don't like the split design of the wiimote because I'm left handed, and can't get used to using the nunchuck in my right hand.

I know this may sound TOTALLY CRAZY and all... but have you considered holding it in your left hand and holding the wiimote in your right hand?

I can honestly understand where you're coming from, since the Wiimote is your targeting system, you want that in your dominant hand, but you've been playing video games so that the main joystick is under your left thumb, but it may be easier to learn to use the Wiimote in your right hand than to use the joystick with your right thumb.

Try it out and see what works, I know a lot of people who are left handed, but still use the mouse with their right hand, and the Wiimote is essentially a high tech air mouse.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
Mistershine said:

I know this may sound TOTALLY CRAZY and all... but have you considered holding it in your left hand and holding the wiimote in your right hand?

I can honestly understand where you're coming from, since the Wiimote is your targeting system, you want that in your dominant hand, but you've been playing video games so that the main joystick is under your left thumb, but it may be easier to learn to use the Wiimote in your right hand than to use the joystick with your right thumb.

Try it out and see what works, I know a lot of people who are left handed, but still use the mouse with their right hand, and the Wiimote is essentially a high tech air mouse.

The actual wiimote part is fine. I can play wii sports and things like that, but I have serious issues using my right hand for anything other than keeping my blood from pouring out of my wrist. Its like I am so left handed that my right hand motor skills have become almost nonexistent.

I don't think you can say Wiis are crap because you don't like the control scheme. If they were crap they wouldn't work so well. So if you must be in a club why not be in the I don't like Wii because I don't like innovation club.

Around the Network

People have a tendency to hate new things, or things they don't understand. It's human nature.

Mistershine said:

The actual wiimote part is fine. I can play wii sports and things like that, but I have serious issues using my right hand for anything other than keeping my blood from pouring out of my wrist. Its like I am so left handed that my right hand motor skills have become almost nonexistent.

how the heck do you use a regular controller then?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

TheBigFatJ said:
People have a tendency to hate new things, or things they don't understand. It's human nature.
Its true.  My parents hated me when I was born.  Now they strongly dislike. 

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

"I don't like the split design of the wiimote because I'm left handed, and can't get used to using the nunchuck in my right hand."

Huh?

I'm left handed, and think the Wii is the first console in a long time that doesn't actually screw me over for that fact. I hold the Wii-Remote in my left, and the nunchuk in my right, and its the most natural feeling in the world.

I -love- that some games, like Wii sports, actually even let you set handedness. (And Wii sports in particular lets you set handedness per sport -- that's freaking awesome... because I do all sports left handed - except golf. (I grew up with only access to right handed clubs so I golf right handed).

That sort of left handed support should be -mandatory. Wii Carnival doesn't, and for a couple of the mini games where you are supposed to throw the ring like a frisbee for exampe... it just doesn't work for me. And if i swap the remote to the other hand... well I can't throw a frisbee right handed to save my life. So that event just sucks for me.

Rayman rabbids is another game where a couple events don't work. (The music ones for example, I aways have to remember to swap the nunchuk and remote because it assumes the nunchuk is the left 'spotlight' and the remote is the right 'spotlight'. At least its no big deal swapping them, its just annoying to remember to do, and the game would be a little more polished if it supported setting handedness.

/PC rant

On the PC, I use the mouse with my left, and bought one of those Ideazon Fangs for my right hand.

Why? Because I was sick to death of having to remap every single game I played. WASD is LOUSY for someone using their right hand. Some games would at least multi-map the arrow keys on the number pad to work, but they'd invariably leave crouch, jump, reload, etc only around the WASD...

Like whats the point of even letting you move with the numpad and then make you press Z to crouch? That's just unplayable. Anyhow, the fang is ambidextrous by design, and the movement keys map to WASD so I can pretty much play any game now without having to fight with the controls... Its a decent controller for anyone, but for lefties especially, it kicks ass. Highly recommended.

/end rant

I agree that game developers should give a lot more attention to left handed people. According to wikipedia, between 7% and 10% of the population is left handed. What kind of serious business can not give attention to 10% of their audience?? 10% is a lot.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957