By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VANQUISH DEMO Impressions thread (Is up on XBL..will be up on PSN soon)!

VANQUISH DEMO Impressions thread (Is up on XBL..will be up on PSN soon)!

0 -- DEMO SUCKED CROCODILES ASS! 22 8.98%

1 -- Should be called Failish not Vanquish 4 1.63%

2 -- Below Average...meh 12 4.90%

3 -- Decent demo...but no... 52 21.22%

4 -- Great demo! 93 37.96%

5 -- BEST DEMO EVAR! 62 25.31%

Total:245

I liked the demo and I had fun but it really isn't my type of game.  I would only play it for an hour or two so I don't think I am going to buy this game.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

People worried about the storyline in this are kind of missing the point. It would be like playing God Hand for its riveting narrative.

Yes I know but Vanquish is a 15 rated game (not sure what that is in the US), it just seems a bit childish and unoriginal (the story). It's no wonder videogames are still seen as a juvenile medium by many when it is capable of the likes of Bioshock or Half Life. I mean bad Russian guys is so Cold War mentality which apparently ended in 1990. SNES wasn't even released then.

Badassbab said:
Khuutra said:

People worried about the storyline in this are kind of missing the point. It would be like playing God Hand for its riveting narrative.

Yes I know but Vanquish is a 15 rated game (not sure what that is in the US), it just seems a bit childish and unoriginal (the story). It's no wonder videogames are still seen as a juvenile medium by many when it is capable of the likes of Bioshock or Half Life. I mean bad Russian guys is so Cold War mentality which apparently ended in 1990. SNES wasn't even released then.

Did you play God Hand?

Khuutra said:
Badassbab said:
Khuutra said:

Did you play God Hand?

Can't say I have. Did it also demonise 142 million Russians?

Badassbab said:
Khuutra said:

Did you play God Hand?

Can't say I have. Did it also demonise 142 million Russians?

No. It's a loving parody of/homage to kung fu movies and kung fu anime, particularly Fist of the North Star. It's by the same guy as Vanquish.

Vanquish isn't actualy meant to be taken seriously, and it's not saying that Russians are evil. It's a smirking parody of the Cold War era, meant to be taken with a wink and a laugh, as if to say "Look how silly this story is WATCH OUT GIANT ROBOTS". That's it.

Vanquish's plot is a joke. It doesn't actually demonize anything except for the mindset behind the cold war.

Around the Network

Oh I see, so it's a parody, ok my bad. I thought it's to help tie up the game with a semblance of a story.

Regardless, the concept of Russians as bad guys never really went away.  See the current film Salt for an example.  Or the game Freedom Fighters.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Wills et this to download after all my Dragon Age DLC has done.

alittle lack luster.. I wanted it to be more arcadry type shooter.. too much cover involved fro my taste but i still may give it a chance though.. other than the cover it was cool

Just downloaded it from PSN...

With the whole Bayonetta fiasco, I held my breath before I started playing. Was worried it was going to be a framey mess. But no. It was freakin' awesome. Anybody played both the X360 and PS3 version? How do they compare.