By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could the Wii remain dominant another five years?

Could the Wii remain dominant another five years?

Yes, no new console needed 75 33.94%

No, the competition will ... 146 66.06%

Total:221

I don't think any of the current consoles will be doing particularly well after another 2 years. I don't see the PS3 Wiimote or the Xbox Kinect really extending the life of the systems, but rather just giving them a 2-3 month boost which will settle back down  to where the system would otherwise be anyway. They're just add-ons; not new controllers that are compatible with everything.

Though if Nintendo gets their next machine out significantly before the PS4 and Xbox 4*, it isn't likely that Sony or Microsoft will do very well in the next generation. Nintendo already proved they are able to take the distant lead, and they're also proving they can gather heavy support with the new 3DS.

*I realize it is only the third Xbox, but Microsoft won't want to seem as though it is behind the PS4 numerically.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
jarrod said:

Eh, there's also arguably the most important 3rd party exclusive this gen coming to Wii still; Dragon Quest X.  There's also smaller 3rd party titles slated for next year you've missed, like Hudson's Lost in Shadow or THQ's de Blob: Underground (also on PS3/360, and also going to sell best on Wii, just to counterpoint).  Several licensed titles are also getting Wii versions next year, like The Avengers or Puss-N-Boots, and you can still expect the usual sports releases (Madden 2012, PES 2012, NHL 2K12, etc).

Of course the real drivers for Wii have always been 1st party, and there's already several big or notable games for next year in that regard (Zelda SS, Mario Sports Mix, western releases for Xenoblade & The Last Story).  As of now Wii seems on even keel, if not better, with PS3 or 360 for "outstanding exclusives" next year, the real problem is the comparable lack of multiplatform support.

As for Wii 2, 3DS is pretty much laying out Nintendo next gen gameplan... which seems to ensure the core gaming audience gets in early on their system.  Maybe they'll manage the sort of support that needs (like 3DS), maybe they won't, but it's clearly the path they're taking, to try and reconsolidate the market under them.  Wii 2 will follow 3DS much in the same way Wii followed DS, at least in terms of how Nintendo positions and handles them.  By the end of 2011, putting together a PS3/360-plus spec machine for $249 shouldn't be any issue either.

Bear in mind that no one has actually seen ever a screenshot of DQX yet, which can be explained in two ways : either the development of the game is at its very beginning and DQX would not be ready for 2011, or Square Enix is still considering other platforms.

As for exclusives, don't forget that every game releasing only on PS3/360 is exclusive compared to Wii (Medal of Honor is exclusive to HD console for example). And western release for Xenoblade and Last Story is far from certain. Tales of Graces has still not be announced for the West and wasn't shown at Gamescom. If ToG is not released in the West, there's little chance Xenoblade and Last Story (which are not part of a well known series like Tales of) would make it.

And finally, as I was saying in the 3DS thread, we have so far little information on what 3DS line up will be (in terms of core franchises, much of the projects announced are remakes of PS2/N64 games). The line-up needs to be far more convincing if Nintendo wants core gamers as early adopters (especially disappointed DS owners).

i really dont think they will, the experiances on wii will soon be replicated on ps3 and 360 and IF prices of ps3 andd 360 lower then it would be a case of whats the point getting a wii.

i still think wii will sell most this xmas, the console is percieved the cheapest and an easy buy for purchasers

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

ryuzaki57 said:
jarrod said:

Eh, there's also arguably the most important 3rd party exclusive this gen coming to Wii still; Dragon Quest X.  There's also smaller 3rd party titles slated for next year you've missed, like Hudson's Lost in Shadow or THQ's de Blob: Underground (also on PS3/360, and also going to sell best on Wii, just to counterpoint).  Several licensed titles are also getting Wii versions next year, like The Avengers or Puss-N-Boots, and you can still expect the usual sports releases (Madden 2012, PES 2012, NHL 2K12, etc).

Of course the real drivers for Wii have always been 1st party, and there's already several big or notable games for next year in that regard (Zelda SS, Mario Sports Mix, western releases for Xenoblade & The Last Story).  As of now Wii seems on even keel, if not better, with PS3 or 360 for "outstanding exclusives" next year, the real problem is the comparable lack of multiplatform support.

As for Wii 2, 3DS is pretty much laying out Nintendo next gen gameplan... which seems to ensure the core gaming audience gets in early on their system.  Maybe they'll manage the sort of support that needs (like 3DS), maybe they won't, but it's clearly the path they're taking, to try and reconsolidate the market under them.  Wii 2 will follow 3DS much in the same way Wii followed DS, at least in terms of how Nintendo positions and handles them.  By the end of 2011, putting together a PS3/360-plus spec machine for $249 shouldn't be any issue either.

Bear in mind that no one has actually seen ever a screenshot of DQX yet, which can be explained in two ways : either the development of the game is at its very beginning and DQX would not be ready for 2011, or Square Enix is still considering other platforms.

As for exclusives, don't forget that every game releasing only on PS3/360 is exclusive compared to Wii (Medal of Honor is exclusive to HD console for example). And western release for Xenoblade and Last Story is far from certain. Tales of Graces has still not be announced for the West and wasn't shown at Gamescom. If ToG is not released in the West, there's little chance Xenoblade and Last Story (which are not part of a well known series like Tales of) would make it.

And finally, as I was saying in the 3DS thread, we have so far little information on what 3DS line up will be (in terms of core franchises, much of the projects announced are remakes of PS2/N64 games). The line-up needs to be far more convincing if Nintendo wants core gamers as early adopters (especially disappointed DS owners).

Xenoblade and The Last Story have a far far better chance to be localised for the West than Tales of Graces due to the fact they are being published by Nintendo.  This gen, Nintendo has published loads of games I expected never to be released outside of Japan, examples being Disaster Day of Crisis, Jam with the Band, Brain Training.  I am 99% sure that TLS will be released here in Europe and about 75% for Xenoblade.

And don't forget the Wii is getting an IE game, which I expect to be massive in the West (Level-5 have announced their intention to release the DS games in the West) and considering how popular both Level-5 and football are here in the U.K it will surely do well.

And the Wii might be getting an exclusive SW game as well.

MrT-Tar said:

Xenoblade and The Last Story have a far far better chance to be localised for the West than Tales of Graces due to the fact they are being published by Nintendo.  This gen, Nintendo has published loads of games I expected never to be released outside of Japan, examples being Disaster Day of Crisis, Jam with the Band, Brain Training.  I am 99% sure that TLS will be released here in Europe and about 75% for Xenoblade.

And don't forget the Wii is getting an IE game, which I expect to be massive in the West (Level-5 have announced their intention to release the DS games in the West) and considering how popular both Level-5 and football are here in the U.K it will surely do well.

Yes, save that Nintendo can also edit third party games under their brand in the west (the best example being the game you're currently enjoying : DQIX). So if Nintendo didn't decide to support ToG as they did with Monster Hunter Tri for example, that would mean they don't have good expectations for this game in the West (and there're right seeing how Tales of Symphonia 2 and Crystal Bearers have flopped), and they surely will have the same reasoning for Xenoblade/The Last Story. Xenoblade has no chance to sell in the west (it didn't sell that much in Japan for starters) but The Last Story might if it's well advertised.

What do you mean by "IE game"?

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
MrT-Tar said:

Yes, save that Nintendo can also edit third party games under their brand in the west (the best example being the game you're currently enjoying : DQIX). So if Nintendo didn't decide to support ToG as they did with Monster Hunter Tri for example, that would mean they don't have good expectations for this game in the West (and there're right seeing how Tales of Symphonia 2 and Crystal Bearers have flopped), and they surely will have the same reasoning for Xenoblade/The Last Story. Xenoblade has no chance to sell in the west (it didn't sell that much in Japan for starters) but The Last Story might if it's well advertised.

What do you mean by "IE game"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inazuma_Eleven

Yeah, I should have made that clearer, Inazuma eleven is a sort of sports/RPG hybrid that has sold really well in Japan and will certainly in the West due to the popularity of football and Level-5 at least here in Europe (I personally think a lot of DQIX's sales come from it being advertised 'from the makers of Prof Layton').  There has been 3 DS games, with the lastest one released about 6 or 7 weeks ago in Japan and still high in the charts.  A Wii version has been announced, but not footage has been shown (but it most likely will be at TGS)

here are the sales for the series so far (keep in mind the 3rd hasn't been on the market for long)

Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryokusha(DS)
Unknown
0.00 1.16 0.00 1.16
Inazuma Eleven 3: Sekai e no Chousen!!(DS)
Unknown
0.00 0.78 0.00 0.78
Inazuma Eleven (DS)
Unknown
0.00 0.38 0.00 0.38

MrT-Tar said:

Yeah, I should have made that clearer, Inazuma eleven is a sort of sports/RPG hybrid that has sold really well in Japan and will certainly in the West due to the popularity of football and Level-5 at least here in Europe (I personally think a lot of DQIX's sales come from it being advertised 'from the makers of Prof Layton').  There has been 3 DS games, with the lastest one released about 6 or 7 weeks ago in Japan and still high in the charts.  A Wii version has been announced, but not footage has been shown (but it most likely will be at TGS)

here are the sales for the series so far (keep in mind the 3rd hasn't been on the market for long)

Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryokusha(DS)
Unknown
0.00 1.16 0.00 1.16
Inazuma Eleven 3: Sekai e no Chousen!!(DS)
Unknown
0.00 0.78 0.00 0.78
Inazuma Eleven (DS)
Unknown
0.00 0.38 0.00 0.38

I'm not sure... Even if Wii does get Inazuma Eleven, it still looks too childish to appeal to European football fans and too Japanese to appeal to casual gamers/families. I don't really see Nintendo publishing it in the west, but it would sure be an asset in the Japanese market.

I too think that at lot of DQIX sales come from being heavily advertised but why "from the makers of Prof. Layton". In France it wasn't marketed like that and Square Enix certainly did not make Prof Layton. Which ad campaign are you refering to?

ryuzaki57 said:
jarrod said:

There's also a third option for DQX; they just haven't shown it yet.  Yuji Hori's recent comments on the game when being questioned if it was still coming for Wii sort of confirm that (yes it's still coming and "sooner than you think" was more or less his reply).  If DQX did go elsewhere, it wouldn't be to a Sony or MS platform, that's for sure.

"HD exclusive" is neat little argument sidestepper; I was talking purely actual exclusives.  I even mentioned Wii's overall issue (missing the multiplats) but it's exclusive lineup for next year is more than competitive, it's arguably the best of the 3.  And what bearing does Tales have on TLS or Xenoblade? Xeno was already confirmed for America and TLS was already copyrighted as well.  Plus the fact that Tales was from Namco, not Nintendo... does the fact PS3 didn't have Vesperia brought over mean we're going to miss out on WKC2 and Ninokuni?

3DS has an insane amount of 3rd party franchises committed at this point.  Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Professor Layton, Pro Evo, Samurai/Dynasty Warriors, Ninja Gaiden, DOA, Power Pros, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Super Robot Taisen, Etrian Odyssey, SMT/Persona, Sonic, Monkey Ball, Harvest Moon, Saints Row, Contra, Naruto, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, A Boy and his Blob, de Blob, Gundam, Deca Sports, Kororinpa, DJ Hero, The Sims, a Harmonix music game, the usual EA Sports line... no we don't know how many will be remakes/ports, and yes the propensity for that is higher on handhelds, but so far only two are actually confirmed as later ports (SC Chaos Theory and SSF4) and at this stage in a platform's cycle, if it even has this much support that's not exactly unusual.  PS2 had plenty of ports itself upfront (DOA2 Hardcore notably).

MrT-Tar said:And don't forget the Wii is getting an IE game, which I expect to be massive in the West (Level-5 have announced their intention to release the DS games in the West) and considering how popular both Level-5 and football are here in the U.K it will surely do well.

Inazuma's going to be HUGE in the west (or Europe at least, the anime's already a hit in select markets), but yeah I left out IE Wii because (1) it's probably releasing in Japan this year, they're currently doing voice recording even according to Hino and (2) the west needs to catch up on DS IE games first, so I think the Wii title may end up 2012 if it follows series continuity.  

Of course on that second point, there's also the possibility that L5 just drops the DS trilogy and starts fresh with Inazuma Wii and Inazuma 4 (which is probably for 3DS).