By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Put your hands up if you think Valkyria Chronicles will be a million seller

Put your hands up if you think Valkyria Chronicles will be a million seller

Yes it will 64 51.61%

No it won't 21 16.94%

Only if Sega make VC3 for PS3 16 12.90%

Don't know 9 7.26%

Don't care 6 4.84%

None of the above / I like pie 8 6.45%

Total:124

The best game this generatin that won't sell 1 million is TWEWY imo. Then Demon Soul's. Then This. All of them deserve it

I don't think it will get to 1 million. but... if I wanted to look at data I could be convinced If I was way wrong in my guesses

how much has it sold in the last year?

Around the Network

It definatly deserves 1 million sales, but the PS3 original didn' even break 1 million, so I don't know...

I mean the game is selling about equally well on the PSP and the PS3 original did in Japan, but the original was largely popular in North America, and PSP is dying in North America.

I think it will break 500k, but quantity is by no measure of quality.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

kain_kusanagi said:

Resonance of Fate did poorly becuase it was mediocre. With multiplatform game engines so common and how cheaply and quickly ports can be done. There is no reason for a publisher to NOT port to everything the game can run on becuase the investment is small and it yield higher profit.

As for the notion that PS3 fans hype exclusives. That is rediculas. How can you suggest Yakusa would not have sold as much if it had been ported to PC and Xbox 360? YOu don't know the effect it would have had. I'm pretty sure it would have sold just as well on PS3 as it has and it would have sold additionaly on PC and Xbox 360. It would have cost little to port and increased sales. Only the extremely bias care about exclusives. Everyone else buys the games on the shelf without looking to see if it's a port or not.

3rd party exclusives are a thing of the past. For some reason Japanese developers and publishers think they can get away without supporting western markets. But some like Capcom and Square have realised that for the small cost of a port they can tap the rich Xbox 360 market in the west. FF13 may have sold more on PS2, but it only set records because it was on Xbox 360.

Apparently Yakuza 3 uses a PS3 only engine, so it pretty much would have been a Ninja Gaiden Sigma kind of port, and for an addititional 50k sales I don't think it would have been worth it. ;)

If the fanbase isn't to big for the franchise or it's niche in the west, they should keep just it one platform. Namco-Bandai realized that, and after 4-5 years in which the Tales of games have been released for practicly every platform it has become once again a PS-only franchise.

By the way, Xbox 360 fanbase has done the same thing in the past with exclusives like Metro 2033. Avarage game, pretty low-budget and the only reason that it got so much attention is because it was an exclusive.

i plan to help the game reach that mark in the near future

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Hero_time88 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Sega should have released it on 360 and PC in addition to PS3. At this point it doesn't make any sense for a 3rd party publisher to do PS3 exclusives.

For Japanese publishers who's games aren't that commercial it sure does

I for example don't see any point in Resonance of Fate for the 360 after the lackluster sales, and it probably would have sold more on the PS3 if had been an exclusive, because the fanbase would have hyped a lot more, like with Yakuza 3.

Resonance of Fate did poorly becuase it was mediocre. With multiplatform game engines so common and how cheaply and quickly ports can be done. There is no reason for a publisher to NOT port to everything the game can run on becuase the investment is small and it yield higher profit.

As for the notion that PS3 fans hype exclusives. That is rediculas. How can you suggest Yakusa would not have sold as much if it had been ported to PC and Xbox 360? YOu don't know the effect it would have had. I'm pretty sure it would have sold just as well on PS3 as it has and it would have sold additionaly on PC and Xbox 360. It would have cost little to port and increased sales. Only the extremely bias care about exclusives. Everyone else buys the games on the shelf without looking to see if it's a port or not.

3rd party exclusives are a thing of the past. For some reason Japanese developers and publishers think they can get away without supporting western markets. But some like Capcom and Square have realised that for the small cost of a port they can tap the rich Xbox 360 market in the west. FF13 may have sold more on PS2, but it only set records because it was on Xbox 360.

With the way Japanese games perform, particularly in Japan, it's hardly surprising that many of these 3rd parties opt for Wii or PS3 exclusivity. Those are the platforms that will carry the bulk of their sales. Why port to another system (which may end up being costly enough) without the guarantee of recouping the losses? And on another note, some 3rd parties would still rather optimize their games on one platform.

These are the very reasons MGS4, the main Yakuza series, Valkyria Chronicles and many other Japanese titles have remained exclusive to the Japanese platforms.

If Japanese developers think releasing those games in western markets is worth their while on PS3, than a cheap quick and easy port to Xbox 360 and PC is too. Final Fantasy 13 proved that.

MGS4 wasn't held way from Xbox 360 becuase Konami didn't think it was worth it, or becuase compressing the audio and textures to fit on 2 DVDs would be too much work. MGS4 was kept on PS3 becuase Hideo Kojima thinks MGS is a Playstation property and that the Playstation brand is a part of MGS's identity. I think he's wrong and Konami agree with me becuase when ever they can they try to spread it across other systems. MGS Rising will be multiplatform for all the reasons I've given.

Around the Network
binary solo said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=18897 currently sitting at 931 and a bit K

I was sort of thinking about doing a thread asking people what they think is the best game this gen that won't sell 1 million. I, of course, was going to say Valkyria Chronicles. But what do I see when I go to the game page? >900K. That means it is a possible million seller.

So I abandoned that thread for this one instead.

What do you reckon?

It certainly deserves 1 million in sales; it deserves 2 million IMO.

i thought it had already been adjusted down,i seem to remeber a thread about it

it says 688,000 on the wekkly sales thread but 900,000 on the game page

they don't always seem to update the game pages,but maybe i'm wrong

Above & Beyond

CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Hero_time88 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Sega should have released it on 360 and PC in addition to PS3. At this point it doesn't make any sense for a 3rd party publisher to do PS3 exclusives.

For Japanese publishers who's games aren't that commercial it sure does

I for example don't see any point in Resonance of Fate for the 360 after the lackluster sales, and it probably would have sold more on the PS3 if had been an exclusive, because the fanbase would have hyped a lot more, like with Yakuza 3.

With the way Japanese games perform, particularly in Japan, it's hardly surprising that many of these 3rd parties opt for Wii or PS3 exclusivity. Those are the platforms that will carry the bulk of their sales. Why port to another system (which may end up being costly enough) without the guarantee of recouping the losses? And on another note, some 3rd parties would still rather optimize their games on one platform.

These are the very reasons MGS4, the main Yakuza series, Valkyria Chronicles and many other Japanese titles have remained exclusive to the Japanese platforms.

If Japanese developers think releasing those games in western markets is worth their while on PS3, than a cheap quick and easy port to Xbox 360 and PC is too. Final Fantasy 13 proved that.

MGS4 wasn't held way from Xbox 360 becuase Konami didn't think it was worth it, or becuase compressing the audio and textures to fit on 2 DVDs would be too much work. MGS4 was kept on PS3 becuase Hideo Kojima thinks MGS is a Playstation property and that the Playstation brand is a part of MGS's identity. I think he's wrong and Konami agree with me becuase when ever they can they try to spread it across other systems. MGS Rising will be multiplatform for all the reasons I've given.

I think you have things a little misguided. Final Fantasy XIII proved it wasn't quick nor easy to port over. Even though the sales were good, the final product proved that there were still many unresolved issues. And no matter how good the sales were, they didn't really expand the audience, which is the goal when going multiplatform.

Also, MGS4 was exclusive for just the reason I said it was. Yes, he wanted to keep it with just the PlayStation for identity reasons (if you knew the full story, you'd know it wasn't just about the IP, but mainly Solid Snake himself), but also because he wanted to optimize solely on one platform (something he said several times during it's development).

But back to my original point, Japanese games will continue (in many cases) to remain with Japanese consoles for the reasons I've stated.

Well than I guess we are at an impass so we will just have to agree to disagree. I find this is the best way to keep from arguing in circles.

zuvuyeay said:
binary solo said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=18897 currently sitting at 931 and a bit K

I was sort of thinking about doing a thread asking people what they think is the best game this gen that won't sell 1 million. I, of course, was going to say Valkyria Chronicles. But what do I see when I go to the game page? >900K. That means it is a possible million seller.

So I abandoned that thread for this one instead.

What do you reckon?

It certainly deserves 1 million in sales; it deserves 2 million IMO.

i thought it had already been adjusted down,i seem to remeber a thread about it

it says 688,000 on the wekkly sales thread but 900,000 on the game page

they don't always seem to update the game pages,but maybe i'm wrong

The number quoted as worldwide on the weekly sales thread is exactly Americas plus EMEAA. Japan isn't included in the total for whatever reason.

Hero_time88 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Apparently Yakuza 3 uses a PS3 only engine, so it pretty much would have been a Ninja Gaiden Sigma kind of port, and for an addititional 50k sales I don't think it would have been worth it. ;)

If the fanbase isn't to big for the franchise or it's niche in the west, they should keep just it one platform. Namco-Bandai realized that, and after 4-5 years in which the Tales of games have been released for practicly every platform it has become once again a PS-only franchise.

By the way, Xbox 360 fanbase has done the same thing in the past with exclusives like Metro 2033. Avarage game, pretty low-budget and the only reason that it got so much attention is because it was an exclusive.

Metro is still pretty good I have seen some people defending x360 with arguments that Sniper Ghost Warrior will be console exclusive :D

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

darthdevidem01 said:

Hopefully

And I think SO4 will be too

so 3 console JRPG's will be million sellers then!

Don't forget Super Paper Mario,

it's a JRPG, just a bastardised and slightly disappointing one