By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The great obesity debate.

haxxiy said:
Kasz216 said:
haxxiy said:

I blame the prices for America's obesity.

You go to a McDonald's and the salad is like five bucks. For much less you can get a cheeseburger with fries. Not only that, Coca Cola is cheaper than bottled water!

Couple it with genetics favoring stocky people and you see most things are definitely not helping it.

In MCDONALDS.

In a regular Supermarkets hamburgers are WAY more expensive then salads... and Soda is 2-3 times as expensive as Water.

Most people, specially the young ones already working, don't have enough time for supermarkets.

It's all about McDonald's or BK for lunch and a Pizza or Cup Noodles for dinner. At least in the southern states like Florida or Lousiana which I know the best. 

Oh that's just being lazy.  The money you save on fast food you pay for later with liposuction, gastric bypass surgery, diabetes, heart disease, and dying 30 years younger than people who know what they're eating.

Think of it this way: every single process that goes on in your body uses your food as energy.  You put shit fuel in, you get shit performance out.  You get fat, lazy, and sick because you don't even know what you're eating, and when confronted with evidence that what you're eating is poison, you convince yourself that "it's no big deal."  But one day... it will be.  And it'll be too late.

I work a crappy job, go to school on the side, do homework, and write at VGChartz, but I still make time to shop at a few different healthy supermarkets and the local farmer's market.  I can make a salad that's cheaper and healthier than anything at McDonald's, and doesn't have high fructose corn syrup or GMOs.

And a cup of noodles for dinner?  That's basically a cup of fat and sodium without any real nutritional value.  If you ate 20 of those in a row you'd probably STARVE TO DEATH.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-cup-noodles-ramen-noodle-i6582

Around the Network

Quick, easy, cheap and delicious Japanese ramen: A good instant miso soup (check ingrediants list) or homemade, choice of meat (fav. large prawns) and/or tofu, plenty of veg and ramen noodles. Done in about 10 minutes! Hearty and healthy.

It's much better than cup noodles, sure it costs a bit more (still inexpensive, about £4.85 for two, ~£2.43 per person)  but it fills you up, it's good for you and it's super delicious.

Oh and AGAIN, a meal cheaper than Mc Donalds! Do I need to provide more meal examples that cost less or has the point being proven?

BTW, if you haven't much time, nowadays even hard discounts offer bags of a vast variety of washed salads, ready to season as you want and at a lower price than buying a ready salad at Mc Donald's. Cherry tomatoes, young carrots, fennel and celery are often even good just washed and eaten withot any seasoning.  You can season salad Italian style, just extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and salt, or instead of buying high-fat salad dressing, prepare by yourself an healthier one with water, little oil, mustard, low-fat yoghurt and the herbs and seasonings you like, if you include some vinegar it can last some days in the fridge after preparing. If green salad is a too "sad" food for your tastes, choose mixes, add tastier and crunchier but low-fat ingredients like celery or caleriac, carrots, fennel, radish, young green onions, even sliced orange, apple, kiwi, etc. Fennel and orange salad is a typical recipe from Sicily, very tasty and rich in minerals and vitamins and low in calories.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The Ghost of RubangB said:
haxxiy said:
Kasz216 said:
haxxiy said:

I blame the prices for America's obesity.

You go to a McDonald's and the salad is like five bucks. For much less you can get a cheeseburger with fries. Not only that, Coca Cola is cheaper than bottled water!

Couple it with genetics favoring stocky people and you see most things are definitely not helping it.

In MCDONALDS.

In a regular Supermarkets hamburgers are WAY more expensive then salads... and Soda is 2-3 times as expensive as Water.

Most people, specially the young ones already working, don't have enough time for supermarkets.

It's all about McDonald's or BK for lunch and a Pizza or Cup Noodles for dinner. At least in the southern states like Florida or Lousiana which I know the best. 

Oh that's just being lazy.  The money you save on fast food you pay for later with liposuction, gastric bypass surgery, diabetes, heart disease, and dying 30 years younger than people who know what they're eating.

Think of it this way: every single process that goes on in your body uses your food as energy.  You put shit fuel in, you get shit performance out.  You get fat, lazy, and sick because you don't even know what you're eating, and when confronted with evidence that what you're eating is poison, you convince yourself that "it's no big deal."  But one day... it will be.  And it'll be too late.

I work a crappy job, go to school on the side, do homework, and write at VGChartz, but I still make time to shop at a few different healthy supermarkets and the local farmer's market.  I can make a salad that's cheaper and healthier than anything at McDonald's, and doesn't have high fructose corn syrup or GMOs.

And a cup of noodles for dinner?  That's basically a cup of fat and sodium without any real nutritional value.  If you ate 20 of those in a row you'd probably STARVE TO DEATH.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-cup-noodles-ramen-noodle-i6582

Yeah... it really doesn't take much time to go to a supermarket.  Hell, I'd gurantee it takes less time to go to one supermarket then it does going to Mcdonalds for every meal.

Unless you like... live above a Mcdonalds or Subway or something.   That's how Jared lost all that weight ironically.  He lived directly above a subway and they didn't have a bus route near him so he had to walk to college every day.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

BTW, if you haven't much time, nowadays even hard discounts offer bags of a vast variety of washed salads, ready to season as you want and at a lower price than buying a ready salad at Mc Donald's. Cherry tomatoes, young carrots, fennel and celery are often even good just washed and eaten withot any seasoning.  You can season salad Italian style, just extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and salt, or instead of buying high-fat salad dressing, prepare by yourself an healthier one with water, little oil, mustard, low-fat yoghurt and the herbs and seasonings you like, if you include some vinegar it can last some days in the fridge after preparing. If green salad is a too "sad" food for your tastes, choose mixes, add tastier and crunchier but low-fat ingredients like celery or caleriac, carrots, fennel, radish, young green onions, even sliced orange, apple, kiwi, etc. Fennel and orange salad is a typical recipe from Sicily, very tasty and rich in minerals and vitamins and low in calories.

I agree with this post 90%. The other 10% concerns celery. Celery is the work of Lucifer himself. It's the one food that manages to ruin everything - the one exception being ketchup. Ketchup must contain a very small amount of celery to keep it balanced enough to stay in our realm. If there was no celery in ketchup, then it would be limited to the gods themselves.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I agree with this post 90%. The other 10% concerns celery. Celery is the work of Lucifer himself. It's the one food that manages to ruin everything - the one exception being ketchup. Ketchup must contain a very small amount of celery to keep it balanced enough to stay in our realm. If there was no celery in ketchup, then it would be limited to the gods themselves.

See... I like celery... when it's good.  The problem is... it's almost NEVER good.  It's hard to get good celery... it's always waaaay too stringy.

Kasz216 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

See... I like celery... when it's good.  The problem is... it's almost NEVER good.  It's hard to get good celery... it's always waaaay too stringy.

Agree. Here in Genoa celery is often awful, while in Rome it's almost always excellent (actually in Rome most vegetables normally range from good to excellent).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I thought I would revive this thread with a question to see people’s opinions on a hypothesis I’ve been developing over the past little while ...

A little over a decade ago, when I was 19 years old, I lost (roughly) 90 pounds and I have mostly kept it off since then. At the time I didn’t follow any structured diet program, and my focus was on eating what I thought was a more appropriate portion size and paying attention to the signals my body was telling me about how I should eat. Over the years I have periodically put back on some of the weight and tried a variety of different methods to take it off with varying results.Recently (as in over the past few years) I have had a growing interest in nutrition in general and I decided to return to the root of my weight loss and focus on listening to my body and eating appropriately; and I have achieved a level of success that has always eluded me.

My hypothesis is that conventional diets do not work; and the reason why the dieting is still so heavily promoted is because the weight-loss industry is big business (over $40 Billion per year) and there isn’t much money in telling people to pay more attention to what their body is telling them.

^^

Good points, and not unlikely, as it's for example quite known that sugar is used by food industries to create dependency, even at expense of consumers' health...

HappySqurriel said:

I thought I would revive this thread with a question to see people’s opinions on a hypothesis I’ve been developing over the past little while ...

A little over a decade ago, when I was 19 years old, I lost (roughly) 90 pounds and I have mostly kept it off since then. At the time I didn’t follow any structured diet program, and my focus was on eating what I thought was a more appropriate portion size and paying attention to the signals my body was telling me about how I should eat. Over the years I have periodically put back on some of the weight and tried a variety of different methods to take it off with varying results.Recently (as in over the past few years) I have had a growing interest in nutrition in general and I decided to return to the root of my weight loss and focus on listening to my body and eating appropriately; and I have achieved a level of success that has always eluded me.

My hypothesis is that conventional diets do not work; and the reason why the dieting is still so heavily promoted is because the weight-loss industry is big business (over $40 Billion per year) and there isn’t much money in telling people to pay more attention to what their body is telling them.

You're right of course.

Are you over-weight now squirl?