By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The great obesity debate.

I actually kno a couple that can't physically have sex anymore because their big bellies get in the way.  Moral of the story - (if you can) have more sex = less obesity. 

Around the Network

How come I keep posting comments and they dont show up

<table style="width: 90%;" border="0"><tr><td><strong>mrstickball said:</strong><br /><table style="width: 90%;" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td><strong>oldschoolfool said:</strong><br> <table style="width: 90%;" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td><strong>Kasz216 said:</strong><br> <p>Eating healthy costing more is a myth.</p> <p>It's not because of money that people don't eat healthy.  It's time.</p> <p>Well and lifestyle.</p> <p>When you spend 40 hours a week working a shitty job, the last thing you wanna do is spend another 5-10 hours cooking on top of your other chores.</p> <p>As for doing something about it... the simple answer is.  We shouldn't. </p> <p>People should have the right to get as fat as they want too... it's their lives they're screwing with.  The government shouldn't try and coax them into being healthy, outside of informing them of the problems with their bad lifestyles and possibly removing laws that restrict what someone can do with weight based issues.</p> <p>Afterall if you can't charge someone based on weight on a plane, or for healthcare, or even pay the same to people who live unhealthy (vs it being genetic) in welfare plans... then it's costing everybody instead of just the person who is that weight like it should.</p> <p>Of course it's easy for me to say, considering i don't live as healthy as i should, but still stay thin.</p> <p>Either way... nobody should be stopped from making any bad health or life choices they want to make, but at the same time, said effects should lay mostly if not completely on them.</p> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <p><a class="link" href="http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/a-high-price-for-healthy-food/" target="_blank"></a><a href="http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/a-high-price-for-healthy-food/" target="_blank" class="link">http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/a-high-price-for-healthy-food/</a> ------It's not a myth.<br><br></p> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <p>...Did you read the article? It was a horribly-written article. They analyzed cost per calorie of junk food vs. healthy food. Which one do you think would come out as being cheaper per calorie?</p> <p>The real discussion on cost of healthy vs. junk food would be to make about 2-3 dozen meals using healthy means, and unhealthy means. I think you'd find that the cost is very similar. Of course, the healthy meals would have less calories - that the point of a healthy meal...To fill you up using low-caloric foods.</p></td></tr></table><br /><br />

Obese people (aka fat-asses) should have to pay for 2 seats on an airplane IMO. I sat next to an obese person (aka fat-ass) on my flight to Florida last spring and his belly fat was hanging so far over into my seat I couldn't use the armrest and I could barely even get my seatbelt done up.

I have no problem if obese people (aka fat-asses) want to ruin their lives and be unhealthy but it shouldn't have to have a negative impact on people who choose to eat right and exercise and be thin.

Around the Network

I just devised another theory (and posted it on the wrong thread and let it there for hours before realizing ): while fundamentalist terrorists distract public attention with resounding attacks, their billionaire sponsors stealthily kill many more Americans investing in fast and junk food. The perfect crime, and it pays princely too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Since I didn’t have time this morning, I just want to go into a little more depth on the "Eating healthy is expensive" half-truth ...

First off, even if you assume that eating healthy well balanced meals is expensive that does not mean that losing weight is expensive. The reason for this is simple, losing weight is simply the result of generating a caloric deficit which can be accomplished regardless of the nutritional quality of the food being eaten. Basically, you can eat the exact same things you’re currently eating and lose weight if you limit the portions enough and burn off enough calories through exercise.

With that said, eating a nutritionally balanced diet is not expensive. The reason why so many people are confused and believe this is because what they envision as eating healthy is the classical “rich person” diet; but this is hardly the only way an individual can achieve decent nutrition. A brief explanation of what I mean by this, most of the fancy foods we associate with classy eating today are actually variations of what the poor ate a couple of centuries ago, because the sauces and seasonings were what the poor used to mask the flavour of spoiled food; and the rich generally ate fresh simply prepared foods because they were the only individuals who could afford them. The poor were able to avert malnutrition because the majority of their diet was made up of staple foods; which are generally foods that are high in nutritional value, easy and inexpensive to cultivate, and are amazingly easy to store for long periods of time.

If you learn how to cook with dried beans and legumes, root vegetables, the squash family, frozen (mostly unprepared) foods, canned (mostly unprepared) foods, eggs, milk and dairy and supplement your diet with some fresh fruits, meat and vegetables I suspect that you will be able to eat far better for far less than you currently are. Even the high calorie/low nutrition foods that make up a lot of people’s current diet can be a part of a healthy diet if they are included in moderation.

HappySqurriel said:

If you learn how to cook with dried beans and legumes, root vegetables, the squash family, frozen (mostly unprepared) foods, canned (mostly unprepared) foods, eggs, milk and dairy and supplement your diet with some fresh fruits, meat and vegetables I suspect that you will be able to eat far better for far less than you currently are. Even the high calorie/low nutrition foods that make up a lot of people’s current diet can be a part of a healthy diet if they are included in moderation.

I agree 100% with this paragraph, the focus people have with "cheap and easy to get fast food" it is more a "cultural choice" than a real fact. The main problem is that kids are taught from the very beginning to eat fast-food and it is very hard to change later that behavior.

I m not part of those kids, but i found many times "boring" to eat the salad / fruits cause "they are not tasteful", however, i still eat them cause i know they are highly nutritive.

The fast-food is very tasteful, but i try to eat it no more than once a month, it is as easy as realizing you are doing harm to yourself when buying this things.

You may find a mirror trying to find the other side of the world

you know whats interesting...how less appealing "bad" food tastes if you havent had any in a while.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I guess I'm quite lucky for actually liking the taste of salads and fruits, although I don't get along with the beans family; also for preferring stuff like almonds/walnuts to snacks like crisps, and a nice sandwich to a burger...

It's partly a way of growing/generation thing though. Cheap and fast food isn't all that cheap indeed, like others mentioned; my parents wouldn't have been able to feed two boys if they would buy prepared food.
And at college I spent about 100-150 euro per month on food, that wouldn't be enough for a decent meal once a day at a place like McDonald's.