By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Months Have Passed, Dust Settled; Rate FFXIII!

Months Have Passed, Dust Settled; Rate FFXIII!

Best game ever! 12 3.51%

Best FF game ever! 21 6.14%

Good, but not my favorite FF game. 114 33.33%

Decent, but lots of better RPGs out there. 88 25.73%

Bad. It isn't enjoyable. 48 14.04%

Awful. A waste of money and time. 59 17.25%

Total:342
Chrizum said:
thelifatree said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:
A Bad Clown said:

Lol at all the amazings, I thought it was fun then slowly I realized everything was just the same. Cutscene, Grind, Run past eneimes,Mini-Boss, run past enemies, Custscene, Boss. Repeat.

...that's THE common patern in JRPGs.

No it isn't. Play Opoona, Golden Sun, Secret of Mana, etc.

Play all FFs (other than FF11 of course) and all Dragon Quest and all SMT and most JRPGs actually and you'll see that they all have a similar structure.

I said the "common" patern, not the only patern.

Yeah, I edited my post a few minutes ago. Just because it's common doesn't mean it's good. In fact, it only reinstates the fact FFXIII is nothing new, just a bare bones JRPG stripped down to a boring mess.

except for the ones he listed FF, DQ, and SMT are some of the most highly regarded among JRPG fans

Old FFs and all DQs are not boring linear and townless grind fests. That only belongs to the run of the mill JRPGs, like FFXIII

Actually, DQIV was chapter based, and most of the chapters until the last one, was a linear experience (going from town A to town B with a set group of characters, complete objective and then move on to next chapter).

Only difference was that the linear experience also had an overworld map to it, but it was pretty much linear.

And every DQ is a grind fest. Heck, the entire DQ series was built upon the grinding method. That's what makes it one of the best series in all RPG.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
chocoloco said:
Boutros said:
Acevil said:
Boutros said:
chocoloco said:
Wagram said:
chocoloco said:

The RPG that will make you give up on RPGs. Yes all say it again in every thread that asks.

Nah. That's Fable. I can't even believe I paid money for that garbage. I will actually pay someone to get it out of my house. I'll throw in the 2nd for free.

Anyways. It's a great RPG and FF game. But it isn't my favorite and there are better RPGs out there.

Dude, I am glad we agree I hate fable with a passion too!!! The gamplay was so simple. Also I should correct my statement I meant the game that will make you quite JRPGS.

I might as well throw in my opinion here.

Fable is the best WRPG I have ever played and one of the best game last gen.

Guess you haven't played Witcher yet. 

As for this thread: Decent, but lots of better RPGs out there

I played a lot of WRPGs. Fable is still on top.

Bro, it is a fact that the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion tops that game any day. Just try to prove me wrong!!!: :)

I can't do that as I loved Oblivion (2nd favorite). The difference between both is simply that I played Fable first.

When it first came out, i was really hacked off at all the hard work SE team 1 put into it, only to be slated by ppl like ign, who give every shooter that comes out a near perfect score. no offense to ppl who like MW2, i havent played MW2, but i dont think a game that has a 4 hour long campagin deserves a near perfect score.

but after a few months, imo its the worst FF in recent entries of the main series, and has suffered from awful design choices. its an okay game, maybe even a good game by this gens standards but its just not a Final Fantasy game as we know it. i know ppl might not agree with me, but i dont think Sakaguchi would have ever let something like this hit the shevles. i think you just need to look at the Last Story for that. but anyway, SE really need to think about the direction the series is going... 'Serah says so'...

Good, but not my favorite FF game.In the top 3 jrpg's i played this year

lestatdark said:
Chrizum said:
thelifatree said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:
A Bad Clown said:

Lol at all the amazings, I thought it was fun then slowly I realized everything was just the same. Cutscene, Grind, Run past eneimes,Mini-Boss, run past enemies, Custscene, Boss. Repeat.

Play all FFs (other than FF11 of course) and all Dragon Quest and all SMT and most JRPGs actually and you'll see that they all have a similar structure.

Yeah, I edited my post a few minutes ago. Just because it's common doesn't mean it's good. In fact, it only reinstates the fact FFXIII is nothing new, just a bare bones JRPG stripped down to a boring mess.

except for the ones he listed FF, DQ, and SMT are some of the most highly regarded among JRPG fans

Old FFs and all DQs are not boring linear and townless grind fests. That only belongs to the run of the mill JRPGs, like FFXIII

Actually, DQIV was chapter based, and most of the chapters until the last one, was a linear experience (going from town A to town B with a set group of characters, complete objective and then move on to next chapter).

Only difference was that the linear experience also had an overworld map to it, but it was pretty much linear.

And every DQ is a grind fest. Heck, the entire DQ series was built upon the grinding method. That's what makes it one of the best series in all RPG.

Yes, DQ are grindfests, but not boring, linear (as in, almost on-rails like FFXIII) and without any towns. FFXIII is almost unique in this, but not in a good way. It doesn't have any depth or surprises, no sense of connection, and to top it it's extremely cheesy and unoriginal. It's the worst JRPG I know.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
thelifatree said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:

I mean... uhh... Townless Grindfests are called dungeon crawlers not run of the mill JRPG's though they could still be run of the mill JRPG's. But to call townless grindfests in general a run of the mill JRPG is not really correct.

... which tbh FFXIII kind of is a dungeon crawler. Except that it has towns just not in the traditional sense. uhh :P

Chrizum said:
lestatdark said:
Chrizum said:

Yes, DQ are grindfests, but not boring, linear (as in, almost on-rails like FFXIII) and without any towns. FFXIII is almost unique in this, but not in a good way. It doesn't have any depth or surprises, no sense of connection, and to top it it's extremely cheesy and unoriginal. It's the worst JRPG I know.

It has towns. Just not traditional JRPG ones. Quit saying there are no towns. Because there are. You can not like the way they did towns. That's fine, but to say there is no towns is not true.

If you want a plethora of towns play TWEWY the whole thing is a town. Or Lost Odyssey, which is good game and is a town fest. If you have played those good for you.

thelifatree said:
Chrizum said:
thelifatree said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:

I mean... uhh... Townless Grindfests are called dungeon crawlers not run of the mill JRPG's
... which tbh FFXIII kind of is a dungeon crawler. Except that it has towns just not in the traditional sense. uhh :P

Well, I can agree with that. Dungeon Crawlers are, mostly, run of the mill games to me.

Chrizum said:
lestatdark said:
Chrizum said:
thelifatree said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:
A Bad Clown said:

Well, I disagree with you in some points, but I guess that all boils down to personal interpretation of the game itself. To me, FFXIII had a nice story with some good back-lore, especially once you get down into Pulse.

Probably it was not as well implemented on previous FFs, but to me, it was good nonetheless. 

And yeah, DQ grinding is pretty good and fun, mainly because there's something unique about DQ's battle system, in a way that most battles have unexpected turn-arounds to them.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Chrizum said:

Damn, you really didnt like the fact there was no "town". When it comes to depth and originality I think there are far worst jRPGs out there. Between, what do you mean by sense of connection? I think it was easy to connect with the characters and their feelings thanks to lots of lenghty cut scene, more than most jRPGs.