By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2006 Vs 2007 - Holiday Performances Thus far

sqrl - are you going to update this as the missing Wii and PS3 weeks goes by?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
rocketpig said:
Shocking that the Wii and PS3 are selling far more now that they're not nearly as supply-constrained. Absolutely shocking.

Common sense, people. Just as the 360 improved several fold in 2006 over its 2005 numbers, the PS3 and Wii are doing the same in 07 over their 06 numbers.

I added the '06 vs '05 (360) version of the table for comparison~

I wasn't knocking your charts, they're actually quite interesting. I was just poking fun at the people who seemed to be shocked that the Wii and PS3 had huge gains while the 360 gains were minimal. To them, I reply:

Well, duh. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

ssj12 said:
sqrl - are you going to update this as the missing Wii and PS3 weeks goes by?

thats the plan, but feel free to bump it if I forget

To Each Man, Responsibility
rocketpig said:
Sqrl said:
rocketpig said:
Shocking that the Wii and PS3 are selling far more now that they're not nearly as supply-constrained. Absolutely shocking.

Common sense, people. Just as the 360 improved several fold in 2006 over its 2005 numbers, the PS3 and Wii are doing the same in 07 over their 06 numbers.

I added the '06 vs '05 (360) version of the table for comparison~

I wasn't knocking your charts, they're actually quite interesting. I was just poking fun at the people who seemed to be shocked that the Wii and PS3 had huge gains while the 360 gains were minimal. To them, I reply:

Well, duh.

I was actually adding that chart to give you the data that supports your point. 

And more importantly it does provide valid and important context as it provides at least something to compare against for gauging what is good, bad, normal, etc...  

Thanks sqrl, that's a useful table. Seeing as this week's Wii sales (640k) double last year's 360 sales in the same week (320k), you could take 360's 2006 figures for the remaining 4 weeks of the year and double them, and based on that the Wii could sell 3 M units in the remaining 4 weeks if only supply was there. Wow...

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

Updated the tables:

Some interesting things to note now:

360 - It appears to be on track to sell another 1.2-1.5m, which would put it right around the range I had last predicted if not a bit higher. This will mean a year over year increase for 360 Sales.

PS3 - Having already sold more during the '07 Holidays than the '06 the PS3 is looking a lot better this year than last. With that said, it is important to remember that last year the PS3 had tons of issues similar to the Wii and as a result it had a terrible first holiday, so an increase was expected...the amount of that increase is of course still in question and it will likely determine the amount of momentum that can be carried into the new year.

Wii - Well with its first holiday plagued by shortages the Wii was still able to post some decent numbers for last holiday, certainly better than most anticipated. Coming into the final stretch of this holiday it appears as if the Wii should easily beat its previous year's sales selling another 1.8 to 2.2m or so before the year is done. This will of course leave the Wii on the lower end of many predictions sitting at around 18-18.4m or so. Right about the lower end of my expectations if not a bit lower.

Feel free to write up your own interpretation of these updated numbers, but please make sure to do a bit of explaining and keep the discussion civil and preferably at an analytical level rather than a fanboy level.

Thanks~

Nice bit of work there :)

Good to see this site is still going 

If the 360 continue like that for the next 5 years
I'll be happy

I LOVE GIGGS said:
If the 360 continue like that for the next 5 years
I'll be happy

I would have to check the numbers to be sure but I believe the typical holiday trend is increases for the first 3 years followed by a slow decline until a replacement comes at which time it falls sharply.  Exceptions exist (see the PS2) but it is a fairly stable trend.

Yeah the fact that the PS3 wasn't released in Europe last year is definitely a big deal. The PS3 is doing almost half of it's sales in EU right now. If you compare only JP+US year over year, the increase is actually much more reasonable.