By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 19 - Game Thread

dtewi said:
Hephaestos said:

*groans*

WHY did you roleclaim!

Quoting this just for fun :p that's Dtewi writting scum on his face day 2... strangely no one saw that.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

Does anyone think it was unbalanced still ? 

First off, thanks for hosting, and I mean that.  What follows are some critiques I have, but don't let that detract from the hard work you did and the fun that we had playing.

I still think the game was too imbalanced.  I see why it might look otherwise at a casual glance: both sides have big powers, so it's all good, right?  Unfortunately, the five-person mafia has the invaluable ability to coordinate their powers and work as a team, whereas the town can not do the same. 

We saw this at work in this game:  the mafia could (and did) use their powers in tandem in a way that we could not.  I have to congratulate Nikells and myself (mostly myself; 2/2 baby!   Although shouldn't dtewi's powers have stopped my healing from transferring to hatmoza?) for preventing three deaths: otherwise, the game would have ended much sooner than it did and the town never would have had a chance.  It's also blind luck Khuutra was killed off early, and while I congratulate us for seeking out Squilliam early on he could have done inestimable damage while the rest of the mafia continued to do the same on its end.  Squilliam was doubly-dangerous, since a cop-driven mislynch would likely have resulted in a dead cop the next day. Moreover, several of the town's ability's had limitations, while neither the mafia nor Kratos did.

I also think the number of scum was a bit too high in light of the powers they got.  We started with seven anti-towns out of twenty players, which sounds appropriate, but that number could (and did) grow because of the potential cultist.  Having the would-be cult leader have three bites at the apple each night made it fairly likely that he would succeed unless he got killed off early, and since he was pro-town until the point of his conversion he was less likely to get killed off early.  Having there be a deputy cult leader was a real drag too; to be honest, it seems borderline mean, since the bigger threat from the cult comes from the paranoia it breeds rather than its killing power.  And it did indeed breed some paranoia.

I also don't think the scum should be permitted to become a bomb, let alone a bomb which takes out two of the people who voted for him.  It seems excessive that the mafia already gets to have TWO night-kills: having one of Kratos' powers take out two of the people who voted for him is overkill, especially since he knew he was a bomb and could thus pass word on to his fellow mafia that they should not be the first or last person to vote for him.  It was, in essence, a way for the mafia to take down two townies at the cost of one of its own, which is not a bad bargain.  Even worse, unless one of our vigilantes stuck around we had no other way to remove the threat, and our vigilantes both had limitations on their kills.

To summarize, it seems to me that the only reason this game was as close as it was was blind luck.  I think future games should scale back the power roles, and they should keep in mind that being able to communicate and coordinate privately is one of the most powerful abilities a faction can have.  I mean it when I say that I enjoyed the game, but I still think we can take some lessons from it to improve future games as well.

Once again, I didn't expect the day time vigilante, cop AND lie detector to die on day one. And hatmoza blew the chance to get a VERY powerful townie.

Oh and its my first time hosting. And dsister said that the mafia would be royally fucked when I set up the game with him, and he suggested some of the roles.

noname2200 said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

First off, thanks for hosting, and I mean that.  What follows are some critiques I have, but don't let that detract from the hard work you did and the fun that we had playing.

I still think the game was too imbalanced.  I see why it might look otherwise at a casual glance: both sides have big powers, so it's all good, right?  Unfortunately, the five-person mafia has the invaluable ability to coordinate their powers and work as a team, whereas the town can not do the same. 

We saw this at work in this game:  the mafia could (and did) use their powers in tandem in a way that we could not.  I have to congratulate Nikells and myself (mostly myself; 2/2 baby!   Although shouldn't dtewi's powers have stopped my healing from transferring to hatmoza?) for preventing three deaths: otherwise, the game would have ended much sooner than it did and the town never would have had a chance.  It's also blind luck Khuutra was killed off early, and while I congratulate us for seeking out Squilliam early on he could have done inestimable damage while the rest of the mafia continued to do the same on its end.  Squilliam was doubly-dangerous, since a cop-driven mislynch would likely have resulted in a dead cop the next day. Moreover, several of the town's ability's had limitations, while neither the mafia nor Kratos did.

I also think the number of scum was a bit too high in light of the powers they got.  We started with seven anti-towns out of twenty players, which sounds appropriate, but that number could (and did) grow because of the potential cultist.  Having the would-be cult leader have three bites at the apple each night made it fairly likely that he would succeed unless he got killed off early, and since he was pro-town until the point of his conversion he was less likely to get killed off early.  Having there be a deputy cult leader was a real drag too; to be honest, it seems borderline mean, since the bigger threat from the cult comes from the paranoia it breeds rather than its killing power.  And it did indeed breed some paranoia.

I also don't think the scum should be permitted to become a bomb, let alone a bomb which takes out two of the people who voted for him.  It seems excessive that the mafia already gets to have TWO night-kills: having one of Kratos' powers take out two of the people who voted for him is overkill, especially since he knew he was a bomb and could thus pass word on to his fellow mafia that they should not be the first or last person to vote for him.  It was, in essence, a way for the mafia to take down two townies at the cost of one of its own, which is not a bad bargain.  Even worse, unless one of our vigilantes stuck around we had no other way to remove the threat, and our vigilantes both had limitations on their kills.

To summarize, it seems to me that the only reason this game was as close as it was was blind luck.  I think future games should scale back the power roles, and they should keep in mind that being able to communicate and coordinate privately is one of the most powerful abilities a faction can have.  I mean it when I say that I enjoyed the game, but I still think we can take some lessons from it to improve future games as well.

completely agree with this whole thing.

I forget who I was talking to about it, but the game was made, accidentally, to be a giant mindfuck.

In theory, it makes sense to have many roles that kill and many roles that protect, along with many players. However, in practice what we saw was that missed kills and unused kills and the like contributed to an aura of illusion. It was an impermeable fog... especially when the mafia not only had one, but two, and then a third, and then 4 ways of making themselves look innocent, while at the same time our only powers of investigation were completely useless against them. For instance:

Mafia godfather: always comes up innocent. also immune to killvestigations
Mafia framer: tricks investigators
Mafia busser: tricks investigators
Kratos: enough information to kill cult members and seem like a free agent
etc..

Add on cult recruiters and sub recruiters, and the fact that many people had the same roles as each other only compounded the confusion. Like, the main thing against nikells was that he was a doctor.

Think about this. In a vanilla game there are 4-5 townies, 2 mafia, and 1-2 other roles being cop and doctor. In vanilla, mafia have no powers whatsoever AND IT'S STILL HARD for town to win.

anyway, rant over. Nikells should have been a bomb. :P

Thanks for the great game everyone. Let's start the next one!

Wow,  well I think this game was horribly unbalanced.  Definitely not one of the better games on this site.   Sorry GodofWar_3ever.    Although it didnt help that we had a town that tore itself apart with its ridiculous random theories and had the blind leading the blind. 

Also,  Cults should never be used again in a Mafia game, ever.  

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=115785&page=1

Next game ! Sign up !@!!

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:

Wow,  well I think this game was horribly unbalanced.  Definitely not one of the better games on this site.   Sorry GodofWar_3ever.    Although it didnt help that we had a town that tore itself apart with its ridiculous random theories and had the blind leading the blind. 

I'm sorry to hear that

Oh well....I tried :/

GodOfWar_3ever said:

Once again, I didn't expect the day time vigilante, cop AND lie detector to die on day one. And hatmoza blew the chance to get a VERY powerful townie.

having a night vigilante is not that powerful. Look how many kills we got with ours, and how many townies we would've killed had they not been "killvestigations". 

Additionally, super-roleblocker is NOT that good of a skill compared to their lynch bomb. Mafia doesn't NEED skills! They could win even with only an assassin, a godfather, and a framer.

IMO if we got kratos, his power should have been to automatically kill a mafia member randomly in the night and prevent his actions from occurring. 

And a mafia bomb! It's bad enough he's a mafia vigilante who is 100% accurate about his targets being non-friendly! That's already a better skill than super-roleblocker AND town vigilante combined!

But still, it was a very close game. Hatmoza was very close to getting dtewi, but it seems like he was tired or not paying attention properly.

It was a great game nonetheless.

GodOfWar_3ever said:
noname2200 said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:

Oh and its my first time hosting. And dsister said that the mafia would be royally fucked when I set up the game with him, and he suggested some of the roles.

We love you 3ever, I personally enjoyed the game, but it was very imbalanced. You got to understand. Scum know eachother while we town got to work very hard to earn the trust of other players. Add to a very powerful Mafia team cultists and you throw a shit storm of confusion for the town.

Still, fun game.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

GodOfWar_3ever said:

I'm sorry to hear that

Oh well....I tried :/

Don't let it get you down, dude.  I meant it when I said it was still fun, and that we appreciate your hosting: it's not an easy job!  And in addition to enjoying ourselves, we learned some lessons about future games, so it's a win-win all around.

Vetteman94 said:

I disagree; the cult is fine.  What we need to realize though is that when throwing in a cult, there needs to be fewer starting scum, since cults are too self-propogating to be balanced with the usual 1/3 formula.  Also, no deputy cult leaders, ever!  And the precaution most games take about stripping the inducted of their powers should be universally applied as well, if a cult is added.